Clear Vinyl Seat (Slip-On) Covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clear Vinyl Seat (Slip-On) Covers

Aside from the obvious hot-weather skin-adhesion challenges with these 1940-1950's technology covers....I had a kit made by Auto-Craft years ago for a '63 Dodge 330 to protect - yet still see - my OEM upholstery. They were distributed through good-old JC Whitney back in the 90's.

Has anyone had a clear vinyl kit made for their Studebaker, in recent years, from a supplier that may still be out there...- ?

Last time I asked same question, the answer was "Why should you do that when people can make new upholstery for the same price as a clear cover?"

Comment

Originally posted by Son O Lark View Post
      Last time I asked same question, the answer was "Why should you do that when people can make new upholstery for the same price as a clear cover?"
      Clearly (pun-intended) these people who ask have no desire to preserve history....

Comment

I got mine from JC Whitney some years ago. Have you looked in their catalog?
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
        10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
        56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
        60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Chevy offered those as a factory accessory in the early 60s. I bought a box of them once -- it had six front seat bottom covers in it. Still haven't worn the first one out after 40 years.
          Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by NCDave51 View Post
            Aside from the obvious hot-weather skin-adhesion challenges with these 1940-1950's technology covers....I had a kit made by Auto-Craft years ago for a '63 Dodge 330 to protect - yet still see - my OEM upholstery. They were distributed through good-old JC Whitney back in the 90's.

Has anyone had a clear vinyl kit made for their Studebaker, in recent years, from a supplier that may still be out there...- ?
            Probably 30 years ago I had a few sets of NOS Studebaker accessory seat covers and I could swear that I had a set of clear Studebaker accessory seat covers. However, I can find only the various colors and materials in my 1950 Accessories book. Many of the covers were priced at $6.95 for the entire set.
            Back in the days of cloth seat fabrics seat cover sets were very common.
            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Many thanks, all. It's one of those weird items you'd think our wider industry would still want to reproduce?

JC Whitney was checked and they have moved on, as has LeBaron Bonney (who purchased Auto-Craft).

Keep any suggestions coming - thanks!

Dave

Comment

I would be shocked if they're to be found anywhere but Auto Zone or the FLAPS of your like. I don't even think they make them for couches & seats that were very popular in the 70-80's......
                Last edited by jackb; 04-26-2018, 05:36 AM.

Comment

Your attempt to drop the "L" from word Latinos is plainly transparent, and borders on a 'slur'...why go there??? Should have just said they were popular with many groups of people.
                  Originally posted by jackb View Post
                  I would be shocked if they're to be found anywhere but Auto Zone or the FLAPS of your like. I don't even think they make them for couches & seats that were very popular with the _atinos in the 70-80's......

Comment

I wonder why those clear plastic seat covers from JC Whitney were so popular "back in the day"? Perhaps it was a shared attitude of "mend and make do" or maybe it was simply to keep the seats nice and clean for trade-in time?
                    Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

I have clear plastic seat covers on my 58 Packard because the upholstery is original and kinda fragile. Do not recall where I got them- probably Auto-Crafters- but they look nice, fit well and keep a survivor.

Comment

Originally posted by Stude Shoo-wop! View Post
                        I wonder why those clear plastic seat covers from JC Whitney were so popular "back in the day"? Perhaps it was a shared attitude of "mend and make do" or maybe it was simply to keep the seats nice and clean for trade-in time?
                        The upholstery materials of those days were not nearly as stain-proof or durable as what we have become accustomed to today. Most people took/take pride in a new car, and putting those clear plastic seat covers on the (at least bottom front) seat would ensure that they didn't get stained or torn. I once bought a used 72 Nova that had had those clear seat covers installed on all the seats by the selling dealer. The underlying seat covers were absolutely pristine.
                        Skip Lackie

Comment

My Dad used to always buy those for his new cars, I believe his came from a company named Fingerhut.

Comment

All seat covers used to be very popular, not just the clear vinyl. I got my 55 Speedster from a friend in 1964 he had, had them installed on the original leather seats. I believe that it was done at a franchise named "Surfit." A quick google search shows that they do now are house interior furniture covers. I'm sure that the 60's and the proliferation of new car vinyl, and bucket seats, pretty much did in the form fitting, custom cover industry.

Comment

I haven't seen clear seat covers since my dad had them installed on his new 1960 Valiant 9 passenger wagon. I didn't care for them, as they were cold in the winter and sticky in the summer. I just drove my 1950 Land Cruiser home 2 days ago, and I want to protect the nice original upholstery both from dirt, and from fading, so I bought a nice set of flannel bed sheets with a plaid pattern that resembles seat covers of the early 50's.

Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	1720461

Comment

Working...
                              X