Hot Rod Power Tour 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Rod Power Tour 2018

I'm all signed up for this year's Hot Rod Power Tour. This has been on my bucket list for quite some time, so I decided I would do it before it was too late when I found the route ends in North Carolina. There will be three cars and six people from our chapter signed up for the Long Haul. Anybody else from the Studebaker world going?
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

What are the dates?
    Sounds like a nice area to tour.

Comment

Sounds like it will be a great time. I think that I will add it to my bucket list as well. I have read about a few of the past tours. Have a good time along the way.

Comment

I've considered it and am ambivalent; lots of great cars to see, but in a week-long traffic jam and lunch line.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

One of our chapter members has been on several Power Tours. He loves it.
          sigpic

"In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

This year's Power Tour begins in Bowling Green, Kentucky on June 9th and ends in Concord, North Carolina on June 15th. They claim to expect 6000 cars this year. As I understand it most do not do all 7 days. About 2500 will do the Long Haul (all 7 days).
            If you are going you need to start making lodging reservations right away . Many of the ones closest to each day's venue are already full. Here is the link with more information: http://www.hotrod.com/events/power-tour/
            Joe Roberts
            '61 R1 Champ
            '65 Cruiser

Comment

Sonja & I took our 66 Commander on the Power Tour in 2014, when it started at Z-Max, we had an awsome time,. We are going again this year with several people from our area, planning on doing the “longhaul” again. What we learned from the 1st time is to make the most of the adventure, try to stop & visit sites along the way ( there is a thread on bangshift on this topic) and you can always pick a place to stay several hours closer to the next venue on a couple of the stops...allows for a later start the next day.

Comment

Originally posted by MARCHOBBS View Post
                Sonja & I took our 66 Commander on the Power Tour in 2014, when it started at Z-Max, we had an awsome time,. We are going again this year with several people from our area, planning on doing the “longhaul” again. What we learned from the 1st time is to make the most of the adventure, try to stop & visit sites along the way ( there is a thread on bangshift on this topic) and you can always pick a place to stay several hours closer to the next venue on a couple of the stops...allows for a later start the next day.
                I saw the advice about staying a while past each day's stop on the BangShift forum, but I had already made reservations nearer to each day's venue (all but two nights at lodging set up by the group that is sponsored by Hot Rod.) I figure the first time is a learning session so I am just going to keep the reservations I have already got. Maybe Studebakers will attract each other and we will get to see you folks somewhere during the 7 days.
                Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser

Comment

We took our 59 Lark on the HRPT in 2016 and 2017. It was just our oldest son and I.

The first year we used the HRPT lodging sites and got logged in early enough to get great locations. It was kind of expensive, but well worth it. We did NOT go with the high-end lodging and meal plan.

We met LOTS of people that had no idea what our car was and a few that thought it was the greatest. We stood out a LOT because it is NOT Chevy powered or Ford powered.

We had to carry our own spare parts (water pump, points, coil, condenser, cap and a few others).

We lost a wheel bearing the first year and were able to patch it back together until we found someone with a replacement hub along the route.

In 2017, we had an uneventful trip (that's a good thing!) but we only encountered 4-6 other Studes during the tour. With as many cars, routes, and personal schedules, we rarely saw the same cars the entire trip. We had helped out a Camaro on day two, and didn't see him again until they were driving out of the final location at the last minute on the last day.

This is a huge Chevy-fest, so be prepared that EVERYONE has front disc brakes, a 700R4, an LS-something, fuel injection, AC and every other modern thing on their "old" car that someone else built for them. Very FEW people had any idea how to actually WORK on their car.

Make sure you get a CD of the SDC Membership before you go and a few phone numbers of members on or near the route. I had placed a shout out here on the forum and someone who knew someone passed along a number of someone else that had the parts I needed. This is a great group of folks that will help out if they can, but we are "technologically handicapped" as a group so response time is slow. I do not mean that disrespectfully. It is who we are. Not everyone has the internet, a smart phone, and a computer with access everywhere they go.

Make sure you are prepared for the worst, but hope for the best.

Make sure your cooling system is up to snuff, as there are LONG lines of idling getting in and out of venues. LOTS of idling.

