1950 R10 Panel van history?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950 R10 Panel van history?

Does anyone of you fellow Studebaker experts know the history of this 1950 R10 "panel van" that is for sale in Netherlands at https://www.erclassics.com/studebaker-r10-1950-s2291/? As far as I know Studebaker never produced a regular panel van or panel delivery in the fourties or fifties. The seller has no historic information on the truck other than it has been owned by people in The Netherlands and Belgium.
    The D´leteren company in Belgium used to assemble Studebaker cars (CKD) in the fifties so it might be a D´leteren-truck or at least a chassie from them. There is a metal sign on body from Carosserrie Roland in Tournai (a city in Belgium). I have found traces on the internet that there has been a body shop i Tournai with the name Carosserie Roland, so probably the van body was built there. But is this well designed panel van a one of a kind, or did they make more of them? Does anyone have more history to tell about this van and Carossiere Roland?
    Bengt
    Attached Files
    Bengt Engwall
    1953 Commander Starliner

It was almost certainly not built by Studebaker itself, and was probably caused to be built by D´leteren. I have seen pictures of other trucks sold by them, and they had wide contacts with truck/custom body builders. Many, like this one, were very attractive. As you probably know, you can purchase a copy of the original production order from the Studebaker Museum. It will probably show that it was ordered as an "A1" assembly, which had no body behind the cowl.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

I guess you are right about the truck being sold as an "A1". Do you happen to have any pictures of such D´leteren trucks that you can show, or do you know where such pictures can be found?
      Bengt Engwall
      1953 Commander Starliner

Comment

The production order will no doubt indicate it was shipped to Belgium as a knocked down bare chassis with no body (the grill, hood, cowl and windshield are considered part of the chassis).
        I'm sure some Studebaker owners in the Netherlands, Sweden or France might be quite familiar with the builder.
        Are you a member there, or tried contacting any of them?

amicalestudebaker@cegetel.net
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by Bengt53 View Post
          I guess you are right about the truck being sold as an "A1". Do you happen to have any pictures of such D´leteren trucks that you can show, or do you know where such pictures can be found?
          I don't have any such pictures, but remember that there were several articles in Turning Wheels about 10 years ago that described the various vehicles sold and modified by D'Ieteren. Maybe someone else can provide a reference to those issues.
          Skip Lackie

Comment

That is a great looking truck! The panel part of the truck reminds me of the wagon part of a Volvo 544 station wagon.
            Joe Roberts
            '61 R1 Champ
            '65 Cruiser
            Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
              That is a great looking truck! The panel part of the truck reminds me of the wagon part of a Volvo 544 station wagon.
              Wouldn't that be a 445 or 545? I am working from memory, as usual, on this.

EDIT: I think that the later wagon version would be a P210 and not the logical 545 (to follow the 445).
              There was a big difference in the wagon versions of the PV444 and PV544. The sedans were unit body and the wagons weren't.
              Last edited by studegary; 01-01-2018, 07:00 PM.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                Wouldn't that be a 445 or 545? I am working from memory, as usual, on this.

EDIT: I think that the later wagon version would be a P210 and not the logical 545 (to follow the 445).
                There was a big difference in the wagon versions of the PV444 and PV544. The sedans were unit body and the wagons weren't.
                I posted a photo of one in this thread here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ighlight=Duett

Craig

Comment

To those that might be interested in getting closer to the research angle, the D´Leteren Company in Belgium is operating, I believe... so it might be possible to email them a question directly. However, the company is much changed from its founding

http://www.dieteren.com/

But, there might be a knowledge person in the PR dept. that would be interested in shedding some light on this vehicle...
                  Richard
                  sigpic

Comment

Hej Bengt!
                    Prøva "Studebaker-Packard Club Netherland", de borde funka, & Paul Dames e åxå en trevlig man.
                    Last edited by Noxnabaker; 01-02-2018, 09:22 AM.

Comment

If you want to check with D'Ieteren's, contact Mrs Rommelaere: catherine.rommelaere@dieteren.be
                      She's very helpful and will provide you any information they got. And for free! You just have to give her the serial number of the van.
                      It really is a very nice vehicle.
                      Happy new year everyone.
                      sigpic

Comment

This would indeed be a super-cool vehicle to see/own here in the USA, even though the 25,000 Euro price is pretty steep....plus having it safely transported to the USA !
                        The current dealer's website, though, lists many other classic cars for sale, and they are uniformly pricey. Cases in point: two 1964/5 Mustang convertibles, each at 55,000 Euros !!!
                        Mike Auldridge
                        Gaithersburg, MD
                        301-651-4346
                        SDC Life Member since 1976
                        1948 M16
                        1961 Lark VIII convertible (with minor mods)

Comment

Originally posted by Noxnabaker View Post
                          Hej Bengt!
                          Prøva "Studebaker-Packard Club Netherland", de borde funka, & Paul Dames e åxå en trevlig man.
                          Hi Nox, we have been in contact with Paul. He had no information about the van, but sent a picture of a couple 1950 Studebaker ambulances that where built by an (unknown) Dutch body shop.
                          Attached Files
                          Bengt Engwall
                          1953 Commander Starliner

Comment

Originally posted by christophe View Post
                            If you want to check with D'Ieteren's, contact Mrs Rommelaere: catherine.rommelaere@dieteren.be
                            She's very helpful and will provide you any information they got. And for free! You just have to give her the serial number of the van.
                            Happy new year everyone.
                            Great tips Christophe!
                            Happy new year

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by christophe View Post
                            Happy new year everyone.
                            Great tips Christophe!
                            Happy new year
                            Bengt Engwall
                            1953 Commander Starliner

Comment

Okidoki Bengt, I don't think the rear wheel arches was as nice on the Dutch built ones thou.
                              (By the way, it's a pity that Swedish Studebaker owners don't have more kids in school, then the big meet wouldn't be when it's still schooldays...)

Comment

Working...
                              X