Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E. Davis
    replied
    Couldn't agree more Peter. My 61 Hawk has a four speed and when I bought it I thought it was the finest thing since sliced bread....now 10 years later and much older the shifting in traffic is getting to be a pain in the ass as well as in my bad knee. Wish I had an automatic because I would probably drive the car more with an easier shifting system. The moral of this story is "think ahead" before you leap because time waits for no man.

Leave a comment:

• plee4139
    replied
    MY Sky Hawk originally came with the BW automatic, and when it evidently failed it was replaced with a three-speed, not sure if it had OD. The restorer and I agreed to put in an automatic, and luckily he had one bolted to a failed 289. Job done. While I don't normally mind shifting, in today's heavy traffic conditions it would quickly become an annoying chore for me.

Leave a comment:

• Big Smooth
    replied
    Rich is about done with mine. My GH was original an auto and had a nice 3 sp overdrive conversion years ago. Besides wanting it back to originiaI I couldn't shift as the shifter was located so far left if was under my thigh. At 6'5 it was miserable. I went back and forth many times on what to do. In my case and the specific car I decided return to stock.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    I JUST did a conversion from Manual to Automatic Trans. on a very nice '57 Golden Hawk, so I have listed all the correct conversion Parts for it and copied here:

Brake Pedal Lever 536141
    Pedal Pad 536378
    Pull back Spring 535189 (7 1/8")
    Pedal Shaft Bushing 517152 (2)
    Rod, Pedal to M/C 534901
    Bolt, to Pedal G138018

I left off all of the Shift Column Parts to convert to Auto since you only would need a 4 Speed "Bell" to get rid of the Column Shift Lever CORRECTLY, or Not.

Using a floor shift and GM Trans. conversion will simplify THAT, and complicate many other things like: Throttle Pressure Control, New Driveshaft, Speedometer conversion, Rear Engine Mount Support, number 2 AND 3 Crossmember removal, adding New Crossmember, etc., etc.

Leave a comment:

• Cash
    replied
    Manual brakes

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Does your Hawk have Manual or Power Brakes? The Automatic Trans. Brake Pedal Parts vary depending on that.

Leave a comment:

• Cash
    replied
    Okay y’all...looks like I’m going with a gm aod swap. My good buddy, Mike Griffin and I are going to do the swap. He’s done one before, as he has a 700r4 in his GT Hawk, but since were going form a 3speed manual to an automatic, I was wondering if there’s a fairly complete list of what I will need to do this right. I’m also think of doing a floor shifter instead of trying to source an auto column. Any help or guidance welcome.
    The car is a 61 289 Hawk, the original trans is a t86 with o/d, and she has a 3.73 rear end.
    Cash

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    Originally posted by Cash View Post
    Jack, I want to do that so bad it hurts, but from what Ive been told the Hurst Indy shifter rods will not clear the O/D solenoid. Have I been misinformed, or do you know a workaround? Thanks! Cash
    Yes, I've done it both ways. On trucks, I make a bracket to mount the shifter higher and forward and then can use straight rods. On cars, the shifter usually wants to be further back, so I bend the rods to go over the solenoid.

The one caveat is never, ever attempt to do this with the transmission in situ. That's next to impossible. However, since you're going to do a tranny swap anyway, with the tranny out on the bench, it's very easy to see what needs to be done to clear what.

Also, if you're going to DIY, consider searching for the better Hurst. The Indy is actually an old Mr. Gasket design and not a true Hurst.

jack vines
    Last edited by PackardV8; 04-30-2018, 04:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Cash
    replied
    Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
    X2 on staying with the 3-speed OD and adding a floor shift. It's the best all-around CASO combination. The T86s are still available for cheap. The Hurst Indy is available for not too much.

Yes, 5-speeds are better, but can be expensive to do right.

No, the car won't be any faster or better fuel economy with a 5-speed.

jack vines
    Jack, I want to do that so bad it hurts, but from what Ive been told the Hurst Indy shifter rods will not clear the O/D solenoid. Have I been misinformed, or do you know a workaround?
    Thanks!
    Cash

Leave a comment:

• 70Avanti2
    replied
    I think $3,000 is good ball park est. to switch over to a aod or 5 speed.

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    X2 on staying with the 3-speed OD and adding a floor shift. It's the best all-around CASO combination. The T86s are still available for cheap. The Hurst Indy is available for not too much.

Yes, 5-speeds are better, but can be expensive to do right.

No, the car won't be any faster or better fuel economy with a 5-speed.

jack vines

Leave a comment:

• Mrkelly
    replied
    Cash
    I would contact Mark Frank owner of MDS engine service in Bruceville, Tx. 254-857-8545 or 254-722-7757. He can probably help you out. He will either have one, know where one is or can do an excellent job repairing yours for reasonable price. He's worked on two of my Studebaker transmissions in the past so I know first hand.

Leave a comment:

• Cash
    replied
    Originally posted by jerezstude View Post
    Cash

I will have a rebuilt transmission that will fit your car in South Bend this week, not sure where McKenney is.
    Jerry Kurtz
    McKinney is just north of Dallas Texas. Don't think I can make it to South Bend, unfortunately

Leave a comment:

• jerezstude
    replied
    Cash

I will have a rebuilt transmission that will fit your car in South Bend this week, not sure where McKenney is.
    Jerry Kurtz

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    The standard with overdrive is a good combination in a '61 Hawk. I suggest either rebuilding what you have or put a replacement of the same type in.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X