Over a Million Cars a year ship from South Bend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over a Million Cars a year ship from South Bend

Last Saturday my two grandsons participated in the Cub Scout Pinewood Derby. Prior to the races for the youngest Grandson they showed a video, showing how the kits are made, and I was surprised to learn that the final production as shipping is in South Bend.

Those blocks are transported to South Bend, Ind., where they go into retail boxes alongside four wheels and four axles.

In its 17 years making Pinewood Derby car kits, this single factory has created more than 23 million kits. The best part: the factory employs workers with disabilities, with a focus on training them and then finding them employment in the community. Last year alone, they placed 25 workers.

Once assembled and placed into shipping boxes of 48, the car kits head toward local Scout shops across the country.

https://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/20...kits-get-made/

Oldest finished third and youngest was mid pack, but hope it generates some interest in full size cars.

That's a cool story.
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Studebaker Pinewood Race Car

Great story -- I still have the Studebaker Pinewood Race Car I made with my son when he was in Cub Scouts years ago.
      Attached Files
      Bill Jackameit
      1964 Challenger Wagonaire
      1964 Daytona Sedan
      Total of 10 Studebakers owned since 1961
      Bill Jackameit's Studebaker Page online since October 1995
      https://billstudepage.homestead.com/files/studpg.htm

sigpic

Comment

No Stude's here, but we did make Jeeps and Amtrak Trains. The Jeep is more detailed than the picture shows. I remember some rule about only using the wood in the kit. So the Jeep got sliced such that the cut out part became the seats. The roll bar was coat hanger. I sometimes think the Dad's have more fun than the kids.

I remember one kids car was very elaborate. Turns out his father was a Machinist and did it on a CNC. When I looked at him somewhat perplexed about the involvement of his son he said, "Well, he pushed the button to start the machine." And so began this kids life as a Millennial. LOL

Great to hear about how the cars come about and the people involved.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by wittsend; 01-22-2018, 05:26 PM.
        '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Working...
        X