No announcement yet.

OOPS: This doesn't look good...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've seen roll over accidents that had very similar damage...

Comment

Originally posted by Corley View Post
      Tornados can cause some pretty weird damage too... Could be that...
      We seldom get those in Pennsylvania, where this Speedster is located.
      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10,
      '51 Commander Starlight,
      '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
      '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Though if this did happen while on a Trailer/Carrier, may have been in another State when damaged ?

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
        We seldom get those in Pennsylvania, where this Speedster is located.
        Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Thanks for posting this! I hope that there is at least one person out there who has one of these, and who has seriously considered restoring it. There is a good $8-10K, in restored parts, and all in one place. So it's not only expensive parts, but the time involved in finding, and restoring them.

I wonder if the car is known to the keeper of the Speedster roster. Can information from the ID's be gotten? There's a story here and I would like to know more.

Comment

Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
            Thanks for posting this! I hope that there is at least one person out there who has one of these, and who has seriously considered restoring it. There is a good $8-10K, in restored parts, and all in one place. So it's not only expensive parts, but the time involved in finding, and restoring them.

I wonder if the car is known to the keeper of the Speedster roster. Can information from the ID's be gotten? There's a story here and I would like to know more.
            You're welcome. I wouldn't have known about it except it was forwarded to me by SDCer Pekka Polvinen in Finland, of all things!

You're so right about the parts value, Bill. Geeze, the current bid on the car is only $275! BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Makes me sad just looking at it.
              1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
              1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
              1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
              1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
              1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
              1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Comment

The engine and I assume, the driveline appears untouched. The rear end housing and axles might be tweaked a little. The car is probably worth 2K in parts. There does not appear to be much bondo in the body panels telling me that this might be a rust free tub. The floorpan might be very useful to someone building a "K" body. What a shame.
                james r pepper

Comment

Notice that it is not technically up for bid yet. It is listed for a "future sale". I guess this is to develop interest.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Maybe the car is only worth $2K as Jim says, but I respectfully disagree on the value of the individual parts. The show quality front grille pieces are going for $1500>, the remaining small chrome pieces (some of which are virtually unobtainable) should be worth more then $1K, the seats and leather upholstery should be worth $3-4K, then there is the chassis and running gear. In the 70's, when I restored my Speedster, I would have been overjoyed to find something like this. I think that the value really depends on whether one has a dedicated Speedster project.

Comment

I have a rust free California K body next door in Maryland. VERY TEMPTING!
                      ed ellis

sigpic

the "SUPER COUPE"

Comment

Originally posted by ed ellis View Post
                        I have a rust free California K body next door in Maryland. VERY TEMPTING!
                        Go for it, Ed! You da' man! BP
                        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                          Go for it, Ed! You da' man! BP

No kidding, looks ,like a killer deal for parts, the shipping cost makes it a bust out here.

Comment

For over a year someone has had an ad on Portland (Oregon) craigslist for a pair of ‘55 Speedster project cars, possibly overpriced at $3500.00 for the pair. With the above damaged car, maybe you could make 2 out of the 3 of them.https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/...435310546.html
                            Last edited by Studebakercenteroforegon; 12-25-2017, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X