1963 Standard with Regal Trim?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1963 Standard with Regal Trim?

Buzz Beckman's Letters from Fred in the February 2008 Turning Wheels references an Exterior Group being a later addition to the Standard's option list. Fred Bartz' letter stated that said Exterior Group would include Regal(!) side trim. [:0]

This would produce a car with the frequently-used Studebaker script on the front fender(s), with a Regal stainless-steel spear running right above it, on its way back to the tail light(s).

'Can't say as I have ever heard of this before, or have ever seen a car so produced. Has anyone else? [?] [8D] BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Actually Bob, I've seen comments here on a car or two that was a Deluxe or Standard, that had been 'upgraded' somewhere in the past to a Regal trim. I wonder if the car really had come out of the factory that way? Wouldn't that Regal trim include full cover disks as well? What year these cars were, I can't remember. One may have been a '62 or even a '61. Just can't remember.[)]

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    Lotsa Larks!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Actually Bob, I've seen comments here on a car or two that was a Deluxe or Standard, that had been 'upgraded' somewhere in the past to a Regal trim. I wonder if the car really had come out of the factory that way? Wouldn't that Regal trim include full cover disks as well? What year these cars were, I can't remember. One may have been a '62 or even a '61. Just can't remember.[)]

Lotsa Larks!
      Ron Smith
      Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
      Ron Smith
      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma
        [This would produce a car with the frequently-used Studebaker script on the front fender(s), with a Regal stainless-steel spear running right above it, on its way back to the tail light(s).

'Can't say as I have ever heard of this before, or have ever seen a car so produced. Has anyone else? [?] [8D] BP
        Nope![^] But the Scotsman could be had with a "Chrome Dress-up Kit" to make it look like a 'x2' Deluxe, and the '64 Challenger was also available with an 'Appearance Kit' (option #85), so I would not be surprised if I see one eventually.

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma
          [This would produce a car with the frequently-used Studebaker script on the front fender(s), with a Regal stainless-steel spear running right above it, on its way back to the tail light(s).

Nope![^] But the Scotsman could be had with a "Chrome Dress-up Kit" to make it look like a 'x2' Deluxe, and the '64 Challenger was also available with an 'Appearance Kit' (option #85), so I would not be surprised if I see one eventually.

Craig

Comment

I'm guessing here, but would it not make sense that the side trim could have been offered to avoid door dings? I realize the moldings are pretty high on the sides, so I don't know how much good they would have done, but that's the first thing that crossed my mind when I read this.

Or maybe our favorite automaker had some extra Regal trim they didn't know what to do with ...

One thing is certain with Studebaker: Just when you think you've figured everything (or quite a bit!) out, another little tidbit comes along to challenge what you think you know!

Craig -- What was in the Challenger appearance package? I seem to recall it included chrome front and rear window moldings, but I know that can't be all. What else was there? I CAN'T REMEMBER!!! [V]

Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

Comment

I'm guessing here, but would it not make sense that the side trim could have been offered to avoid door dings? I realize the moldings are pretty high on the sides, so I don't know how much good they would have done, but that's the first thing that crossed my mind when I read this.

Or maybe our favorite automaker had some extra Regal trim they didn't know what to do with ...

One thing is certain with Studebaker: Just when you think you've figured everything (or quite a bit!) out, another little tidbit comes along to challenge what you think you know!

Craig -- What was in the Challenger appearance package? I seem to recall it included chrome front and rear window moldings, but I know that can't be all. What else was there? I CAN'T REMEMBER!!! [V]

Comment

I can't remember either what all was in the appearance kit, but front & rear window mouldings sounds right, I believe it had Commander body side mouldings also it would have a hood ornament added.

The Interior kit had a right hand arm rest and R/h visor an possibly a glove box, instead of the cardboard door. The Challenger also came with an extra cheap clock dummy, cheesier than a Commander and WAY cheesier than the nice Daytona one that had the glass and chrome bezel.

