No announcement yet.

6x6's on the Alcan Highway 1943

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[)]Gotta wonder how many of those guys ended up with prostate trouble, sometimes referred to as GI's Blues.[)]

steve blake
    http://tinyurl.com/kr3gt
    steve blake...roaming the Texas Panhandle in my trusty Champ pickup
    http://tinyurl.com/kr3gt

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Bill Pressler

I purchased the ad in Richard's first email, showing the color drawing of the Studebaker 6x6 on the ALcan Highway, just a couple weeks ago when I went to a Battle of the Bulge reenactment and celebration at Fort Indiantown Gap, PA, with Ed Filer and his son Ted. Longtime readers may recognize the Filers as the Studebaker dealers in my hometown of Greenville, PA, from 1926 to the end. There were many vendors of WWII memorabilia set up at the reenactment/celebration.

We slept in barracks there, and befriended a real veteran of the Bulge, from Maryland. His name was Morris ("call me Mo") and we took him with us to the nearby AACA Museum in Hershey (great place...they have a 3,000 mile '53 Commander Starliner and also had a '61 Champ on loan there). "Mo" wore his uniform to the "USO Show" they had on Saturday night of the 'Bulge' celebration...still looked great in it! A fun and educational time. I have even more respect for the WWII generation after being there and talking with some 'Bulge" veterans.

There were tons of Jeeps, a very early VW Beetle (near the 'German' barracks, of course!), and some big WWII-era trucks but no Studebakers though (sigh).

Bill Pressler
      Kent, OH
      '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
      Not to get off topic, but this reminds me of a gathering of the alumni of the First Special Service Force at Fort Bragg, NC a few years ago. A neighbor took me as he knew my Studebaker interest. The Musuem he was assinged to on base had two Weasels. They were on display (I got to drive one -- what fun!). I talked with some of the vets that actually used the first ones out in Montana when training for their original assignmet (In Norway and was cancelled.) They all loved the Weasel both then and now. Some wonderful and also some horrifying stories. It indeed was an education.

Joe Roberts
      '61 R1 Champ
      '65 Cruiser
      Editor of "The Down Easterner"
      Eastern North Carolina Chapter
      Joe Roberts
      '61 R1 Champ
      '65 Cruiser

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Bill Pressler

I purchased the ad in Richard's first email, showing the color drawing of the Studebaker 6x6 on the ALcan Highway, just a couple weeks ago when I went to a Battle of the Bulge reenactment and celebration at Fort Indiantown Gap, PA, with Ed Filer and his son Ted. Longtime readers may recognize the Filers as the Studebaker dealers in my hometown of Greenville, PA, from 1926 to the end. There were many vendors of WWII memorabilia set up at the reenactment/celebration.

We slept in barracks there, and befriended a real veteran of the Bulge, from Maryland. His name was Morris ("call me Mo") and we took him with us to the nearby AACA Museum in Hershey (great place...they have a 3,000 mile '53 Commander Starliner and also had a '61 Champ on loan there). "Mo" wore his uniform to the "USO Show" they had on Saturday night of the 'Bulge' celebration...still looked great in it! A fun and educational time. I have even more respect for the WWII generation after being there and talking with some 'Bulge" veterans.

There were tons of Jeeps, a very early VW Beetle (near the 'German' barracks, of course!), and some big WWII-era trucks but no Studebakers though (sigh).

Bill Pressler
        Kent, OH
        '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
        Not to get off topic, but this reminds me of a gathering of the alumni of the First Special Service Force at Fort Bragg, NC a few years ago. A neighbor took me as he knew my Studebaker interest. The Musuem he was assinged to on base had two Weasels. They were on display (I got to drive one -- what fun!). I talked with some of the vets that actually used the first ones out in Montana when training for their original assignmet (In Norway and was cancelled.) They all loved the Weasel both then and now. Some wonderful and also some horrifying stories. It indeed was an education.

Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser
        Editor of "The Down Easterner"
        Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser

Comment

This discussion brings back memories. I drove that road in Dec 71 in a 65 Chevelle SS. heading for Baltimore with just enough money for gas.
          Burnt starter up at Lower Laird River Lodge. Got a pull start and drove remaining 3000 or so miles sleeping in car. Would shut if off to
          check oil on a hill, kick start and leave it running the rest of the time. Don't remember much about the trip except it was 1200 miles of dirt
          from Alaskan border to Dawson Creek with the exception of about 30 miles around Whitehorse. I guess it's paved now, but I remember it as
          rough as hell. Thought I would never get off that road. The things you do when your too young to know any better.

Comment

This discussion brings back memories. I drove that road in Dec 71 in a 65 Chevelle SS. heading for Baltimore with just enough money for gas.
            Burnt starter up at Lower Laird River Lodge. Got a pull start and drove remaining 3000 or so miles sleeping in car. Would shut if off to
            check oil on a hill, kick start and leave it running the rest of the time. Don't remember much about the trip except it was 1200 miles of dirt
            from Alaskan border to Dawson Creek with the exception of about 30 miles around Whitehorse. I guess it's paved now, but I remember it as
            rough as hell. Thought I would never get off that road. The things you do when your too young to know any better.

Comment

Well, you've covered more of it than me, then I did do the stretch from Mayo to Dawson City back around 1981 or so, and it was all gravel then. Now the entire route is paved. There are even passing lanes on hills in some stretches here in B.C. I drove as far as Ft. Nelson a couple of years ago, and it was all paved. Right now, I'm in the bush not far from Wonowon. (Mile 101).

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Well, you've covered more of it than me, then I did do the stretch from Mayo to Dawson City back around 1981 or so, and it was all gravel then. Now the entire route is paved. There are even passing lanes on hills in some stretches here in B.C. I drove as far as Ft. Nelson a couple of years ago, and it was all paved. Right now, I'm in the bush not far from Wonowon. (Mile 101).

Comment

quote:Originally posted by gordr
                  Right now, I'm in the bush not far from Wonowon. (Mile 101).

Hope your vehicle has a "Climatizer" Gord... what's it been up there, about - 40?

<h5>Mark
                  '57 Transtar
                  3E-6/7-122
                  </h5>
                  Mark Hayden
                  '66 Commander
                  Zone Coordinator
                  Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

quote:Originally posted by gordr
                    Right now, I'm in the bush not far from Wonowon. (Mile 101).

Hope your vehicle has a "Climatizer" Gord... what's it been up there, about - 40?

<h5>Mark
                    '57 Transtar
                    3E-6/7-122
                    </h5>
                    Mark Hayden
                    '66 Commander
                    Zone Coordinator
                    Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Comment

Comment

If antone is interestd in purchasing a Studebaker 6X6 there is one for sale in Pa. It is restored and runs well. it is owned by an SDC member.
                          sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

If antone is interestd in purchasing a Studebaker 6X6 there is one for sale in Pa. It is restored and runs well. it is owned by an SDC member.
                            sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X