studebaker 5 speed truck trans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• studebaker 5 speed truck trans

how could i tell by the numbers if im looking at a 5 speed truck trans, such as in a 57 or so transtar. looking at pile of trannies, not whole truck. where are the numbers located ?. my parts manual shows trans, but does not give it a number such as T89, T86, and so on. thanks for any help.

The New Process 5 speed Direct is a SD11 or SD12 stamped on lower rear corner of the back face of Trans. case or on a metal tag attached to a PTO cover bolt.

The Overdrive 5 speed is a New Process 5 speed model SO11 or SO12 marked in same location.

Look for the New Process gear symbol on the right side of the case. It will resemble a HD T-98 Borg Warner 4 speed, only in that it will be a very deep case like all heavy truck trannies. It does have the same mounting bolt pattern as the T-98, two right hand bolts very close together.

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

The New Process 5 speed Direct is a SD11 or SD12 stamped on lower rear corner of the back face of Trans. case or on a metal tag attached to a PTO cover bolt.

The Overdrive 5 speed is a New Process 5 speed model SO11 or SO12 marked in same location.

Look for the New Process gear symbol on the right side of the case. It will resemble a HD T-98 Borg Warner 4 speed, only in that it will be a very deep case like all heavy truck trannies. It does have the same mounting bolt pattern as the T-98, two right hand bolts very close together.

StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Hey Skip,
        Everything that StudeRich said. And just look at it. If you look at the shift tower there is an extra shift rail. And the overall size. I have a 5sp OD in my 59 4E13 one ton. Its huge, Looks like a 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 ton truck. [:0]

Gordon

Comment

Hey Skip,
          Everything that StudeRich said. And just look at it. If you look at the shift tower there is an extra shift rail. And the overall size. I have a 5sp OD in my 59 4E13 one ton. Its huge, Looks like a 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 ton truck. [:0]

Gordon

Comment

hi thanks for info. what is the value of this transmission in good condition ?. thanks again skip.

Comment

hi thanks for info. what is the value of this transmission in good condition ?. thanks again skip.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by skip

I'd say $500-$1000 IF you have the unique bellhousing also. Without the bellhousing, substantially less.

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by skip

I'd say $500-$1000 IF you have the unique bellhousing also. Without the bellhousing, substantially less.

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                  X