Fender Skirts...not so much

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Skirts...not so much

Ordered a pair of NOS Foxcraft primed steel skirts for my '51 Champion Regal 4-door sedan (10G-W5) from a west coast collector.

I know, I know, skirts are not for everyone's taste, but period accessories are period accessories and the 50's were a wild adventure in styling. Anyways, the Foxcraft catalog back then listed all '47-'52 Champions as having the same skirt (convertible, 2-door coupe and sedan, 4-doors, etc). And I should note these are overlaid skirts not the flush type that fit inside the opening. See pic for the result....

Needless to say I asked to have them sent back to the seller as the curvature and particular mounting spring-rods at the bottom are just not going to work without a lot of stress on the panel.

Has anyone else found the Foxcraft or other manufactured skirts to fit their Champion 4-door sedans? Seeing skirts on a Studebaker is generally a rare sight anyways,

It's hard to tell if they could be made to fit or not from that angle. they might work with a bit of careful shaping, but if you don't feel up to it, send them back.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

can't possibly be the right application. jimmijim
      sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Did you try calling Big Jim's in Texas?

http://www.bigjims.net/

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I still have a pair of CK fender skirts. They were NOS, but I've painted them yellow for my 55 Champion coupe. Didn't look right and they were on the outside of the fender like yours. Repainted green for my 55 Commander coupe - Ditto for it. They only fit with 195 75R15 tires, not 205s.

I am going to try on some other cars before I sell them

Comment

Studebaker International and also Stephen Allen Studebaker both sell skirts for 47-52 cars, I have installed 2 sets.
            1950 Commander Land Cruiser
            1951 Champion Business Coupe
            1951 Commander Starlight
            1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
            1953 Champion Starlight
            1953 Commander Starliner
            1953 2R5
            1956 Golden Hawk Jet Streak
            1957 Silver Hawk
            1957 3E5 Pick-Up
            1959 Silver Hawk
            1961 Hawk
            1962 Cruiser 4 speed
            1963 Daytona Convertible
            1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
            1965 Cruiser
            1970 Avanti

Comment

Thanks everyone - great leads and feedback.

Comment

For what it's worth "Big Jim's" fiberglass copies of the foxcraft skirts and pretty think as they are fiberglass so they look pretty "bulky" on the fender and of course they will mar the paint because they are on the paint. I bought a set and didn't like the looks on the car so I modified Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	1720672 them to fit flush

Comment

Like those red skirts!!!!

Comment

And here are the originals on Check Naugle's '48 Starlite Coupe.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0994[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	1720687

Bill

Comment

Working...
                    X