Exhaust Headers R-3 Style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust Headers R-3 Style

In the 2017 Christmas catalogue that Studebaker International sent out on page 33 they were advertising Exhaust Headers. Part# 801092 and the caption read: R-3 style cast-iron exhaust headers. We're having them made and they'll be available soon. Call for availability and price.
    I believe the header pictured is for the left side ????

My question is has anyone here ordered a set and does the right side come with the mounting tabs for the generator/alternator or is this unit for just the later model Studebaker/Avanti's/Avanti IIs , etc. that doesn't attach the alternator to the exhaust manifold. ?

Also what is the quality like and the price.

What do you guys think ?

Years ago I bought a set , They did not come with mounting for the alternator , I bought a bracket from Jet city Studebaker, Who is no longer business , Ed

Comment

Originally posted by jts359 View Post
      Years ago I bought a set , They did not come with mounting for the alternator , I bought a bracket from Jet city Studebaker, Who is no longer business , Ed
      ED,
      the SI advertisement made it sound like they were something new in the R-3 Style. Do you think the ones that you bought years ago were the Studebaker originals and if so are they made the same as these repos ???

Comment

Someone a lot smarter than me can chime in but from what I have understood the headers (I think they were originally for the R3?) are only window dressing unless you are running a performance enhanced engine. I considered buying a set some time ago for an old black hawk I use to own but passed for that reason.

Lets hear from some of the performance folks on their opinion on the headers.

Comment

I have a set of repros on my R1 Hawk and they did not have an alternator mount. I used a GM one that is pretty common.
          Dan White
          64 R1 GT
          64 R2 GT
          58 C Cab
          57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

You should note that Studebaker International offers a 801209 Alternator/generator mounting kit for Lark and Hawk use with the R-3 type headers.

Comment

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
              You should note that Studebaker International offers a 801209 Alternator/generator mounting kit for Lark and Hawk use with the R-3 type headers.
              Thanks for that info. I didn't know that.

Comment

Stude never sold them all together, so nobody else tends to. Also, the head pipe is also needed for R3......

The originals did do better or they would have never made them. Some repros were not as good unless they were 'finished'. If you had the time you could dyno them or flow bench test them......

Remember with the Stude V8 they were squeezing every drop of HP they could get. If the original header was only 5 HP , it was worth the price at that time!

Comment

Does anyone build High Performance Studebaker turn key motors . If not, why ????

Comment

The ones I bought were repops , Ed

Comment

Originally posted by Stuhawk View Post
                      Does anyone build High Performance Studebaker turn key motors . If not, why ????
                      Get in contact with Jack Vines ( PackardV8 on this forum ), he can build you just about anything you want in a Stude V8, mild to pretty wild.
                      Paul
                      Winston-Salem, NC
                      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

As Mike pointed out, unless you do some dyno or flow testing to compare the two, it is only bench racing to speculate. I have an R2 that is .030 over, b&b with Erb pistons, R2+ cam, Erb blower, LS intake manifold, MSD 6AL, MSD 8981 timing computer and coil and R3 repro headers that have been "cleaned up". I'd like to think the headers help performance but I will probably never really know for sure. They are great for conversation though.....

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
                          Get in contact with Jack Vines ( PackardV8 on this forum ), he can build you just about anything you want in a Stude V8, mild to pretty wild.
                          Thanks for that info. I watched several clips recently on U tube about Pete's Garage and I was very impressed with his knowledge of Studebaker and his complete tear down and re-build of the 289. He seemed to be very particular and exact in the whole process. I was surprised when they put it on a dino and the best it would do was 175hp @ 3000 rpm I believe. It was very interesting to say the least.

Comment

The R3 headers (original or repo) never had an boss for the alternator bracket. You need to make one for use off of the two front head bolts. They improve exhaust flow a little. Their drawback is the small 2" collector area.
                            james r pepper

Comment

Originally posted by jpepper View Post
                              The R3 headers (original or repo) never had an boss for the alternator bracket. You need to make one for use off of the two front head bolts. They improve exhaust flow a little. Their drawback is the small 2" collector area.
                              Anyone willing to make a bet on Original R3 headers with alt mounting provisions casted on them, ie. right side?

Comment

Working...
                              X