63 hawk vin check

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63 hawk vin check

Is there anyone here that has the build sheet info on the hawks that can tell me what this car came with for a rear axle? It's a 63 289 2 bbl with a 4 sp. Red black interior. I would guess it was just ordered with what ever came stock as it looks to be pretty plain jane. Vin number 63V29086

"USUALLY", the only person that can tell you how YOUR Car was Originally built is YOU!

The exception is, that "SOME" people do have private lists of Production Data on "Special Limited Prod. (Quantity) Cars" like: '56 Golden Hawks, '55 Speedsters, Jet Thrust (Avanti) Powered GT Hawks, Larks or Avantis.

The Production Orders can be ordered here at the SN Museum:

https://www.studebakermuseum.org/sto...duction-orders

However if a '63 Hawk was not special ordered by the Original Buyer for a special use like Trailering, very Hilly Terrain, Performance Street use, Racing etc. a 4 Speed would have had a Dana Model 44 Axle with a 3.31 Ratio.

A Twin Traction Limited Slip Differential was an available Option, you NEVER know which Options a Dealer or Buyer would have ordered, some are bare without Radios and even Heaters but may have other Options that would enhance Performance or dress it up cheaply.

If you want to know what is in there NOW, just look.

The Axle Model Number is RAISED on the "Web" between the Right Axle Tube and the "Pumpkin" usually on the Rear Side.

The Ratio TAG is under a Bolt at about 8:00 on the Differential Rear Cover.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 05-08-2018, 02:53 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Rich I know the numbers are on the rear end but the car is where it would be a real pain to get under it right now. If it where 3:31 or even around 3:50's it would work fine. It will be behind a 350-350 auto chev so either would work. Guess I will have to drag it into the shop and lift it up and see whats under there and if it's a 3:31 just pull it out. I've also got one under a 58 sliver hawk that had a six, three speed with overdrive but would think that would be a 27 with somewhere around a 4.10 or so.

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
        Rich I know the numbers are on the rear end but the car is where it would be a real pain to get under it right now. If it where 3:31 or even around 3:50's it would work fine. It will be behind a 350-350 auto chev so either would work. Guess I will have to drag it into the shop and lift it up and see whats under there and if it's a 3:31 just pull it out. I've also got one under a 58 sliver hawk that had a six, three speed with overdrive but would think that would be a 27 with somewhere around a 4.10 or so.
        I've got a Dana 44 3.31 TT I could sell. It just might be a tad too far away from you though.
        Jerry Forrester
        Forrester's Chrome
        Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Working...
        X