Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tomlewis
    replied
    [QUOTE=8E45E;1087892]That 17-digit is an international standard; not just a 'US' thing. Gary can chime in if he likes and add to this, but the 17 digit VIN also contains the numeric country-of-manufacture code, the vehicle manufacturer's code, etc.

I agree, but I think you are reading more into my statement than I actually said. While the 17-digit VIN does indeed contain country-of-manufacture codes and was an international standard, it was not federally mandated in the United States until 1981

Tom

Leave a comment:

• Mike Sal
    replied
    Hmmm....took a look at my Canadian built cars today & see that the '65 Cruiser VIN plate was attached with round steel pop rivets which are rusty, and both of my '66 Commanders have stainless steel rosette type pop rivets.
    Mike Sal
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• lschuc
    replied
    Like BezHawk mentions above, he has reproduced the stainless plates with engraved numbers. He also has the correct decals for South Bend produced Studebakers, 1962-1964.

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    Originally posted by tomlewis View Post
    but here n the U.S., what is called a VIN (17 digits) was not federally mandated until 1981.
    That 17-digit is an international standard; not just a 'US' thing. Gary can chime in if he likes and add to this, but the 17 digit VIN also contains the numeric country-of-manufacture code, the vehicle manufacturer's code, etc.

Craig

Leave a comment:

• tomlewis
    replied
    Ha Ha. Maybe Studebaker of Canada labeled it as such in '65 and '66, but here n the U.S., what is called a VIN (17 digits) was not federally mandated until 1981

Tom

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post
    The (never been messed with) s/n plate on my '65 Cruiser looks like~

[ATTACH=CONFIG]69166[/ATTACH]

South Bend cars can / will vary...
    Look CLOSE, Dave, its a V.I.N.; NOT a 'serial number' in 1965 & 6!!

Craig

Leave a comment:

• mbstude
    replied
    I've got a repro aluminum plate for a '50 era Stude. I can't remember where I got it from but I've had it for a while. Anyone need it?

Leave a comment:

• swvalcon
    replied
    Most factorys us the rivets with the special heads. I didn't think Studebaker ever did. At one time they where not available to the aftermarket. I guess to keep people from swapping vin tags on stolen cars. I'am sure for military or back in the 20's or so it wasn't an issue because stolen title swaps where not that big of a deal. I don't know as what I would use a screw or even one of the special head rivets just in case it ever gets inspected by someone that knows their stuff. I had a customer that had a 66 mustang convert that he had just bought. When we checked the vin tag out it came up as a 2 dr coupe. He ended up making the people take the car back and refunding his money. This could happen even after several years and a couple different owners. Ask me how I know.

Leave a comment:

• Skip Lackie
    replied
    Most (all?) of the C cab truck serial plates I have seen were screwed on. Some were ALSO spot welded.

Leave a comment:

• JRoberts
    replied
    I thought trucks (non-military) had screws to hold the tags on.

Leave a comment:

• StudeDave57
    replied
    FYI...

The (never been messed with) s/n plate on my '65 Cruiser looks like~

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6889.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	1717582

South Bend cars can / will vary...

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Very easy, just cut a hole around the Plate to save, and grind the welds off from the back of the Pillar piece, not hurting the Front.

Then grind the saved Car's "A" pillar smooth after grinding away the trash Plate from the Front.
    Last, use the "Fuser" Body Panel Adhesive to permanently fasten it.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Sal
    replied
    How is the best way to remove the VIN plate from the A pillar? I've got a nice rust free body to replace the rusty one on my 66 Commander. I'll need to remove both plates from both cars without destroying the one from the '66 so I can re-use it.
    Mike Sal

Leave a comment:

• bezhawk
    replied
    I have made stainless blanks, and had them ENGRAVED not stamped. The font on the later cars with date numbered beginnings is different from the numbers after the date. That is you can have two different fonts for numbers on the same plate. It is not true that no plates were riveted ....Avantis were RIVETED to the frame. When replacing them use panel bond adhesive as it is as strong as a weld, and will not leave a gap behind it like two sided tape.

Leave a comment:

• SScopelli
    replied
    I have Stainless blanks, but for 63, which were smaller than previous years. They have no decals.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X