1962 Hawk Window Alignment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1962 Hawk Window Alignment

I'm having difficulty getting the back window to align with the door window when both are rolled up. The door window matches perfectly with the door rubber at top. The back window appears to need to roll forward a little more to close the gap at the top so as to mesh with the door window. I have looked at other Hawks and it is obvious the window needs to roll up more. However it hits a stop and lacks a little in finishing the complete roll up. I have tried the adjustment screws on the regulator to no avail. Is there something internally that I have missed in properly installing the window? All thoughts appreciated. Thanks, Chet445

The spring at that corner is rather weak and not strong enough to pull the window all the way up.
    Bill Fennessy had stronger spring made that are sold by his daughter Valery Hanson. Part number 303662 http://www.studebakervendors.com/han...R%20RUBBER.pdf.
    Look over this long list of items she sells and you will be very satisfied with her customer service.

Robert Kapteyn

Comment

Thank you; I will follow the lead. Chet445

Comment

64bodmp187.jpgGT Hawks have a fore and aft adjustment of the 1/4 window. You have to remove the interior panel to gain access. It's just behind the door opening at the top. It's the slot in image part 2124-6
        Last edited by bezhawk; 02-21-2018, 09:01 PM.
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Others in the past have mentioned having to elongate the holes in the upper stop arm shown in the shop manual, body section, K models, page51, figure 92, item 4.

Comment

I see the slot in 2124-6 just behind the door but I'm not understanding how elongating that slot will allow the window to roll up more. Please explain. Thanks, Chet445

Comment

I have a picture from Bez Auto Alchemy shown above but don't recognize what part is the upper stop arm. Please give me a part number and picture from page 51 figure 92, item 4. Thanks, Chet445

Comment

Originally posted by chet445 View Post
                I see the slot in 2124-6 just behind the door but I'm not understanding how elongating that slot will allow the window to roll up more. Please explain. Thanks, Chet445
                I believe other responses are confusing earlier Hawk hardtops with the GT 1/4 window. The mechanism is totally different. You don't elongate the slot in the piece mentioned. If you look at the actual window frame, right above it, there is a tab hanging down with a hole in it. That is the window pivot point. When you crank the regulator, it pivots from this point, and tilts backwards into the 1/4. It doesn't slid backwards, and down, only tilts around this pivot. A pivot bolt goes through this hole into that slot of the bracket I showed you. You loosen that bolt, and pull forward on the window when it is rolled all the way up, and it should close up the gap.(don't forget to re-tighten it when satisfied with the gap) Also if you look at that bracket the front side has two holes also. Those go to to bolts that are located in the door jamb, just above the striker latch. They have large hexagonal washers under their heads. Loosen those (don't remove) and then you can grab the window and move it side to side and up and down somewhat to align with the door window frame and seal properly when the door is closed. If the window does not have parallel gaps when it is rolled all the way up, then move to the back of the window inside the 1/4 is the window stop figure #2124-36. Loosen that stop, and slide it up or down so the tang at the rear of the window hits it when the gap is parallel with the door window frame.
                Last edited by bezhawk; 02-22-2018, 09:31 PM.
                Bez Auto Alchemy
                573-318-8948
                http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

The windows align real good now; thank you for the excellent advice. Chet 445

Comment

Working...
                  X