Studebaker on Rachel Maddow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker on Rachel Maddow

Last night my wife and I were watching Rachel Madow when suddenly we see an old TV commercial from 1961 for the Studebaker Lark. Rachel was using it as a segeway into her next story. The visual was a car full of clowns touting how roomy the interior of the car was. We got some great air time out of it.
    Last edited by Commander Eddie; 01-25-2018, 06:44 AM.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

I don't know who Rachel Madow is, but if she loves Studebakers she must be OK.

Comment

Maybe she just loves clowns

Comment

I wonder if that campaign hurt Lark sales more than helped them. I think including those clowns in there insinuated to some consumers that the Lark was a clown car. What conformist businessman (for the early 60’s Joe Average) would want to be seen in a clown car? This is a pity because the Lark was a perfectly good car for the period.
        Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

Originally posted by 63 R2 Hawk View Post
          I don't know who Rachel Madow is, but if she loves Studebakers she must be OK.
          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rachel_Maddow Liberal. I'm assuming not the type to support cars in general much less old emissions belching Studebakers.

Addendum added 1-26-18:
          Some people have taken objection (posts below) to my post. The quoted party stated "I don't know who Rachel Madow is..."

First I simply posted a Wiki link regarding Rachel Maddow for the purpose of letting the quoted party know who she was. The very first sentence and the six word in is "liberal" that describes her (see below). Apparently to the writers of the Wiki that is an important aspect of who she is. I stated my comment because it has been my life's experience that a larger than lesser number of people from a liberal perspective are inclined towards public transportation, electric vehicles etc. over older hydrocarbon, NOX etc. emitting means of getting around. Based on that I was speculative that Maddow was actually a supporter of Studebaker's such as the quoted party seemed to think. Thus my intention was only to point the quoted party to look deeper before forming a conclusion. If some thought I was painting every person of a liberal perspective the same, my apology. That was not my intent.

Lastly I have been involved in TV Production for over 35 years. I did not see the mentioned show but it was described as a "segue." So, I do not know if there is a tie in between the car specifically being a Studebaker, clowns in general - or not. There is typically a greater chance that the story editor, or the video editor selected the Studebaker commercial footage at random and that Maddow had little to nothing to do with the use of it. I would be curious to know how the Studebaker specifically was relevant to the segment that followed it - if at all.

Rachel Anne Maddow (/ˈmædoʊ/ ( listen), MAD-oh;[1][2] born April 1, 1973) is an American television host, liberal political commentator,[3] and author.[4][5]

Last edited by wittsend; 01-26-2018, 10:59 AM.
          '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Studebaker did the ad... no blame elsewhere. I am liberal, but love cars, coal fired locomotives, and much else that may not fit the stereotype of 'liberal'. be careful with your terms!
            Ron Dame
            '63 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post
              Studebaker did the ad... no blame elsewhere. I am liberal, but love cars, coal fired locomotives, and much else that may not fit the stereotype of 'liberal'. be careful with your terms!
              "Like.......!"

Comment

I watched the show, but missed the ad. Is there any way to see it now, or do we just have to wait for it to be rerun?

Comment

One thing that i've learned is that the Carbon Footprint of the Electric cars is definately not neutral. The battery technology is just not there, and as long as we use coal-fired plants to charge the batteries AND replace the batteries at 5-7 year intervals, Plus the MFG Carbon of the car. Might as well drive my Studebaker and keep the $30+k in my pocket.

Comment

Just put the commercial on here... That's all that is needed.

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post
                      Me too. My politics have nothing to do with my love of old cars, planes, trains, bicycles, and many other things from my youth.
                      Ed Sallia
                      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Thanks for posting the commercial Jeff.

Comment

Known by many as the anti-Christ:-(
                          Originally posted by 70Avanti2 View Post
                          Maybe she just loves clowns

Comment

Take it easy folks. Rachel is well educated, smart as a whip and does her homework. And I now like to think she has a soft spot for Studebakers.
                            Ed Sallia
                            Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

I noticed that they smartly used a Cruiser when they talked about rear leg room and wide (rear) doors. They are both four inches larger with the 1961 Cruiser (over the other 1961 Lark sedan models).
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X