Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did they really make in the Hamilton Plant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What did they really make in the Hamilton Plant?

Picked this up at my local liquor store! Canadian product with real Canadian whiskey.

IMG_4651.jpg
    Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT
    58 C Cab
    57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Don't I wish. It would have softened the many blows we experienced.

From what I can determine, this product is widely available in the U.S. but not in Canada. Apparently WalMart, Sam's Club and Target carry it.

Stu Chapman

Comment

And FINALLY! We can now buy alcohol beverages on Sunday! it's been 202 years, but today I bought me a case of Yeungling Lager> <G>

Jim
      "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
      their Memorials!

Comment

Evidently, they're a 60-proof pre-mixed cocktail.

Studebaker is a new brand out of Norwalk, Connecticut, which is using Canadian whisky as the base for two “Prohibition inspired” bottled cocktails — both classics, the Old Fashioned and the Manhattan. Both are 60 proof. Let’s see how these manage to turn out, unadulterated and straight from the bottle.

Studebaker Old Fashioned – Made with bitters, lemon, cherry, orange, and simple syrup. There are lots of orange notes here, as there should be, and they work well with the gentle caramel and vanilla notes of the whisky proper. Relatively uncomplicated, it offers touches of milk chocolate on the finish, though very little in the way of bitterness. Pleasant enough for a Sunday afternoon, but owing to the lack of power in the underlying whisky, it’s nothing Don Draper would write home about.

Studebaker Manhattan – Made with sweet vermouth, bitters, and maraschino cherries. This one’s out of balance from the start, initially coming across as overloaded with vermouth notes — oddly dry, with heavily herbal overtones. Things get even less coherent from there, the concoction turning gummy and vaguely vegetal. There’s little semblance of whisky here — there’s a reason soft Canadian whisky is never used in a Manhattan
        From what I can determine, this product is widely available in the U.S. but not in Canada.
        Stu, I've been told real Canadians don't drink cocktails ;>)

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by Stu Chapman View Post
          Don't I wish. It would have softened the many blows we experienced.

From what I can determine, this product is widely available in the U.S. but not in Canada. Apparently WalMart, Sam's Club and Target carry it.

Stu Chapman
          Widely available is a bit of an overstatement by the sellers. Last year I contacted the company about availability in Michigan and Florida and they said nothing in Michigan. They suggested the ABC liquor stores in Central Florida. I went into 2 and the folks there said they had never heard of them.

They show up on the Walmart site but again nothing close to me.

The good news is I bought several 1.75L bottles of Evan Williams Black bourbon in Florida for under $18/ea. That's $13 less than in Michigan. We must have had one hell of a party in Florida as I would never transport any of them back to Michigan. Nope/never/couldn't/wouldn't/nope.

Bob
          , ,

Comment

Does it say who in Canada makes this?
            It may be some Canuck whiskey that wasn't very good, so they sent it south to be blended with some other left overs.

Comment

I am a bourbon snob, if it is not good enough to drink neat I don't want it. I do spend some time (and money) finding the unicorns.
              Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

Buy a pair for the bottle collection and then drink real booze... BTDT
                HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                  Buy a pair for the bottle collection and then drink real booze... BTDT
                  Sounds like a plan to me!
                  sigpic

Comment

Hey guys it was only $10 on the discount shelf. So it was an impulse Studebaker buy! Even my wife did not give me a hard time buying this Studebaker.
                    Dan White
                    64 R1 GT
                    64 R2 GT
                    58 C Cab
                    57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Buy it while you can guys. This was brought to market by Diageo in 2016, the world's largest alcohol producer. But being large does not translate into being good at what you do.
                      Just imagine what the introduction of these brands could have been had Diageo put forth just a little effort to investigate "Studebaker". No doubt they would have found The Studebaker Driver's Club, The Antique Studebaker Club,and The Avanti Owners. and they could have bought ads in Turning Wheels, The Avanti Magizine etc., ( very inexpensively I might ad ) announcing the introduction and creating "pull" for the brands when Studebaker guys went to their local package store and requested it. But because Diageo suffers from an acute case of rectal, cranial inversion, none of that happened and this brand will consequently have a very short life. The introduction was at the same time as the International Meet in St.Louis.The host Hotel should have had these brands all over the hotel bar, and every liquor store near by should have had inventory...........but the didn't.
                      Bob, the reason you could not obtain it in Michigan, is that Michigan, as I'm sure you are aware, is a Control State. The State decides what will be available for sale in Michigan, by brand and by size. So, either it was presented to the State and they rejected it, or it was never presented for possible inclusion in the stores.
                      As to the ABC store in Florida having never heard of it, I'm sure that was correct, but that manager would never be in the information loop on new products. I feel confident he could have gotten it, but ABC no doubt would insist that you purchase the entire 12 bottle case up front.
                      As to exactly what whisky is in this product..........you'll never know. Diageo is the producer of Crown Royal, but I assure you there is no Crown Royal in this product. Diageo either used a bulk Canadian whisky that they produce or they bought a bulk Canadian Whisky for this product. If it contained Crown Royal, they would tell you so, and charge accordingly.
                      I sent 43 years in the Beverage Alcohol business ( With Seagram and in the Wholesale side ) and dealt with Diageo in the last 15 years before retiring. Diageo has a lot of young marketing people with impressive educations and very little real world experience in the Beverage Alcohol business. Evidence of that is this Studebaker Cocktail introduction.
                      JB

