Wire Wheels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wire Wheels?

There is a debate going on here at work about the 57 Golden Hawk factory wheel options. Were wire spoke wheels available in 1957?

Thanks,
    John

Years ago I heard they were an Option. I wonder if it was an option that sold so few they weren't even listed in advertising?

In the 70's I learned that real wire wheels were an option on Corvairs, but I've only seen one set, and heard about a second set. They were made with a splined hub and knock off center spinner. Foolishly I didn't buy the set for $200 when I saw them.

Comment

Wow! You debate Studebaker stuff at work? I wanna work there!
      Ed Sallia
      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

I believe they were available, through the period Newman-Altman S-P accessory books, as a (roughly) $150 option.
        Last edited by Stude Shoo-wop!; 04-30-2018, 03:19 PM.
        Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

Originally posted by JLau View Post
          There is a debate going on here at work about the 57 Golden Hawk factory wheel options. Were wire spoke wheels available in 1957?

Thanks,
          John
          True wire wheels were not an option on 1957 Hawks. I believe that the confusion comes in due to the simulated wire wheel wheelcover that was an option starting in mid-1956 model year. 1957 Hawk sales literature referred to those wheelcovers as; "spoke-type wheel discs".
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by Stude Shoo-wop! View Post
            I believe they were available, through the period Newman-Altman S-P accessory books, as a (roughly) $150 option.
            When you say "period" you can not be referring to 1957, as there were no Newman-Altman books at that time. N-A MAY have offered them much later than 1957 as fitting Hawks. This would make them far removed from "factory wheel options" as the OP asked about.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Could it be there was a factory show car that had them on just for an event?
              Originally posted by studegary View Post
              True wire wheels were not an option on 1957 Hawks. I believe that the confusion comes in due to the simulated wire wheel wheelcover that was an option starting in mid-1956 model year. 1957 Hawk sales literature referred to those wheelcovers as; "spoke-type wheel discs".
              "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

1950 Commander Land Cruiser
                1951 Champion Business Coupe
                1951 Commander Starlight
                1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
                1953 Champion Starlight
                1953 Commander Starliner
                1953 2R5
                1956 Golden Hawk Jet Streak
                1957 Silver Hawk
                1957 3E5 Pick-Up
                1959 Silver Hawk
                1961 Hawk
                1962 Cruiser 4 speed
                1963 Daytona Convertible
                1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
                1965 Cruiser
                1970 Avanti

Comment

When you say "period" you can not be referring to 1957, as there were no Newman-Altman books at that time. N-A MAY have offered them much later than 1957 as fitting Hawks. This would make them far removed from "factory wheel options" as the OP asked about.
                  Yes, I did mean later on into the 1970s and 80s. I missed that key word "factory" the first time I read the original post.
                  Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                    Yes, but I do not consider them as a factory option due to that. For example, the Hawk that had its roof two-tone for show, but was not a factory option.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Your statement, "True wire wheels" is confusing. At best, I take it you are referring to the removable wheel covers that are made to appear like a true spoked wheel that were offered from 1953 through mid-1956, and again from late-1964 to 1966.

"True wire wheels" were not offered on ANY postwar Studebaker, period!

Kelsey-Hayes did manufacture true spoke wheels in limited numbers for Cadillac, Buick Skylarks and Ford Thunderbird and a handful of other low-production cars at the time, but Studebaker never offered them. Not until the early 1970's did Nate Altman add Borrani wire wheels on the Avanti II option list.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                        A couple of 1963 G.T. Hawk showcars did, including this one: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ago-auto-show) , http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ighlight=mcacn , the 'Black Hawk' show car, http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ow-Avanti-etc) and I believe the first SuperHawk #1 that is currently in the Bell collection had them installed by the factory.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
                          Wow! You debate Studebaker stuff at work? I wanna work there!
                          Ha! I manage a classic car collection for a gentleman. Sort of a dream job for a lot of people.

Comment

I knew a family in Greencastle which had a corvair with real wires. I thought they were dealer installed options.
                            Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

That's why it's so difficult to recruit IM show judges. I've had innumerable similar conversations over the past sixty years. "Those chrome wire wheels, 2x4-bbls 374" Caribbean, twin superchargers, 4-speed, leather interior, disc brakes, Twin Traction, magnesium wheels, et al, are just tooo cool. I want them on my '53K/early Lark/Avanti/GT, but I want to be able to enter it in the stock class and find some documentation that it was factory original."

jack vines
                              PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                              X