Newman & Altman Trucks tooling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
    This 1 Ton Dually Champ would have been Cool if they had chosen to Produce it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]81878[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]81879[/ATTACH]
    But at least people would not be able to B**** (complain) about the "Box Width"!
    Why DIDN'T Studebaker use the Champ cab on trucks larger than 3/4 ton? Perhaps Skip can fill us in, or someone else in the know.
    Mike Davis
    Regional Manager, North Carolina
    1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

I did look good.... wish we knew where it ended up.

Originally posted by skyway View Post
      "use the current (1964) style sheetmetal to upgrade the Champ"

Helped a friend do this 30+ years ago.
      As I recall the dog house (that is less the hood) was a bolt on at the cowl.
      Issue with the hood was the differences in the "line" of the cowls. He solved that by grafting the rear few inches of the Champ hood onto the rest of the '64 hood.
      Fresh air to the heater was also an issue.
      Lastly, the front of the front fenders was much higher than the truck frame. Solved that with blocks, but you could not make either the truck or car front bumper look right. Bumper bolted to the frame sat too low compared to the front (headlight/grill) sheet metal.
      No pictures, but despite all this it look pretty good.
      Lew Schucart
      Editor, Avanti Magazine

Comment

Originally posted by StudeNewby View Post
        Why DIDN'T Studebaker use the Champ cab on trucks larger than 3/4 ton? Perhaps Skip can fill us in, or someone else in the know.
        Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I have only a little to offer. I do have a copy of a single sheet entitled "1960 Truck Model Information", dated 11-6-59, by S.M. Zmyslo. Based on the stamp on the back, Dick Quinn had/has the original document. It is just a table listing truck chassis model, available wheelbases and engines, and the cab style (T1, C2, A1, A2, etc). Nothing unknown in the listing, but there a couple of interesting notes and omissions.

In response to the question above, the T cabs are labelled "Light series cab" and the only remaining 1960 (1, 1.5., and 2-ton) C-cab models are labelled "Heavy series cab". There apparently was a desire to distinguish between the El Camino-like Champs and the heavy haulers that still used the C cab. (Nice try, but we all know that the Champs were built on truck underpinnings, while the El Caminos were really a car chassis with a box instead of a back seat and trunk.)

Second, there's a note that states (in caps): PECULIAR PARTS NOT RELEASED FOR T1 AND T2 COWL". The point there was that the C-cab trucks could be ordered not just with a full cab, but also as a cowl unit, with or without windshield (A1 and A2). Studebaker sold a few of these units for use as delivery trucks, and apparently did not think the market justified the tooling expense to make such models on the T-cab platform. I guess they felt that they had to offer a full line of models if they were gonna market them as commercial vehicles.

Third, the table has extra lines (not filled in) that were reserved for the basic specs of 4WD Champ half- and 3/4-ton pickups. There's a note that says: "4-Wheel Drive removed from Light Series Cab Trucks". So they had made a conscious decision NOT to offer 4WD on the T-cabs -- some time after the table was prepared.
        Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
          Second, there's a note that states (in caps): PECULIAR PARTS NOT RELEASED FOR T1 AND T2 COWL". The point there was that the C-cab trucks could be ordered not just with a full cab, but also as a cowl unit, with or without windshield (A1 and A2). Studebaker sold a few of these units for use as delivery trucks, and apparently did not think the market justified the tooling expense to make such models on the T-cab platform. I guess they felt that they had to offer a full line of models if they were gonna market them as commercial vehicles.
          I wonder if the Champ 'Dune Scooters' in Michigan were ordered as an 'A2' cowl. https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....=michigan+dune

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            This one is also Cool:
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]81875[/ATTACH] It was built in Uraguay, with local version matching Box.
            That's currious, it looks like, tail lights were just an extra cost option, in Uraguay? It is a decent looking bed though.

Mark
            sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
              Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I have only a little to offer.
              Much obliged, Skip. Every little bit is more than I knew before.
              Mike Davis
              Regional Manager, North Carolina
              1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Working...
              X