Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tsenecal
    replied
    It's still on my bucket list. It seems like a great way to see some new country, and hang out with car guys. My 60 Hawk would fit in nicely. Thanks for posting.

Leave a comment:

• Mohr HP
    replied
    I like the Power Tours. Been on 3 in 2 different old cars. If you like to look at a huge variety of cars from all over the U.S., actually performing on the road, it's hard to beat the Power Tour. But the proliferation of basically stock late models is a drag to me. I know it's not limited to just old iron, but to me, if you bring a modern car, it ought to actually be a "Hot Rod", not a stocker like we all see daily. To be sure, there are modern car guys working with newer cars. That to me is a good thing.

Leave a comment:

• JRoberts
    replied
    Here is a link to pictures that include two of the other Studebakers at Power Tour.

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/photog...2/PH/1?start=3

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    Thanks for the interesting reports, guys; much appreciated. BP

Leave a comment:

• starliner62
    replied
    There were a large number of newer cars on the tour. If I were to complain about anything, that would be it. That being said, we should be thankful that the younger crowd with their late model hot rods are at least showing interest in our hobby. Their newer Camaro was our 69 Mustang when we started out.
    The thing that stood out the most for me was the number of younger folks with their families, participating on the tour with an old car. There was a 58 Chevy airport limo on the tour that that included young children all the way up to a grandmother. Pretty awesome.
    I will definitely do it again. We went in this not knowing what to expect and came out with quite an education. Expect lots of traffic, which was bad on the first day, but I think that is to be expected. A good cooling system is mandatory. I never saw our temperature gauge go much past halfway and it was hot outside!
    I saw a total of seven Studebakers on the tour. I think only two or three made the long haul. I would love to see that number increase.

Leave a comment:

• 52-fan
    replied
    Our member and his son have been on several. There is something about the Power Tour he likes. The only time I went to one of their planned stops in Little Rock it was interesting.
    The thing I notice most in the photos on-line is the large amount of late model cars like you could see at home. I don't think in the late 60s and early 70s the guys driving current muscle cars would have been cruising anything, but the main drag near home.

Leave a comment:

• JRoberts
    replied
    Well, as you can see I would disagree. Am planning at some point to do it again. I would not say that the venues were all ill equipped to deal with the crowd. I would say maybe one was.

Leave a comment:

• Xcalibur
    replied
    How interesting. I just came from another forum where the bulk of those who have been on PTs say they'll never do another. It was repeatedly stated that there are far too many participants/vehicles with a lot of the venues unequipped to deal the the number of participants. Just sayin'... it sounded to me like one of those things to do once and say ya did later.

Leave a comment:

• BILT4ME
    replied
    Well said!

I have been looking through the pics of the HRPT and I see at least (4) different Studes, plus yours.

We enjoyed the trips we went on and it was a memorable experience!

As a family and some local friends, we are starting to plan a Route 66 trip some time in June 2020. Our 59 Stude Lark, a friend's 70 Torino, my brother's 58 Fairlane Sunliner ragtop, and my Dad's 55 Ford Customline. All need a little work before we get to the trip, but we need to plan the trip itself as well.

Congrats for a successful trip!

Leave a comment:

• JRoberts
    replied
    Jeff, thanks for posting those pictures. I believe that was the only time we encountered significant rain and it didn't last too long. We got home Friday night around 10:30. According to my GPS we traveled 2156.5 miles including the drive to Bowling Green and home from Concord. This is one the greatest automotive events I have ever participated in and hope to be able to do it again. The Cruiser ran well with no problems except for a brake light switch which was replaced in the parking lot of our hotel in Knoxville on our way to Bowling Green. The enormity of this event cannot truly be described. You have got to see it.
    I only saw a handful of Studebakers. A '55 pickup, a '64 Wagonaire , a GT Hawk and a '51 convertible that was pulling a tear drop trailer. With thousands of participants, it was rare to see too many vehicles more than once. This was the first year that most of the route was on secondary (non-interstate) roads. Naturally we had to get on interstates now and then, but for the most part it was two lane secondary roads. This worked great. Even with the incredibly large number of vehicles once things got started cars spread out and it was only rarely that you had a large number in any one place on the highway. The exception was at road construction sites, stop signs/lights, etc.
    Again it was a great time. I wish more Studebaker folks would give this a try.

