Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Studebaker's Bob Bourke copy the Tucker - or was it the other way around?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jclary View Post
    One thing we may be overlooking, is how small a group (fraternity) that were involved in automotive design among the major manufacturers of the era. These design engineers, like "hired gunmen" of the old west, migrated from one manufacturer to the other. They attended car shows, professional seminars, etc., and often exchanged ideas, and influenced each other. Most, were dynamic personalities, who expressed their concepts in drawings, 3D models, and full size "mock-ups." Looking at today's vehicles, you could conclude that not much has changed from the resulting "group think."
    Also even closer relationships (in the true sense of the word), like when the father worked for Chrysler design and the son worked for Studebaker design.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I first met Bob Bourke at a Milestone convention in PA in the early 1970's and a couple of times thereafter. On one visit he gave me an initialed, (1941), pastel sketch of what would become the "all new" 1947 model. It is one of my most cherished possessions...

Comment

Originally posted by GrumpyOne View Post
        I first met Bob Bourke at a Milestone convention in PA in the early 1970's and a couple of times thereafter. On one visit he gave me an initialed, (1941), pastel sketch of what would become the "all new" 1947 model. It is one of my most cherished possessions...
        I drove my 1953 Commander Starliner to that Milestone convention. I was a charter member of Milestone. I remember a Tucker at that meet that I was able to sit in, both front and rear.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

So far as I know, Tucker and Bourke have no connection whatsoever.
          Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
            I drove my 1953 Commander Starliner to that Milestone convention. I was a charter member of Milestone. I remember a Tucker at that meet that I was able to sit in, both front and rear.
            Wow. I also was there, and was a charter member of MCS, too. Drove a non-Milestone 62 Impala (which I still have) to the meet. Got Bob Bourke and Bob Andrews to autograph the same piece of Stude sales lit.
            Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
            X