No announcement yet.

They're still out there!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As I've said before- there will ALWAYS be "barn finds" and long-forgotten gems discovered; reason being that they're constantly being created! Even today, the owner of a desirable collectible passed away, and his widow has no interest or concern for the car in the barn. It'll sit there accumulating boxes and hay bales for 20 or 30 years or more. Then she'll pass and the car will be found by relatives who don't care about it and will just want it outta there[]

I firmly believe my own r2 Super Lark is waiting to be united with me, and for a rational, if not cheap, price[^]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Johnjb

They are out there--just found this one out in Calif.

What is it[?][?][?]

John Clements
      Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
      Lockleys South Australia
      John Clements
      Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Johnjb

They are out there--just found this one out in Calif.

What is it[?][?][?]

John Clements
        Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
        Lockleys South Australia
        John Clements
        Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

When I lived briefly in Terre Haute, IN, in the mid-'90s, I worked for an older gentleman named John who owned a couple of small eateries. I got the job on the recommendation of my cousin, who had worked for John but had moved to Vincennes, IN to attend Vincennes University.

When I started out, I would fill in at the south side store near the mall a couple of nights a week and some weekends, as I was attending classes at ISU. Whenever I didn't have anything else better to do, he'd have me come over to the house and help him and his wife with the occasional chores, like raking leaves or whatever, as he'd suffered a stroke and couldn't do everything himself, and he always paid me well.

On occasion, he'd also have me drive him and his wife to Indy so they could fly to Florida -- he'd stay the weekend, she'd usually stay a week or two -- and as my grandparents live in Lebanon (not too far from Indy), I was permitted to use the car to go and visit them for the weekend. His daily driver was a British Sterling 825 (for those unfamiliar, think a Roverized Honda Accord) which actually wasn't a bad car once you accepted its ... ummm ... character.

Well, anyway, one night, as I was preparing to return to Terre Haute to attend a concert after dropping them off at Indianapolis International, John's parting words to me were, "Now, when you get back and put the car back in the garage, take a look on the other side of the boxes and you'll see that I've left you something to play with this week while we're gone."

I'd never actually been in the garage before. I always parked the Sterling next to the back door of the house so he wouldn't have to walk as far to get into it, so I was unsure what to make of what he'd said. But, given that he knew of and shared my interest in cars, I had a feeling it had to be car-related.

Well, as it turns out, the "something to play with" was a mint-condition, low-mileage and VERY red '68 Fiat 850 Spider! And, in the driver's seat, John had left a note telling me how to start it, how long it took to warm up properly, what to watch out for, and at the end, he had written the following: "BUT MOST OF ALL, HAVE FUN!"

Needless to say, I did as I was told! And to think he actually PAID me to have this kind of fun!!!

What a fun little car it was to toss around on the backroads of west-central Indiana! I only drove it a handful of times, and always VERY carefully -- I didn't want to risk messing it up or, at worst, wreck it -- but WOW, what a ride!

When they got back from Florida, I told John I had to know more about this car and why he hadn't told me about it before.

The story behind the Fiat was that they had purchased it shortly after they got married, and had owned it ever since. John and his wife were in their late 40s when they got married, but they adopted two kids later on, so the Fiat was parked most of the time after the kids entered the picture. So, when I first met the car, it had maybe 20,000 miles on it, if that. And, with him no longer able to drive it due to the stroke, I guess I was the first to drive it in quite some time. And, as I'd gained his trust, he felt that I deserved the honor. I've never forgotten it.

Sadly, the last I heard, John and his wife had both passed on, so I don't know what became of the car, but for a brief shining moment, well ... I just hope Heaven is full of Studebakers and Fiat Spiders, because I want another crack at one!

Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

Comment

When I lived briefly in Terre Haute, IN, in the mid-'90s, I worked for an older gentleman named John who owned a couple of small eateries. I got the job on the recommendation of my cousin, who had worked for John but had moved to Vincennes, IN to attend Vincennes University.

When I started out, I would fill in at the south side store near the mall a couple of nights a week and some weekends, as I was attending classes at ISU. Whenever I didn't have anything else better to do, he'd have me come over to the house and help him and his wife with the occasional chores, like raking leaves or whatever, as he'd suffered a stroke and couldn't do everything himself, and he always paid me well.

On occasion, he'd also have me drive him and his wife to Indy so they could fly to Florida -- he'd stay the weekend, she'd usually stay a week or two -- and as my grandparents live in Lebanon (not too far from Indy), I was permitted to use the car to go and visit them for the weekend. His daily driver was a British Sterling 825 (for those unfamiliar, think a Roverized Honda Accord) which actually wasn't a bad car once you accepted its ... ummm ... character.

Well, anyway, one night, as I was preparing to return to Terre Haute to attend a concert after dropping them off at Indianapolis International, John's parting words to me were, "Now, when you get back and put the car back in the garage, take a look on the other side of the boxes and you'll see that I've left you something to play with this week while we're gone."

I'd never actually been in the garage before. I always parked the Sterling next to the back door of the house so he wouldn't have to walk as far to get into it, so I was unsure what to make of what he'd said. But, given that he knew of and shared my interest in cars, I had a feeling it had to be car-related.

