Stude Trip To & From SB Swap Meet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stude Trip To & From SB Swap Meet

We just got, "the wifes" 63GT back on the road recently, after paint, body and interior work, so used it for the trek to South Bend. My son and I left home, south of Louisville Kentucky on Thursday, after school and work, and spent the night in Kokomo. With an early start next morning, we arrived at the fairgrounds by 8:30AM on Friday. I went broke saving money on Stude parts, many of which I did not realize I needed, till I saw them. We spent lots of time kickin tires and tellin lies with old friends, and made some new ones. As always, there were many nice Studes too look at, and drool over.

It was all over too soon, and we left around noon on Saturday. On the way home, we got caught in the worst rain storm I've seen in awhile, coming through Louisville. All in all, about 675 miles, the old GT never missed a beat, and got just shy of 21 MPG. With the 700R transmission and 3.54 rear end, the 289 is loafing along at 2000-2500 at speed limits of 60-70.

As I have said many times before, every mile in a Studebaker is an adventure. When we arrived home, our fun meters were pegged.

Thanks to all the hard workers in South Bend that continue to make this wonderful event happen each year.

Okay Joe, now get out there with your shop vac and suck up all the water out of the floorboards and trunk.
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Rats Joe - sorry I did not get to touch base with you!

I crossed over the Ohio in Louisville @3:30 on Saturday - feel your pain - even with RainX and other modern technology - there was many times were 40 mph was as fast as one could go. Think it was the 7th rainiest day in Louisville's history... At one point, I was wondering if the Derby was going to have to be a swim instead of a run.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
        Okay Joe, now get out there with your shop vac and suck up all the water out of the floorboards and trunk.
        I have had the door open, with fan blowing on it since yesterday. After another day or so, will set a dehumidifier on the front seat, close all windows and vents, for a couple of days. The dehumidifier will make it seem like the car has been sitting in the desert for a month. Even condensation in the gauges will clear up.

The shop vac was for when I was younger, and had more energy and gumption to fool with it. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
          Rats Joe - sorry I did not get to touch base with you!

I crossed over the Ohio in Louisville @3:30 on Saturday - feel your pain - even with RainX and other modern technology - there was many times were 40 mph was as fast as one could go. Think it was the 7th rainiest day in Louisville's history... At one point, I was wondering if the Derby was going to have to be a swim instead of a run.
          We musta been within 1/2 hour of each other. Yep, the rain was pretty bad. I stayed in the hammer lane all the way through, because it seemed safer there, but still 35-40 much of the time. Hydroplaning was also a concern, at times.

Comment

I caught the part about your fun meters being pegged! That's what makes it worth the time and money we invest in our projects. Glad you had a good trip, and time spent with your son. ( Despite the rain).

Comment

Joe, was great seeing you again!

Peter Bishop
              Director,
              Northeast Zone

Comment

My young friend Anthony and I made it back home to California just fine and even stopped in Nebraska to pick up a car to deliver to another Studebaker friend. as some of you might have seen Anthony selling at my tables and riding his un-an-cyle around the grounds, this was his first meet and really liked it and the people. Every thing went well drove the 2300 miles there with out any problems ,delivered the 61 Lark sold some parts, gave away the last of them to the Jim Pepper auction, picked up and brought back parts for others back here all in all a very nice 4700 mile round trip. hope to see most of you in Tacoma.
                Candbstudebakers
                Castro Valley,
                California

Comment

He didn't have any takers for a test ride on that unicycle as of Friday noon....

Comment

One of the reasons I arrived back home in one piece is because I did not try to ride that thing. Besides being treated very shabbily at SB, I had a near perfect trip & only used my wipers about 15 min. the entire trip. Nice, warm weather this year for a change. I found plenty of treasures & delivered most of the parts I brought, & just got stiffed on 2 bulky items.
                    Barry'd in Studes

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                      My young friend Anthony and I made it back home to California just fine and even stopped in Nebraska to pick up a car to deliver to another Studebaker friend. as some of you might have seen Anthony selling at my tables and riding his un-an-cyle around the grounds, this was his first meet and really liked it and the people. Every thing went well drove the 2300 miles there with out any problems ,delivered the 61 Lark sold some parts, gave away the last of them to the Jim Pepper auction, picked up and brought back parts for others back here all in all a very nice 4700 mile round trip. hope to see most of you in Tacoma.
                      Thanks for bringing yourself and your parts to South Bend! Anthony also won the wooden Studebaker Wheel that the Chapter was raffling off too. Glad you made it home safe.

Comment

Working...
                      X