No announcement yet.

Trying to start the 53 Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess I need to find my compression tester. My projects are hampered by the fact that a lot of my tools and supplies are still packed in the boxes they were moved here in almost three years ago. I moved back into my parents old home and there was already lots of stuff here taking up space.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, 1947 M5. Searcy,Arkansas
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

I guess I need to find my compression tester. My projects are hampered by the fact that a lot of my tools and supplies are still packed in the boxes they were moved here in almost three years ago. I moved back into my parents old home and there was already lots of stuff here taking up space.

Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Thought I would post an update. The weather cooperated yesterday (upper 70s ) and mid afternoon I ran a compression test. The first three cylinders were at 110 lbs or so but #4 showed zero. I pulled the head and, sure enough, the exhaust valve was stuck open. After cranking the engine to where the intake was up, I tapped on the exhaust valve lightly and it popped back down. Next rotation it stayed up, but after tapping it down again everything worked as normal. By the time I got the engine back together it was so dark that I was using my pickups headlights to see what I was doing. I will have to try to start the engine when I can see better.
        BTW the cylinders showed no wear. The deeper I get the more it appears that this car may have really had 34,000 miles. Too bad the mice destroyed the interior. What is left of the upholstery looks like it was nice.[V]

Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

Thought I would post an update. The weather cooperated yesterday (upper 70s ) and mid afternoon I ran a compression test. The first three cylinders were at 110 lbs or so but #4 showed zero. I pulled the head and, sure enough, the exhaust valve was stuck open. After cranking the engine to where the intake was up, I tapped on the exhaust valve lightly and it popped back down. Next rotation it stayed up, but after tapping it down again everything worked as normal. By the time I got the engine back together it was so dark that I was using my pickups headlights to see what I was doing. I will have to try to start the engine when I can see better.
          BTW the cylinders showed no wear. The deeper I get the more it appears that this car may have really had 34,000 miles. Too bad the mice destroyed the interior. What is left of the upholstery looks like it was nice.[V]

Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Quick update. The weather cooperated today by not raining as forecast and I had a chance to try to start the engine again. This time I got it to run for a few moments on the gas I poured in. The carb does not seem to be feeding gas, but that's okay since I will most likely use the one Vegas Paul sent me after I change the manifold. The most important thing was no backfire and it had strong oil pressure. Next project will be pulling and cleaning the engine, changing the crank bolts, dialing in the bellhousing, painting everything and installing in my 52. I am tired just thinking about it, but excited too!

Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

Quick update. The weather cooperated today by not raining as forecast and I had a chance to try to start the engine again. This time I got it to run for a few moments on the gas I poured in. The carb does not seem to be feeding gas, but that's okay since I will most likely use the one Vegas Paul sent me after I change the manifold. The most important thing was no backfire and it had strong oil pressure. Next project will be pulling and cleaning the engine, changing the crank bolts, dialing in the bellhousing, painting everything and installing in my 52. I am tired just thinking about it, but excited too!

Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

Working...
              X