Comment

ABC knows about it in Florida.
                        Some stores you just have to ask.
                        I bought some. It was 'OK'. Bottles in the display case..
                        Not going to bother to buy any more.

Originally posted by JLB View Post
                        Buy it while you can guys. This was brought to market by Diageo in 2016, the world's largest alcohol producer. But being large does not translate into being good at what you do.
                        Just imagine what the introduction of these brands could have been had Diageo put forth just a little effort to investigate "Studebaker". No doubt they would have found The Studebaker Driver's Club, The Antique Studebaker Club,and The Avanti Owners. and they could have bought ads in Turning Wheels, The Avanti Magizine etc., ( very inexpensively I might ad ) announcing the introduction and creating "pull" for the brands when Studebaker guys went to their local package store and requested it. But because Diageo suffers from an acute case of rectal, cranial inversion, none of that happened and this brand will consequently have a very short life. The introduction was at the same time as the International Meet in St.Louis.The host Hotel should have had these brands all over the hotel bar, and every liquor store near by should have had inventory...........but the didn't.
                        Bob, the reason you could not obtain it in Michigan, is that Michigan, as I'm sure you are aware, is a Control State. The State decides what will be available for sale in Michigan, by brand and by size. So, either it was presented to the State and they rejected it, or it was never presented for possible inclusion in the stores.
                        As to the ABC store in Florida having never heard of it, I'm sure that was correct, but that manager would never be in the information loop on new products. I feel confident he could have gotten it, but ABC no doubt would insist that you purchase the entire 12 bottle case up front.
                        As to exactly what whisky is in this product..........you'll never know. Diageo is the producer of Crown Royal, but I assure you there is no Crown Royal in this product. Diageo either used a bulk Canadian whisky that they produce or they bought a bulk Canadian Whisky for this product. If it contained Crown Royal, they would tell you so, and charge accordingly.
                        I sent 43 years in the Beverage Alcohol business ( With Seagram and in the Wholesale side ) and dealt with Diageo in the last 15 years before retiring. Diageo has a lot of young marketing people with impressive educations and very little real world experience in the Beverage Alcohol business. Evidence of that is this Studebaker Cocktail introduction.
                        JB
                        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by JLB View Post
                          JB
                          Thanks JB

I'm well aware that Michigan is a control state, even though they have relaxed some regulations. A while back I could have wine delivered from outstate but they put a major kibosh on that last year by only allowing distributors to ship directly to me. So prices still stay up and availability stays down.

I just thought it would be nice to have the bottles as I'm a craft beer, wine and Bourbon on ice drinker but they weren't available close to me so I went back to golf and the new neighbors Corvettes.

But as I said before, I drink everything I buy outstate, outstate. I would never think about bringing cheaper liquor into the state. Nope/Never/Couldn't/Wouldn't/Nope

Thanks for the thoughts, Bob
                          , ,

Comment

So sad. When they could have used the best and made it great instead of mediocre. Wonder if 'goosed' a bit by us SDC members they could give it another, better shot? I mean it ain't like we'd be requesting them to build new Studebaker's. I'm in the market. Who else?

Comment

As Jack stated
                              Stu, I've been told real Canadians don't drink cocktails ;>)
                              is correct BUT it is probably because anything mixed will freeze whereas straight still pours!PC012254.jpgCheck out my favorite Scotland Whiskey with icicles from our roof.
                              Bill

Comment

Working...
                              X