Well, as it turns out, the "something to play with" was a mint-condition, low-mileage and VERY red '68 Fiat 850 Spider! And, in the driver's seat, John had left a note telling me how to start it, how long it took to warm up properly, what to watch out for, and at the end, he had written the following: "BUT MOST OF ALL, HAVE FUN!"

Needless to say, I did as I was told! And to think he actually PAID me to have this kind of fun!!!

What a fun little car it was to toss around on the backroads of west-central Indiana! I only drove it a handful of times, and always VERY carefully -- I didn't want to risk messing it up or, at worst, wreck it -- but WOW, what a ride!

When they got back from Florida, I told John I had to know more about this car and why he hadn't told me about it before.

The story behind the Fiat was that they had purchased it shortly after they got married, and had owned it ever since. John and his wife were in their late 40s when they got married, but they adopted two kids later on, so the Fiat was parked most of the time after the kids entered the picture. So, when I first met the car, it had maybe 20,000 miles on it, if that. And, with him no longer able to drive it due to the stroke, I guess I was the first to drive it in quite some time. And, as I'd gained his trust, he felt that I deserved the honor. I've never forgotten it.

Sadly, the last I heard, John and his wife had both passed on, so I don't know what became of the car, but for a brief shining moment, well ... I just hope Heaven is full of Studebakers and Fiat Spiders, because I want another crack at one!

Comment

I found a '61 Lark 4dr,6 cyl.plainly visible from the street.Got the guys number,and called to ask if he might sell it.He was amazed that somone would call about an 'old Studebaker'[:0]
              He couldn't decide if it's for sale or not,I'll be calling him again soon.He did tell me that it runs,and it's a'straight six'with an aluminum block!

LaSalle,Il
              61Hawk
              Oglesby,Il.

Comment

I found a '61 Lark 4dr,6 cyl.plainly visible from the street.Got the guys number,and called to ask if he might sell it.He was amazed that somone would call about an 'old Studebaker'[:0]
                He couldn't decide if it's for sale or not,I'll be calling him again soon.He did tell me that it runs,and it's a'straight six'with an aluminum block!

LaSalle,Il
                61Hawk
                Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Yes, they are still out there. But when you find them, don't expect to get them for a song anymore. Those days are L O N G gone!

Dave Bonn
                  Valencia, PA
                  '54 Champion Starliner

Comment

Yes, they are still out there. But when you find them, don't expect to get them for a song anymore. Those days are L O N G gone!

Dave Bonn
                    Valencia, PA
                    '54 Champion Starliner

Comment

So no one accuses us of going off-topic: On Page 13 of this White Triangle News is a report of "Hudsons at Hershey." Three photos are included; one of a Hudson vendor space. The only car visible in that particular photo is a 1966 Studebaker! BP
                      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

So no one accuses us of going off-topic: On Page 13 of this White Triangle News is a report of "Hudsons at Hershey." Three photos are included; one of a Hudson vendor space. The only car visible in that particular photo is a 1966 Studebaker! BP
                        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Not exactly a barn find, but around 1975 after getting off from work in Somerville, NJ, I drove uptown a few blocks to one of the municipal parking lots to pick my wife up from work. In the lot was a 1964 Challenger 4-door with no plates on it. Figuring it was abandoned, I went over to the police station to let them know about the car and also to tell them that if they found the owner, they should have him call me as I'd buy it. I bought it for $75, and my wife was a bit perturbed with me saying, "You should have only offered him $50 for it; it was abandoned." The kicker was that there really wasn't anything wrong with it. Some time later, I sold it to a friend who needed a car while she was student teaching.

Alan Mende
                          Hummelstown, PA
                          Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
                          Grantville, PA

I'm not a mechanic; I don't even play one on TV.

Comment

Not exactly a barn find, but around 1975 after getting off from work in Somerville, NJ, I drove uptown a few blocks to one of the municipal parking lots to pick my wife up from work. In the lot was a 1964 Challenger 4-door with no plates on it. Figuring it was abandoned, I went over to the police station to let them know about the car and also to tell them that if they found the owner, they should have him call me as I'd buy it. I bought it for $75, and my wife was a bit perturbed with me saying, "You should have only offered him $50 for it; it was abandoned." The kicker was that there really wasn't anything wrong with it. Some time later, I sold it to a friend who needed a car while she was student teaching.

Alan Mende
                            Hummelstown, PA
                            Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
                            Grantville, PA

I'm not a mechanic; I don't even play one on TV.

Comment

For those who are wondering what the BIG picture of the old stude is???

A 1934 Studebaker Dictator 3 window coupe. This is a "Look Ahead" model made in the later half of 1934. Really rare--I looked for years to find this one. Just bought from 2nd owner, but car was left outside for over 30 year and needs total restore--but limited rust since it was in Calif. Not sure how many coupes were made, but this is the first 34 Dictator I found in searching for years.

Comment

For those who are wondering what the BIG picture of the old stude is???

A 1934 Studebaker Dictator 3 window coupe. This is a "Look Ahead" model made in the later half of 1934. Really rare--I looked for years to find this one. Just bought from 2nd owner, but car was left outside for over 30 year and needs total restore--but limited rust since it was in Calif. Not sure how many coupes were made, but this is the first 34 Dictator I found in searching for years.

Comment

Working...
                                X