Now WTF???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now WTF???

So there i was happily detailing the engine bay, getting rid of all the grime form being in the shop for so long, being extra careful not to dislodge or disturb anything, and I notice this blue wire with a clip on the end, coming out of a bundle of wires, just hanging there. As it's only a few inches long, there's only so many places it can reach, including through a hole in the firewall where it can be reached. looked under the dash and didn't see anything which would hold a clip without one attached. Also, the temp gauge wasn't working at all, and I saw some water on the frame below the water pump which was replaced. now, one of the reasons the engine failed was because it wasn't hooked up properly, but I felt (couldn't see) the back of it and it felt secure. Is this a coincidence? Is God punishing me for enjoying my car so much?
    peter lee

Might be, but it deep-ends on the kind of god being around at that moment...
    sigpic

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

Comment

Define a Blue Wire with a "CLIP"?

Usually correct or Factory wire ends are a Round Bullet connector, Male or Female, or a Flat Spade Type connector Male or Female.

OR, a "CLIP" is usually a Temporary Alligator "Clip".
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

If it is a short wire, close to the firewall, perhaps it goes to the coolant sending unit. Some of these, instead of an "eyelet" type connector that is fastened to a threaded post with a nut...instead was a flat ended stud with a clip style wire connector that merely slid onto the sending unit. Check it out.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Keldoran God of Cars

http://fictspedia.wikia.com/wiki/Keldoran_God_of_Cars
          "Every man I meet on the street is superior to me in some respect, and from that I can learn."
          R.W. Emerson

Comment

Which side of firewall? Lt side or drivers is where your temp sending unit wire should be close to the fire wall. Sending unit should be at the back of the Lt head on a 289.

Comment

Is this a retorical question, or are you expecting help to figure out what this wire is?

If you need help, then the make, year, model, and equipment of the car might assist us in helping you. Even better would be a picture of this wire and clip...............
              Paul
              Winston-Salem, NC
              Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Sometimes, if the car has an automatic transmission, the wiring harness has what appears to be an extra wire that went to the overdrive, if the car had been so equipped.

But I agree with the request for information on what the car is.
                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

The temp sender on my '61 Hawk has a "clip", but the wire is orange. - Jim

Comment

When I read "clip" I think of alligator clip. What type of terminal is on the end of the wire?

Also need the information as mentioned above.

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                      If it is a short wire, close to the firewall, perhaps it goes to the coolant sending unit. Some of these, instead of an "eyelet" type connector that is fastened to a threaded post with a nut...instead was a flat ended stud with a clip style wire connector that merely slid onto the sending unit. Check it out.
                      That sounds right. Now where is the cooling sending unit located?
                      peter lee

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
                        Which side of firewall? Lt side or drivers is where your temp sending unit wire should be close to the fire wall. Sending unit should be at the back of the Lt head on a 289.
                        Originally posted by plee4139 View Post
                        That sounds right. Now where is the cooling sending unit located?
                        Er...I too have sometimes not read posts closely.
                        John Clary
                        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                          Define a Blue Wire with a "CLIP"?

Usually correct or Factory wire ends are a Round Bullet connector, Male or Female, or a Flat Spade Type connector Male or Female.

OR, a "CLIP" is usually a Temporary Alligator "Clip".
                          It looks like the type of clip used to connect speaker wires.
                          peter lee

Comment

OK...I found this "on the net"... I think I have one like this on my '60 Lark.
                            John Clary
                            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Coolant temp sensor is generally located on the back of one head.

Comment

Working...
                              X