X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 57 Golden Hawk scam again

Hurry it is only listed for 3 days.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1957-Studeb...53.m1438.l2649

Hmm, same BS text writeup, new seller name, car now in Bellevue, not Blaine, WA.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I havent seen the history on this: how do you know its a scam?

Comment

Hold on a second. Let's just take a look at what this guy is actually saying.

"McCullough supercharged 289 in³ 4.7 L V8 275 hp engine replacing the aging and heavy Packard unit. The new driveline relieved the front end of 100 pounds, with a proportionate increase in performance and handling."

First of all, the supercharger was supplied by Paxton during this time, not McCullough (in fact, McCullough made chainsaws). The Packard V8 was not "aging" in 1957, the design was only two years old. Also, how can you measure a "proportionate increase" in performance by simply stating how the new drivetrain was lighter? Would'nt you need more equipment to determine this accurately? Here's the best bit, this scalawag says that the engine is
        289 in³. That is not how you would express that. It should be written as 289 cu. or otherwise you're saying that the engine actually displaces a volume of 24,137,569 units!

Last edited by Stude Shoo-wop!; 05-11-2018, 07:04 PM.
        Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

Robert Paxton McCullough made superchargers, and chainsaws. And in³ is simply shorthand for cubic inch. That aside, the text is substantially the same as a prior ad from another "seller", and appears to be cribbed from a magazine article.
          Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I live pretty close to Bellevue and should go look at it! I'll bring cash and drive it home and have twins... Same car we have seen before. Probably a scam...
            sigpic1957 Goldenhawk

Keeping the passion alive

Comment

Originally posted by Stude Shoo-wop! View Post
              /Cut/
              First of all, the supercharger was supplied by Paxton during this time, not McCullough (in fact, McCullough made chainsaws)./Cut/
              Careful there "Son", your Age and experience is beginning to show. You don't ALWAYS get the "Real Story" from Google or Wikipedia you know!

If you could see the Top of this Emblem on top of this Supercharger you could read the: "McCullough" stamped into it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	57 Gold_WhiteF.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	1720660
              Last edited by StudeRich; 05-12-2018, 02:06 AM.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Ebay has a "vehicle purchase protection" policy. If you feel uncomfortable because this offering looks so bogus, I'd suggest that you read the Ebay policy carefully, follow the requirements to the letter, and bid away. If the seller is a scammer or thief, you will be protected by a very reliable company~! You can't buy a 6 cylinder Silver Hawk for that kind of money.
                Last edited by colt45sa; 05-12-2018, 07:45 AM. Reason: addition to comment

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                  Careful there "Son", your Age and experience is beginning to show. You don't ALWAYS get the "Real Story" from Google or Wikipedia you know!

If you could see the Top of this Emblem on top of this Supercharger you could read the: "McCullough" stamped into it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]72395[/ATTACH]
                  I can't really see what emblem you're talking about, but I do know that experience is the best teacher. You're very experienced with Studes and as such I should believe you on this unless proven wrong.
                  Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

http://vs57.y-block.info/history.htm

Comment

Thanks for the history, Robert. It includes some interesting early automotive photos.

Comment

Rich is correct and for a second I was excited thinking that's my Goldenhawk that he and Mike are about done with. I think next week I can make it up to see.
                        sigpic1957 Goldenhawk

Keeping the passion alive

Comment

Clearly off topic, didn't Mc Cullough also make Scott-Atwater outboards?
                          Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                          50 Champion 2 door*
                          53 Commander K Auto*
                          53 Commander K overdrive*
                          55 President Speedster
                          62 GT 4Speed*
                          63 Avanti R1*
                          64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

1957 Ford & Thunderbird VIN engine code F = 312 4V with factory installed McCullough Supercharger. Supercharger also available in 1957 Mercury 312.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Delete delete
                              64 GT Hawk (K7)
                              1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Working...
                              X