Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping a running car domestically

Hey All,

I'm looking into shipping a Lark from Denver to Eastern Pennsylvania; it runs just fine. Who would you suggest (or not suggest) and any idea of how much I should expect to pay?
    1952 Studebaker Champion Starliner
    1953 Studebaker Champion Starliner
    1965 Oldsmobile 98 Convertible
    1967 Mercedes 250SL

I have just had a very good experience with the company Montway (www.montway.com).
    The car was picked up and delivered very quickly.
    I had previously looked at uship for prices. When booking on the homepage of Montway I have saved a good $100

Comment

You'll likely pay $1000-1500. for that trip. Just shop around and catch a transporter that has cars going your way..... You may have to wait some. As to reliability, its like an engine on the garage floor: hope to get lucky. They all play the game the same way. A few years back everyone was raving about a trucking company "just for Studes". They're out of business now and when I called them their estimate was 20% higher than all the others..... Personally, I've shipped 4 cars from out west to Mass.......they all came in <2 weeks, undamaged and I was happy with each of the different companies......be patient...there are horror stories out there too...

Comment

System is rigged where you have to go through a Broker who will charge a minimum of $100 fee for booking with a 3rd party Carrier. I deal direct with a husband/wife owner/operator team out of L.A. California. They are the nicest most honest folk's you could ever meet. They are also one of the few Carriers with a winch on their rig so hauling non-ops is not an issue either. I just had a non-op sedan delivered to Jasper. Ga. from remote Yreka, Ca. near the Oregon border (2300 miles) and they only charged $1500.

Skip the scammers who bid low and never pick up your car and/or hold it hostage for more money and call Damon @ 818-263-3716 for a pain free experience. Tell him Mark with the '54 ford gasser from Yreka told you to call (and no, I don't get a finders fee) just trying to help folk's out.

Comment

If it runs well and you trust it, why not enjoy a nice drive in a Studebaker. Should only take a few days and then a cheap flight back to Denver.
          It's not the destination sometimes, but the journey.
          sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
          1950 Champion Convertible
          1950 Champion 4Dr
          1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
          1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Hook up with a trucker going west and bum a ride from him to Denver, take a cab from what ever truck stop he lets you off at to the car and have a fun ride home.

Comment

I shipped my 50 Commander with Peg's Trucking based on recommendations here. That was back in 2009. And again I used her in 2013. I do not know if she is still recommended by other forum users. She acted as broker both times.

Passport Transport, expensive but no horror stories. Good communication.
              Frank DuVal

50 Commander 4 door

Comment

Peg is out of the hauling biz. i had nothing but praise for her and her late husband.

i have found that you look online but then call them for a quote. i've had a couple of them that knocked off a few hundred bucks over their internet price. i would think a spread between $1,000 and $1,500 would be about right. i would lock in something quick since fuel prices appear to be getting higher this spring and summer.
                Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

I shipped a 48 Ply convert from Denver to Dallas. I went through a snow storm in an open trailer and received substantial paint damage. If the car is very nice, I would recommend a closed tailor. I also filed the claim on my own insurance (Hagerty) because the transporters are bad about for not wanting to give you anything for damage.

The sweetness of a good deal wears off faster the the bitterness of a poor job.

Comment

What's the difference beteen open & closed pricing ? $1000. open transport =_____ ?? closed container...??

Comment

Originally posted by gsx_martin View Post
                      I have just had a very good experience with the company Montway (www.montway.com).
                      The car was picked up and delivered very quickly.
                      I had previously looked at uship for prices. When booking on the homepage of Montway I have saved a good $100
                      I've used Montway for 2 or 3 cars I've had shipped. Best experiences I've had with a car shipper, period.

Comment

Thanks for all of the suggestions and input.
                        1952 Studebaker Champion Starliner
                        1953 Studebaker Champion Starliner
                        1965 Oldsmobile 98 Convertible
                        1967 Mercedes 250SL

Comment

Have to chime in.

Had the ABSOLUTE WORST EXPERIENCE WITH MONTWAY LAST SUMMER.

Went through Uship. Montway took the job but no booking after a week. Finally got a trucker spoke to him and then he backed out. Now two weeks had passed.

Never again. Remember, the brokers have NO TRUCKS. Yes, there are some good brokers that deal with reputable car haulers, but the whole business is buyer beware.

Comment

I agree with driving the car home. I just drove my 50 Land Cruiser home 650 miles, and I enjoyed the trip despite the bad brakes, bad tires, bad carb, and leaking gas tank.

Here's a link to a guy that does good enclosed hauling.

http://www.trulyvintagetrailers.city...Transport.html

Comment

Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
                              Have to chime in.

Had the ABSOLUTE WORST EXPERIENCE WITH MONTWAY LAST SUMMER.

Went through Uship. Montway took the job but no booking after a week. Finally got a trucker spoke to him and then he backed out. Now two weeks had passed.

Never again. Remember, the brokers have NO TRUCKS. Yes, there are some good brokers that deal with reputable car haulers, but the whole business is buyer beware.
                              If a broker/trucker backing out is the “WORST EXPERIENCE” you’ve had, you’ve been pretty lucky with shipping cars.

Comment

Working...
                              X