Rambler....I mean Lark race day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rambler....I mean Lark race day

Just got back from the San Diego Antique drags at Barona raceway. Best run was 9.07 @ 90mph In the 1/8 mile due to the fact I ran street tires and pretty much could't hook it up all the way thru 1st gear . Really regret not mounting the slicks but then I also would've had to install a driveshaft loop, so thats on the list for next time . People really got a kick out of the little pink lark looking so stock yet sounding so good going down the track and got several comment on how hard it barked the tires even going into 3rd gear. Only problem was the track announcer kept calling it a RAMBLER

Might want to let that announcer know that he is delivering false news, which is not only wrong, but seriously..................a Rambler?
    Kids these days just don't know if it's not in a video game.
    sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by thunderations View Post
      Might want to let that announcer know that he is delivering false news, which is not only wrong, but seriously..................a Rambler?
      Kids these days just don't know if it's not in a video game.

I know right?! Is it really that hard to know the difference between a unibody Rambler versus a body-on-frame Lark? I'm 17 and even I know that. Also, I do play video games, so be careful when you use generalizations.
      Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

Best part of the last two days was the positive feedback from the racers and spectators , It was the only Stude there and people were very happy to come see it and talk about it. On my last run I screwed the pooch , came out too hard , spun like heck and missed 2nd .... so I just idled down the track. But several people showed up to see if the car was OK and said they were rooting for it. Good day at the track

Comment

In the 70-80's we used to have rear window stickers saying all kind of funny &/or serious stuff, these days it seems there ought to be one saying "Studebaker NEVER built Ramblers!"
          If it would've been me at the race I would've stepped out of the car on the start-line & told'em to stop showing of their stupidity!
          That's actually quite exactly how bull-headed I am...
          sigpic

Josephine
          Champion V8
          4d sedan

Comment

Exactly, turn off the engine and step out of the car at the start line. When they want to know why, tell them that you must be in the wrong lane and will move when the Rambler shows up. All this announcer is doing is passing on false information to the fans that may take it as gospel and then continue passing on bad info. Need to stop bad news before it becomes a fact.
            Originally posted by Noxnabaker View Post
            In the 70-80's we used to have rear window stickers saying all kind of funny &/or serious stuff, these days it seems there ought to be one saying "Studebaker NEVER built Ramblers!"
            If it would've been me at the race I would've stepped out of the car on the start-line & told'em to stop showing of their stupidity!
            That's actually quite exactly how bull-headed I am...
            sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
            1950 Champion Convertible
            1950 Champion 4Dr
            1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
            1957 Thunderbird

Comment

I think this "mistake" has lasted so long that it is hard to dispel it. I have had both my '65 Cruiser and '61 Champ called Ramblers.
              Joe Roberts
              '61 R1 Champ
              '65 Cruiser
              Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Rambler sounds to much like Rattler to me.

Comment

Still: Imagen younger folx being there & then going around telling everyone "that's a Rambler!" as soon as they see a Studebaker... Good enough? Nope, but embarasingly silly!
                  sigpic

Josephine
                  Champion V8
                  4d sedan

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
                    I think this "mistake" has lasted so long that it is hard to dispel it. I have had both my '65 Cruiser and '61 Champ called Ramblers.
                    It works in reverse also. In 1968 my brother bought my Uncle's '62 Rambler Ambassador that was being traded in on a new car. At least one person while looking at it back then said "Nice Lark."

Comment

Working...
                    X