X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Day In Stude History - Jan 30th

(Truth, or NASCAR legend?)

January 30

1918: Ralph Zrimsek is born on this day.
    Records from NASCAR's early days are sketchy, but it appears Zrimsek is the first to drive a Studebaker in a NASCAR race.
    Zrimsek's NASCAR career comprises one race, the seventh race of the inaugural Strictly Stock season in 1949.
    In a 200-lap event on the half-mile dirt track of Heidelberg Raceway in Pittsburgh, Zrimsek brings home his '49 Studebaker 21st in the 23-car field, completing 59 laps.
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

I think you are correct. Here are some links I found:

There is a picture of the Heidleburg Speedway, Carnegie, PA: (This is a book go to the Leisure chapter:
    In the late 19th century, the boroughs of Mansfield and Chartiers were situated south and west of Pittsburgh and divided by a creek. They merged to become one unified city, and a new name was sought. The community petitioned philanthropist Andrew Carnegie for financial assistance, and he responded generously. Thus, the town of Carnegie was founded on March 1, 1894. Throughout the decades that followed, Carnegie experienced rapid growth of industry, commerce, and population. Yet anyone who has ever resided there will boast of its small-town charm. The steel mills supported generations of families, who then struggled to adapt to a changing world when the plants closed down. Carnegie's hometown heroes include Pirates shortstop Honus Wagner and NFL coach Mike Ditka. Carnegie is a photographic essay that chronicles the town's history and abundant contributions to industry and transportation.

Here are the entrants in that race:

Looks like that is the only track we have knowledge of him competing on. Notice he ran in the Strictly Stock class. This early this class, as were most others, were still dominated by Ford V-8's, but that was just then beginning to change. I sure would like to know if he competed in other races in that Studebaker. That was the beginning of NASCAR and its domination of Stock Car racing was just beginning. There were other Stock Car organizations, but they were fading fast.

Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Editor of "The Down Easterner"
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser

Comment

I think you are correct. Here are some links I found:

There is a picture of the Heidleburg Speedway, Carnegie, PA: (This is a book go to the Leisure chapter:
      In the late 19th century, the boroughs of Mansfield and Chartiers were situated south and west of Pittsburgh and divided by a creek. They merged to become one unified city, and a new name was sought. The community petitioned philanthropist Andrew Carnegie for financial assistance, and he responded generously. Thus, the town of Carnegie was founded on March 1, 1894. Throughout the decades that followed, Carnegie experienced rapid growth of industry, commerce, and population. Yet anyone who has ever resided there will boast of its small-town charm. The steel mills supported generations of families, who then struggled to adapt to a changing world when the plants closed down. Carnegie's hometown heroes include Pirates shortstop Honus Wagner and NFL coach Mike Ditka. Carnegie is a photographic essay that chronicles the town's history and abundant contributions to industry and transportation.

Here are the entrants in that race:

Looks like that is the only track we have knowledge of him competing on. Notice he ran in the Strictly Stock class. This early this class, as were most others, were still dominated by Ford V-8's, but that was just then beginning to change. I sure would like to know if he competed in other races in that Studebaker. That was the beginning of NASCAR and its domination of Stock Car racing was just beginning. There were other Stock Car organizations, but they were fading fast.

Joe Roberts
      '61 R1 Champ
      '65 Cruiser
      Editor of "The Down Easterner"
      Joe Roberts
      '61 R1 Champ
      '65 Cruiser

Comment

Working...
      X