People recognized us because we were in a bright Seafoam Green (or Hawaiian Green) Lark and everyone else is either red, black, yellow or blue GM or Ford product. So you tend to stand out, yet all the rest blend in.

The first year from KC to Gonzales, LA back to KC was about 2600 miles for the round trip. The second year from KC to Bowling Green, KY back to KC was 2222 miles. Definitely do your research for NON-ETHANOL gasoline because many states ONLY have E10. We even bought 103 octane racing fuel one day ($7.00/gal) because we couldn't find regular gas and our car runs HORRIBLE on E10 (it vapor-locks something terrible)

(www.pure-gas.com)

I would do it again, but that's too far away and the wife insists that this year the WHOLE family is going on vacation and NOT in a rolling car show........
                  Dis-Use on a Car is Worse Than Mis-Use...
                  1959 Studebaker Lark VIII 2DHTP

Comment

The comment about your green Lark standing out is interesting since my '65 Cruiser is a bright medal flake green. Thanks to everyone for you comments and advise for our first Power Tour attempt.
                    Joe Roberts
                    '61 R1 Champ
                    '65 Cruiser

Comment

For those who are interested as i tracked the route from Darlington to Raleigh I found that the route runs through some areas that I am familiar with. If you are interested there is a building still standing in Pinebluff, NC that was a Studebaker dealer in the teens. It is actually only a block or two off of the route. I plan to go over there some time soon and ask if the owners mind of I take some pictures in front of the building when we go through town.

The dealership was officially known as Guy E. Wells Studebaker Garage.
                      Last edited by JRoberts; 05-16-2018, 10:52 PM.
                      Joe Roberts
                      '61 R1 Champ
                      '65 Cruiser

Comment

Well.....
                        You made the Hot Rod Magazine photo album gallery! Congrats!

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/hot-rod-power-tour-road-massive-gallery-day-2/?wc_mid=4035:12333&wc_rid=4035:1811414&_wcsid=24ED6FA3EB31D9C3ABA32727DA6C69B954 C659A83EA8FA83#

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Somewhere out there are one of our chapter members and his son. Unfortunately, neither chose to drive a Studebaker.
                          sigpic

"In the heart of Arkansas."
                          Searcy, Arkansas
                          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Jeff, thanks for posting those pictures. I believe that was the only time we encountered significant rain and it didn't last too long. We got home Friday night around 10:30. According to my GPS we traveled 2156.5 miles including the drive to Bowling Green and home from Concord. This is one the greatest automotive events I have ever participated in and hope to be able to do it again. The Cruiser ran well with no problems except for a brake light switch which was replaced in the parking lot of our hotel in Knoxville on our way to Bowling Green. The enormity of this event cannot truly be described. You have got to see it.
                            I only saw a handful of Studebakers. A '55 pickup, a '64 Wagonaire , a GT Hawk and a '51 convertible that was pulling a tear drop trailer. With thousands of participants, it was rare to see too many vehicles more than once. This was the first year that most of the route was on secondary (non-interstate) roads. Naturally we had to get on interstates now and then, but for the most part it was two lane secondary roads. This worked great. Even with the incredibly large number of vehicles once things got started cars spread out and it was only rarely that you had a large number in any one place on the highway. The exception was at road construction sites, stop signs/lights, etc.
                            Again it was a great time. I wish more Studebaker folks would give this a try.
                            Joe Roberts
                            '61 R1 Champ
                            '65 Cruiser

Comment

Well said!

I have been looking through the pics of the HRPT and I see at least (4) different Studes, plus yours.

We enjoyed the trips we went on and it was a memorable experience!

As a family and some local friends, we are starting to plan a Route 66 trip some time in June 2020. Our 59 Stude Lark, a friend's 70 Torino, my brother's 58 Fairlane Sunliner ragtop, and my Dad's 55 Ford Customline. All need a little work before we get to the trip, but we need to plan the trip itself as well.

Congrats for a successful trip!
                              Dis-Use on a Car is Worse Than Mis-Use...
                              1959 Studebaker Lark VIII 2DHTP

Comment

Working...
                              X