Why it wouldn't run. ;)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why it wouldn't run. ;)

I knew the seller of my new-to-me 52 pickup had someone trying to get the full flow 259 running. They had at least one backfire and the carburetor is now incomplete. I can deal with it, but yesterday I was removing the strangely modified air cleaner and taking pictures for posterity. I saw one glaring mistake someone made. Do you see it? Ignore the wire nuts and such.
    Attached Files
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Missing gasket for top half of carb!
    Tom McCaffrey

Comment

Don't know about the air cleaner, but that generator/PS pump is a piece of gold. This Pickup have power steering?
      64 GT Hawk (K7)
      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

The battery hold down is missing.

Comment

Accelerator pump plunger is missing altogether. And that engine could best be described as "festering".
          Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Is that combo gen/ps pump some brand's OEM, or home made?
            Also, breather modifications like those are often an attempt to deal with a REAL oil burner.

Comment

Gotta hook the fuel line up, don't you?
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

That must be a Chrysler Product's Stromberg Carb. it has NO Automatic Choke!

That PCV Crankcase breather setup is just Crazy! I wonder where that HUGE Hose from the Left Oil Cap goes?

Either way, ALL of that Plumbing store/drunk plumber stuff needs to GO!
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

From that aircleaner set up, I'd say you may have a mosquito fogger. Looks like the resister wire is buggered up.

Comment

I mentioned that the carb was incomplete so that's not it. The weird plumbing is apparently (I hope) the hardware to pass California emissions requirements.
                    1. The truck has been out of California at least since 2004 so I hope it was not burning lots of oil that long.
                    2. The generator/power steering pump surprised me too. The truck does not have power steering.(just Armstrong ) Did some Studebakers use this type briefly?
                    3. The truck does not have a Palma approved battery hold down, but that would not keep it from running. It does have a pair of twisted steel wires pushed off to one side. More engineering.
                    You will probably have to enlarge the pictures to find the item I am talking about. Look close. When I saw it I was amused.
                    Searcy, Arkansas
                    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                      That must be a Chrysler Product's Stromberg Carb. it has NO Automatic Choke!

That PCV Crankcase breather setup is just Crazy! I wonder where that HUGE Hose from the Left Oil Cap goes?

Either way, ALL of that Plumbing store/drunk plumber stuff needs to GO!
                      I'll take some close-ups of the set-up and post them for posterity. Some rat rodder may want a copy.
                      Searcy, Arkansas
                      1952 2R pickup

Comment

I had the same thought as Jeff but that obviously didn't help... so the vaccum?
                        sigpic

Josephine
                        Champion V8
                        4d sedan

Comment

Ignore the disconnected stuff. Someone was working on the engine and did not put everything back. The item I am referring to is installed, but wrong. Keep looking.
                          Searcy, Arkansas
                          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Can't see how the ignitioncoil-to-distributer cable is run but there's a fried smal cable from the coil...?
                            sigpic

Josephine
                            Champion V8
                            4d sedan

Comment

Do you think the 6V coil is the issue?
                              Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Comment

Working...
                              X