Well since we got only a little OT talking about '64 Challengers instead of '63 Standards, here is a rare one, a built the day before shutdown, '64 Challenger I used to own, it was ordered with the Taxi seat W/Green Cloth it's got the #85 Convenience Group which I think is the Interior kit. It was a V-8 with Commander body side Mouldings and Commander nameplates and Challenger "C" pillar Lark emblem (no window Mldgs. tho) when Dad bought it in 1975, so it COULD have been built that way, I don't know.

I think it was one of those that got factory modified from the unsold lot to fill existing orders, because it also had Air Cond. & Power Steering added.
                [img][/img]
                StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I can't remember either what all was in the appearance kit, but front & rear window mouldings sounds right, I believe it had Commander body side mouldings also it would have a hood ornament added.

The Interior kit had a right hand arm rest and R/h visor an possibly a glove box, instead of the cardboard door. The Challenger also came with an extra cheap clock dummy, cheesier than a Commander and WAY cheesier than the nice Daytona one that had the glass and chrome bezel.

Well since we got only a little OT talking about '64 Challengers instead of '63 Standards, here is a rare one, a built the day before shutdown, '64 Challenger I used to own, it was ordered with the Taxi seat W/Green Cloth it's got the #85 Convenience Group which I think is the Interior kit. It was a V-8 with Commander body side Mouldings and Commander nameplates and Challenger "C" pillar Lark emblem (no window Mldgs. tho) when Dad bought it in 1975, so it COULD have been built that way, I don't know.

I think it was one of those that got factory modified from the unsold lot to fill existing orders, because it also had Air Cond. & Power Steering added.
                  [img][/img]
                  StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
                  StudeRich

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jnewkirk77
                    The hood ornament was the only other piece of chrome.

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jnewkirk77
                      The hood ornament was the only other piece of chrome.

Craig

Comment

I have a couple of the green Sales Letters that address the optional trim for Standard models.
                        No. 126, 11/19/62, 'Appearance Group'- F2 and Y2 Standard Series (item #79) This consisted only of windshield and rear window stainless trim and a trunk mat.
                        No. 136, Jan. 10, 1963, 'Availability of Exterior Trim Group - F2 and Y2 Standard Series, (item #76) Consisted of bright metal side mouldings (rub rails) and hood ornament. This would be the upper, or Regal model, trim front to rear.

Dwain G.
                        "Burning Bridges...Lost Forevermore"......

Comment

I have a couple of the green Sales Letters that address the optional trim for Standard models.
                          No. 126, 11/19/62, 'Appearance Group'- F2 and Y2 Standard Series (item #79) This consisted only of windshield and rear window stainless trim and a trunk mat.
                          No. 136, Jan. 10, 1963, 'Availability of Exterior Trim Group - F2 and Y2 Standard Series, (item #76) Consisted of bright metal side mouldings (rub rails) and hood ornament. This would be the upper, or Regal model, trim front to rear.

Dwain G.
                          "Burning Bridges...Lost Forevermore"......

Comment

I think that would be the higher than Standard, but still "lower level" Regal, body side mouldings, not Top level.
                            Remember on the '63 F & non-Cruiser Y's the best was the Custom, with the '62 Daytona like, little brushed aluminum trim hanging below the 1/4 moulding.

quote:Originally posted by Dwain G.

No. 136, Jan. 10, 1963, 'Availability of Exterior Trim Group - F2 and Y2 Standard Series, (item #76) Consisted of bright metal side mouldings (rub rails) and hood ornament. This would be the upper, or Regal model, trim front to rear. Dwain G.
                            StudeRich
                            Studebakers Northwest
                            Ferndale, WA
                            StudeRich

Comment

I think that would be the higher than Standard, but still "lower level" Regal, body side mouldings, not Top level.
                              Remember on the '63 F & non-Cruiser Y's the best was the Custom, with the '62 Daytona like, little brushed aluminum trim hanging below the 1/4 moulding.

quote:Originally posted by Dwain G.

No. 136, Jan. 10, 1963, 'Availability of Exterior Trim Group - F2 and Y2 Standard Series, (item #76) Consisted of bright metal side mouldings (rub rails) and hood ornament. This would be the upper, or Regal model, trim front to rear. Dwain G.
                              StudeRich
                              Studebakers Northwest
                              Ferndale, WA
                              StudeRich

Comment

Working...
                              X