Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawklover
    replied
    Bob, we need more people here in NY that think like you!!
    Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
    The car's Serial Number is 64V19588. Among the options on the Production Order are:

22A 4-speed trans T 10 C 220R
    and
    37A High Perf Pkg R3
    and
    75 4.55 axle ratio

Other notations on the PO state:

SOLD RUSH
    and
    Send to Engineering for installation of items 22A and 37A

Here's an idea, Bill:

Ask Mr. Know-It-All if he would put $100 in escrow somewhere as a bet that what he says is true, and you'll do the same. Then, you spend $40 for a copy of the Production Order from The Studebaker National Museum.

As soon as the Production Order is shown to the Escrow Agent, you collect the $200 in Escrow ($100 of which was yours in the first place) and you are ahead $60. Easy-peazy.

Some people.... BP

Leave a comment:

• Bill Pressler
    replied
    There are all sorts of ridiculous statements on Facebook just intended to get a rise out of someone.

Truer words have never been spoken, LOL.

Leave a comment:

• 52-fan
    replied
    I read those Facebook posts and even commented yesterday. I wondered if the guy was just being a "troll" and trying to see how many comments he could collect. There are all sorts of ridiculous statements on Facebook just intended to get a rise out of someone.
    The original comment was a complaint about the Plain Brown Wrapper being on the first cover in the new Turning Wheels format. It sounded like he was one of those people who only want stock cars in the SDC.

Leave a comment:

• swvalcon
    replied
    I would think a 4.88 would be a little steep for a stock or close to it 289. We ran 4.88 with a 31" tire on our Vega drag car and it was pulling mid 7000's RPM on the top end at about 130.MPH.

Leave a comment:

• Bill Pressler
    replied
    Originally posted by studegary View Post
    The base price for 1963 Corvettes was $4037 for convertibles and $4038 for coupes. It amazes me that they bothered with a one dollar difference.
    This is one year of Corvette where the coupes are now worth more than the convertibles, assuming the same equipment and condition.
    Here's a factory window sticker for a '63 coupe, showing the base price at $4,252, which is more in line with what I remember hearing and reading over the years, plus seems more logical than one dollar difference from the convertible--back when the hardtop was optional on the convert. You must page to the right in this link, as I was unable to find a way to post only the window sticker in a link:

http://bsccorvette.com/corvettes/ver...crs-top-flight

I saw the number you posted from a Corvette site, but I've often seen goofs on 'expert' sites.

Of course, there could've been a price increase during the year, but over $200 on a $4,000 car seems unlikely.

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
    Regarding Facebook - yes, a lot of misinformation,

Today I read that '63 Corvettes started at $3K. Only about $1,300 low (sticker, anyway!).

If I'm not sure of something, I say, "I think" or "I'm not sure...". Probably due to my being an auditor and being taught on-the-job to write so as to not give people room to discount a statement and draw attention away from the material matter, LOL.

That said, I enjoy Facebook and some might say I'm addicted to it. Best thing for me is reconnecting with old high school friends and classmates.
    The base price for 1963 Corvettes was $4037 for convertibles and $4038 for coupes. It amazes me that they bothered with a one dollar difference.
    This is one year of Corvette where the coupes are now worth more than the convertibles, assuming the same equipment and condition.

Leave a comment:

• Bill Pressler
    replied
    Butch, I did indeed ride in Nelson's R3 Daytona...'exhilarating' doesn't begin to describe it!

Leave a comment:

• Bill Pressler
    replied
    Regarding Facebook - yes, a lot of misinformation,

Today I read that '63 Corvettes started at $3K. Only about $1,300 low (sticker, anyway!).

If I'm not sure of something, I say, "I think" or "I'm not sure...". Probably due to my being an auditor and being taught on-the-job to write so as to not give people room to discount a statement and draw attention away from the material matter, LOL.

That said, I enjoy Facebook and some might say I'm addicted to it. Best thing for me is reconnecting with old high school friends and classmates.

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    Item 75, 4.55 Axle.. Can you really put 4.55 ratio in a standard Dana 44 axle housing?
    And yes the Standard Dana 44 Case and the Lower Gear Carrier take a 4.55 AND a 4.88 just fine.
    As well as 5.12 and 6.33 ratios, if anyone is racing 1/8-mile.

jack vines

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    The R3 Avantis HAD Flanged Axles.
    And yes the Standard Dana 44 Case and the Lower Gear Carrier take a 4.55 AND a 4.88 just fine.
    Ted had a 4.88, in the Wrapper or the Tomato, but if I remember correctly the R's were just a little Too high at the 1/4 Mile Marker or too much burnout off the line or "feathering" required to prevent it?

I think the 4.55 is THE Best 1/4 Mile Gear for a 289.

Remember that all '51-'54 Commanders with a 232 & Overdrive had a Standard Ratio of 4.55 to 1.
    Small Engine, Med Heavy Car, less than 1 to 1 Top Gear = VERY LOW Axle Ratio.

By 1964 Year model, they were using 2.54 Ratio Low Gear T-10's, so I assume one reason the 22A variation went to Engr. is to "Build" one, if necessary with a Late Case (Ford) but with the early T10 Higher Low Gear required for the 4.55 Axle.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 12-27-2017, 12:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SScopelli
    replied
    Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
    The car's Serial Number is 64V19588. Among the options on the Production Order are:

22A 4-speed trans T 10 C 220R
    and
    37A High Perf Pkg R3
    and
    75 4.55 axle ratio

Other notations on the PO state:

SOLD RUSH
    and
    Send to Engineering for installation of items 22A and 37A

BP
    First off, Merry Christmas all..

Second..

Item 75, 4.55 Axle.. Can you really put 4.55 ratio in a standard Dana 44 axle housing? With engineering involved, did they also update this to the flange axles instead of tapered?

Inquiring minds would like to know.

Leave a comment:

• 2R2
    replied
    A copy of the shipper for Nel's 1964 R3 Commander appears in the early Spring 1996 issue of Jet Thrust News #6. It shows the car produced with option 37A, the R3 high performance package.

Regarding Facebook - yes, a lot of misinformation, but a lot of interesting stuff too. It attracts a wider audience, but less informed too. Enjoy the good stuff, and skip the rest.

Leave a comment:

• studerodder
    replied
    Hey Bill, what about Nels red 64 Daytona R-3? You went for a ride in that one didn’t you?

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
    Consider the source; and yet another reason not to be on Farcebook. jack vines
    I'll give you an "Amen" on that, Jack! BP

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    Some dude on a Studebaker Facebook forum
    Consider the source; and yet another reason not to be on Farcebook.

jack vines

Leave a comment:

Working...
X