Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why it wouldn't run. ;)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Gm used that type gen/pump setup in the mid 50s or there about.

    Comment


    • #17
      Is that the throttle linkage attached to the choke ? Also, where does the coil wire go that should be in the center of the distributor ? Looks like a regular plug wire.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Skinnys Garage View Post
        Do you think the 6V coil is the issue?
        Bingo! There are other problems, but I bet the "mechanic" who they had working on this truck went to his FLAPS and they gave him a coil for a stock 52 Studebaker truck because that's what the computer said.
        Attached Files
        "In the heart of Arkansas."
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
        1952 2R pickup

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
          Bingo! There are other problems, but I bet the "mechanic" who they had working on this truck went to his FLAPS and they gave him a coil for a stock 52 Studebaker truck because that's what the computer said.
          I don't think that would stop it from running.
          But I do think the missing fuel line and the missing accelerator pump may have something to do with it.
          Plus that huge vacuum leak at the right front carburetor bolt.
          Jerry Forrester
          Forrester's Chrome
          Douglasville, Georgia

          See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
            I don't think that would stop it from running.
            But I do think the missing fuel line and the missing accelerator pump may have something to do with it.
            Plus that huge vacuum leak at the right front carburetor bolt.
            I wasn't sure if the 6 volt coil would have kept it from running, but it couldn't have been good. It is more of an indication that their mechanic was not careful. The truck was running and driving when the owners became unable to drive any more. The carburetor should not have required replacing. I got a disassembled carb with the truck that I think was the one originally run on it.
            Attached Files
            "In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

            Comment


            • #21
              I hope you guys have enjoyed this little game. I could have just posted a picture and comment about the 6 volt coil, but I thought this was more fun. Now I have to get this thing running so I can take my granddaughter for a ride....if I can get the controls back.
              Attached Files
              "In the heart of Arkansas."
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
              1952 2R pickup

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
                I hope you guys have enjoyed this little game. I could have just posted a picture and comment about the 6 volt coil, but I thought this was more fun. Now I have to get this thing running so I can take my granddaughter for a ride....if I can get the controls back.
                AND DO IT SOON! If you are like me, you realize how fleeting the time is when a child is this young and time is so precious. It won't be long before this little girl has a little one of her own and you are left clinging to the memories.

                By the way, some of the best pics on the forum of recent...
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

                SDC member since 1975

                Comment


                • #23
                  She's just turned 3 and stays with us every day during the week. I'll keep her exposed to Studebakers.
                  "In the heart of Arkansas."
                  Searcy, Arkansas
                  1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                  1952 2R pickup

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    I am curious about the electrical system in the truck. Has the truck been converted to 12 volts? Is the truck 6 volts and the engine 12 volts? The 55 259s were 6 volts then 12 volts thereafter. I have a 63 259 in my 54 sedan and it starts and runs on 6 volts. Your 6 volt coil and ballast resistor caught my eye at first. I had to ask myself is the engine running on 6 volts, first question, then why is there a ballast resistor and then I noticed a 12 volt battery. This all confused me, as a 52 should be 6 volts but the engine was 12 volts. Could you explain the electrical system in the truck.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by altair View Post
                      I am curious about the electrical system in the truck. Has the truck been converted to 12 volts? Is the truck 6 volts and the engine 12 volts? The 55 259s were 6 volts then 12 volts thereafter. I have a 63 259 in my 54 sedan and it starts and runs on 6 volts. Your 6 volt coil and ballast resistor caught my eye at first. I had to ask myself is the engine running on 6 volts, first question, then why is there a ballast resistor and then I noticed a 12 volt battery. This all confused me, as a 52 should be 6 volts but the engine was 12 volts. Could you explain the electrical system in the truck.
                      Yes it has been converted to 12 volts. I am not impressed by some of the wiring, but I will replace it all.
                      Attached Files
                      "In the heart of Arkansas."
                      Searcy, Arkansas
                      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                      1952 2R pickup

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        I remember actually seeing a '58 Golden Hawk that was factory equipped with a generator/power steering pump and air conditioning. There just wasn't enough room under the hood for an air conditioning compressor along with power steering and a supercharger so Studebaker used them to solve the space problem.
                        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
                          I wasn't sure if the 6 volt coil would have kept it from running, but it couldn't have been good. It is more of an indication that their mechanic was not careful. The truck was running and driving when the owners became unable to drive any more. The carburetor should not have required replacing. I got a disassembled carb with the truck that I think was the one originally run on it.


                          You will find that this Top Half is stamped by the Fuel Inlet as 6-125 or 6-127 which is the High Choke '59-'60 Stude. Stromberg WW for the "Clamp on" Air Cleaner.



                          The bottom Half of the "Spare" is a '63 6-130, or 6-132 which is a '64, WITH the PCV Fitting (Tube) in the Rear, it's Top would have a Stud fastener for the Air Cleaner, they are NOT compatible.

                          With the Carb. on the Truck, you might have one complete one!
                          Last edited by StudeRich; 04-21-2018, 02:17 PM.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                            You will find that this Top Half is stamped by the Fuel Inlet as 6-125 or 6-127 which is the High Choke '59-'60 Stude. Stromberg WW for the "Clamp on" Air Cleaner.

                            The bottom Half of the "Spare" is a '63 6-130, or 6-132 which is a '64, WITH the PCV Fitting (Tube) in the Rear, it's Top would have a Stud fastener for the Air Cleaner, they are NOT compatible.

                            With the Carb. on the Truck, you might have one complete one!
                            I'll have to do more digging in the spare parts bins. I know we have older 2 barrel carbs and I have an AFB or WCFB available if I want to change intakes. Right now I just want to get it running and see what I've got.
                            "In the heart of Arkansas."
                            Searcy, Arkansas
                            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                            1952 2R pickup

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              To me, it looks like your truck is still sporting the original 6-volt battery box. When the V8's came along, they used a higher sitting battery box to give better clearance by the valve cover. I'm thinking you could probably make one using some angle iron and a little ingenuity. If you have access to a V8 C-cab truck, take a good look at the battery box, how it's built & located. I know it is nothing critical to your current concern (getting it running), but just a little suggestion to consider when you have time to tinker with such matters.
                              John Clary
                              Greer, SC

                              SDC member since 1975

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by jclary View Post
                                To me, it looks like your truck is still sporting the original 6-volt battery box. When the V8's came along, they used a higher sitting battery box to give better clearance by the valve cover. I'm thinking you could probably make one using some angle iron and a little ingenuity. If you have access to a V8 C-cab truck, take a good look at the battery box, how it's built & located. I know it is nothing critical to your current concern (getting it running), but just a little suggestion to consider when you have time to tinker with such matters.
                                I'll have to take a closer look at Joe's. I have plenty to keep me busy for a long time.
                                Attached Files
                                "In the heart of Arkansas."
                                Searcy, Arkansas
                                1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                                1952 2R pickup

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X