Leave a comment:

• 52-fan
    replied
    Somewhere out there are one of our chapter members and his son. Unfortunately, neither chose to drive a Studebaker.

Leave a comment:

• DEEPNHOCK
    replied
    Well.....
    You made the Hot Rod Magazine photo album gallery! Congrats!

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/hot-rod-power-tour-road-massive-gallery-day-2/?wc_mid=4035:12333&wc_rid=4035:1811414&_wcsid=24ED6FA3EB31D9C3ABA32727DA6C69B954 C659A83EA8FA83#

Leave a comment:

• JRoberts
    replied
    For those who are interested as i tracked the route from Darlington to Raleigh I found that the route runs through some areas that I am familiar with. If you are interested there is a building still standing in Pinebluff, NC that was a Studebaker dealer in the teens. It is actually only a block or two off of the route. I plan to go over there some time soon and ask if the owners mind of I take some pictures in front of the building when we go through town.

The dealership was officially known as Guy E. Wells Studebaker Garage.
    Last edited by JRoberts; 05-16-2018, 08:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JRoberts
    replied
    The comment about your green Lark standing out is interesting since my '65 Cruiser is a bright medal flake green. Thanks to everyone for you comments and advise for our first Power Tour attempt.

Leave a comment:

• BILT4ME
    replied
    We took our 59 Lark on the HRPT in 2016 and 2017. It was just our oldest son and I.

The first year we used the HRPT lodging sites and got logged in early enough to get great locations. It was kind of expensive, but well worth it. We did NOT go with the high-end lodging and meal plan.

We met LOTS of people that had no idea what our car was and a few that thought it was the greatest. We stood out a LOT because it is NOT Chevy powered or Ford powered.

We had to carry our own spare parts (water pump, points, coil, condenser, cap and a few others).

We lost a wheel bearing the first year and were able to patch it back together until we found someone with a replacement hub along the route.

In 2017, we had an uneventful trip (that's a good thing!) but we only encountered 4-6 other Studes during the tour. With as many cars, routes, and personal schedules, we rarely saw the same cars the entire trip. We had helped out a Camaro on day two, and didn't see him again until they were driving out of the final location at the last minute on the last day.

This is a huge Chevy-fest, so be prepared that EVERYONE has front disc brakes, a 700R4, an LS-something, fuel injection, AC and every other modern thing on their "old" car that someone else built for them. Very FEW people had any idea how to actually WORK on their car.

Make sure you get a CD of the SDC Membership before you go and a few phone numbers of members on or near the route. I had placed a shout out here on the forum and someone who knew someone passed along a number of someone else that had the parts I needed. This is a great group of folks that will help out if they can, but we are "technologically handicapped" as a group so response time is slow. I do not mean that disrespectfully. It is who we are. Not everyone has the internet, a smart phone, and a computer with access everywhere they go.

Make sure you are prepared for the worst, but hope for the best.

Make sure your cooling system is up to snuff, as there are LONG lines of idling getting in and out of venues. LOTS of idling.

People recognized us because we were in a bright Seafoam Green (or Hawaiian Green) Lark and everyone else is either red, black, yellow or blue GM or Ford product. So you tend to stand out, yet all the rest blend in.

The first year from KC to Gonzales, LA back to KC was about 2600 miles for the round trip. The second year from KC to Bowling Green, KY back to KC was 2222 miles. Definitely do your research for NON-ETHANOL gasoline because many states ONLY have E10. We even bought 103 octane racing fuel one day ($7.00/gal) because we couldn't find regular gas and our car runs HORRIBLE on E10 (it vapor-locks something terrible)

(www.pure-gas.com)

I would do it again, but that's too far away and the wife insists that this year the WHOLE family is going on vacation and NOT in a rolling car show........

Leave a comment:

Working...
X