'57 Packard Clipper progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '57 Packard Clipper progress

Finally! Picked up the steering wheel-my pal made it like new. After install, then I'll load it on a trailer and get it to my upholstery shop for finishing(door & side panels, rear seat). This is after last years' frustrating lack of progress.
    More as things progress. I'm not complaining but as many of you know this is a work in progress done in stages while I'm in Arizona for about 3-4 months during the winter while the snow hits back at home. The biggest frustration is trying to remember where I left off partially due to my old memory.
    Once back from upholstery it's install LS1214 to put her back to factory original.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0852[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	1756352
    Cheers,
    Bill

That Studebaker-Packard will be a beauty when you're done.

And having several projects going on concurrently in two distant locations and relying on that old memory compounds your problem.

You've got more work to do coming up soon. ;>)

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Thanks for the "heads up" Jack. I can't say I'm waiting with baited breath as we both know how much is ahead for later this year. (Hoist install before motor swap for example). But maybe that's what keep me going instead of waiting for my next tee time.
      Hope all is well in the very frozen north. Life is good and warm here in Arizona.
      Cheers,
      Bill

Comment

That Wheel looks really Good Bill, did it have cracks in the usual places to be filled?
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

The 50 Land Cruiser I just bought will need to have some steering wheel cracks repaired.
          I knew I should have bought the mint one at South Bend last year.

Comment

Any new pictures Bill?
            sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
            Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
            "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Yes this wheel suffered from 40+ years sitting in Socal heat so cracks were very evident in all the usual places. It wasn't missing sections or anything like that so I guess it was a pretty good candidate for the overhaul. I attempted epoxy and just created more work for my pal who I believe ended up using JB Weld and lots of paint. He even sourced more of my correct body color white (from when he painted the car 4 years ago) so it matches perfectly. He made a jig so as to be able to turn the wheel so as to spray the colors uniformly. I've got to load her on the trailer today and then off to Mr.Upholstery on Monday. More pics as it happens.
              Bill

Comment

Picked her up from the upholstery shop this week and just received the tinted flat glass, so lots to do before heading back up north to BC.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0947[1].jpg
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	1719497Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0948[1].jpg
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	1719498Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0949[1].jpg
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	1719499

Comment

That rose and grey patterned interior is just lovely and befitting to 1950’s AmeriCARna! Excellent choice Buzzard!
                  Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

Your upholstery shop did a nice job. What a nice wagon!

Are you missing the chrome handle for the spare tire cover?

Comment

Matthew,
                      Just another "missing in action" piece of the puzzle. Over 6 years and living in two different countries and with an old memory that sucks, this apparently just goes with the territory. I know it's here somewhere.
                      Jake, the material(headliner, carpet and seat upholstery) is factory 1957 correct from SMS in Oregon and in reality, that is all I'm trying to accomplish. Make the Country Sedan as it was delivered to the dealership in 1957. I'll fill in more details later.
                      Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
                        Matthew,
                        Just another "missing in action" piece of the puzzle. Over 6 years and living in two different countries and with an old memory that sucks, this apparently just goes with the territory. I know it's here somewhere.

Bill
                        Send me a message with your address. I have an extra used one I’ll send ya.

Comment

Picked her up from the upholstery shop this week and just received the tinted flat glass, so lots to do before heading back up north to BC.[ATTACH=CONFIG]70314[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]70315[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]70316[/ATTACH]
                          Nothing short of beautiful; congrats. BP
                          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Matthew,
                            Jake, the material(headliner, carpet and seat upholstery) is factory 1957 correct from SMS in Oregon and in reality, that is all I'm trying to accomplish. Make the Country Sedan as it was delivered to the dealership in 1957. I'll fill in more details later.
                            Bill
                            Well, make sure not to keep me waiting! It should be excellent judging from what I have seen so far!
                            Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

Matthew,
                              Bill
                              You actually got SMS to weave your fabric? Good for you, I waited a year and they still hadn't made mine. I can't tell from the picture, does yours have the gold mylar thread running through it?
                              Chip
                              '63 Cruiser
                              '57 Packard wagon
                              '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
                              '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Working...
                              X