Nelson Bove's R3 Commander production order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nelson Bove's R3 Commander production order

I tried to search, but couldn't locate, a photo here of Nelson's '64 Commander R3's production order. Some dude on a Studebaker Facebook forum claims to have been an SDC member for years but says no factory R3 in anything but an Avanti was built. Sheesh, I am certain I've seen the build sheet for this car on this forum or in a TW before. He says "Show the build sheet". As is usual with people like him, he is shockingly ignorant of a rather basic fact of Studebaker history and of course speaks it with total confidence.
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

Your dude might want to have a look at this article:
    https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/mu...3/1280872.html
    Nice evening to all.
    sigpic

Comment

The car's Serial Number is 64V19588. Among the options on the Production Order are:

22A 4-speed trans T 10 C 220R
      and
      37A High Perf Pkg R3
      and
      75 4.55 axle ratio

Other notations on the PO state:

SOLD RUSH
      and
      Send to Engineering for installation of items 22A and 37A

Here's an idea, Bill:

Ask Mr. Know-It-All if he would put $100 in escrow somewhere as a bet that what he says is true, and you'll do the same. Then, you spend $40 for a copy of the Production Order from The Studebaker National Museum.

As soon as the Production Order is shown to the Escrow Agent, you collect the $200 in Escrow ($100 of which was yours in the first place) and you are ahead $60. Easy-peazy.

Some people.... BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob, that is brilliant! Really!
        Bill Pressler
        Kent, OH
        All are in Australia now

Comment

Some dude on a Studebaker Facebook forum
          Consider the source; and yet another reason not to be on Farcebook.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
            Consider the source; and yet another reason not to be on Farcebook. jack vines
            I'll give you an "Amen" on that, Jack! BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Hey Bill, what about Nels red 64 Daytona R-3? You went for a ride in that one didn’t you?
              61 lark cruiser
              64 daytona 2dr hardtop

Comment

A copy of the shipper for Nel's 1964 R3 Commander appears in the early Spring 1996 issue of Jet Thrust News #6. It shows the car produced with option 37A, the R3 high performance package.

Regarding Facebook - yes, a lot of misinformation, but a lot of interesting stuff too. It attracts a wider audience, but less informed too. Enjoy the good stuff, and skip the rest.
                Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
                \'60 Lark Convertible

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                  The car's Serial Number is 64V19588. Among the options on the Production Order are:

22A 4-speed trans T 10 C 220R
                  and
                  37A High Perf Pkg R3
                  and
                  75 4.55 axle ratio

Other notations on the PO state:

SOLD RUSH
                  and
                  Send to Engineering for installation of items 22A and 37A

BP
                  First off, Merry Christmas all..

Second..

Item 75, 4.55 Axle.. Can you really put 4.55 ratio in a standard Dana 44 axle housing? With engineering involved, did they also update this to the flange axles instead of tapered?

Inquiring minds would like to know.

Comment

The R3 Avantis HAD Flanged Axles.
                    And yes the Standard Dana 44 Case and the Lower Gear Carrier take a 4.55 AND a 4.88 just fine.
                    Ted had a 4.88, in the Wrapper or the Tomato, but if I remember correctly the R's were just a little Too high at the 1/4 Mile Marker or too much burnout off the line or "feathering" required to prevent it?

I think the 4.55 is THE Best 1/4 Mile Gear for a 289.

Remember that all '51-'54 Commanders with a 232 & Overdrive had a Standard Ratio of 4.55 to 1.
                    Small Engine, Med Heavy Car, less than 1 to 1 Top Gear = VERY LOW Axle Ratio.

By 1964 Year model, they were using 2.54 Ratio Low Gear T-10's, so I assume one reason the 22A variation went to Engr. is to "Build" one, if necessary with a Late Case (Ford) but with the early T10 Higher Low Gear required for the 4.55 Axle.
                    Last edited by StudeRich; 12-27-2017, 12:47 PM.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Item 75, 4.55 Axle.. Can you really put 4.55 ratio in a standard Dana 44 axle housing?
                      And yes the Standard Dana 44 Case and the Lower Gear Carrier take a 4.55 AND a 4.88 just fine.
                      As well as 5.12 and 6.33 ratios, if anyone is racing 1/8-mile.

jack vines
                      PackardV8

Comment

Regarding Facebook - yes, a lot of misinformation,

Today I read that '63 Corvettes started at $3K. Only about $1,300 low (sticker, anyway!).

If I'm not sure of something, I say, "I think" or "I'm not sure...". Probably due to my being an auditor and being taught on-the-job to write so as to not give people room to discount a statement and draw attention away from the material matter, LOL.

That said, I enjoy Facebook and some might say I'm addicted to it. Best thing for me is reconnecting with old high school friends and classmates.
                        Bill Pressler
                        Kent, OH
                        All are in Australia now

Comment

Butch, I did indeed ride in Nelson's R3 Daytona...'exhilarating' doesn't begin to describe it!
                          Bill Pressler
                          Kent, OH
                          All are in Australia now

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
                            Regarding Facebook - yes, a lot of misinformation,

Today I read that '63 Corvettes started at $3K. Only about $1,300 low (sticker, anyway!).

If I'm not sure of something, I say, "I think" or "I'm not sure...". Probably due to my being an auditor and being taught on-the-job to write so as to not give people room to discount a statement and draw attention away from the material matter, LOL.

That said, I enjoy Facebook and some might say I'm addicted to it. Best thing for me is reconnecting with old high school friends and classmates.
                            The base price for 1963 Corvettes was $4037 for convertibles and $4038 for coupes. It amazes me that they bothered with a one dollar difference.
                            This is one year of Corvette where the coupes are now worth more than the convertibles, assuming the same equipment and condition.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                              The base price for 1963 Corvettes was $4037 for convertibles and $4038 for coupes. It amazes me that they bothered with a one dollar difference.
                              This is one year of Corvette where the coupes are now worth more than the convertibles, assuming the same equipment and condition.
                              Here's a factory window sticker for a '63 coupe, showing the base price at $4,252, which is more in line with what I remember hearing and reading over the years, plus seems more logical than one dollar difference from the convertible--back when the hardtop was optional on the convert. You must page to the right in this link, as I was unable to find a way to post only the window sticker in a link:

http://bsccorvette.com/corvettes/ver...crs-top-flight

I saw the number you posted from a Corvette site, but I've often seen goofs on 'expert' sites.

Of course, there could've been a price increase during the year, but over $200 on a $4,000 car seems unlikely.
                              Bill Pressler
                              Kent, OH
                              All are in Australia now

Comment

Working...
                              X