No announcement yet.

Jackstand suggestions ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of the advantages of working on a big Studebaker truck is that it's already so high off the ground that you don't need to jack it up for most repair jobs (exception: brake work).
    Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
      I was surprised that my little 1.5 ton Harbor Freight aluminum jack was able to lift my 01 Ford E350 box truck so it's good to know in a pinch. As far as lifting the rear by the center of the diff, why not? That's the spot I've used for the past 60+ years. Ditto for the center of the front axle.
      When reading through the owner's manual for my 96 F150 pick up I noticed that it said never to lift the truck with a jack under the center of the differential. Just thought I would pass this on. I guess it is possible to bend the axle housing since the weight is always carried at the springs. I too have always for 60 years lifted them under the dif.
      Nick

Comment

In lieu of jack stands I use 4" x 12" slabs of rough cut lumber 18" long. Big footprint and they will not collapse under a load. I owned a sawmill so I could make my own and the quality of the lumber was probably much better than Lowes/Home Depot.
        Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

Originally posted by Guido View Post
          In lieu of jack stands I use 4" x 12" slabs of rough cut lumber 18" long. Big footprint and they will not collapse under a load. I owned a sawmill so I could make my own and the quality of the lumber was probably much better than Lowes/Home Depot.
          I do that too, for longer term project build a wood crib to hold vehicle, no chance of it falling then. But not like the pic below!

Click image for larger version

Name:	redneckjackstands.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	1717569

Comment

Originally posted by KenF View Post
            I do that too, for longer term project build a wood crib to hold vehicle, no chance of it falling then. But not like the pic below!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]69129[/ATTACH]

Good Grief!!! A former college classmate of mine, and his wife, only have photo's & memories of their son who died with his pick up resting on his chest. It has been years since the tragedy, and I don't recall the details. That young man was a high school classmate of my daughter. No matter how you support a vehicle, there is always risks. Even if the support is excellent, and the risks are small, nothing will be worth your life!

I always use jack stands, and leave the jack in place too! On occasions where the jack is in the way, I take extra precautions with extra support.

One additional caution...It is tempting when moving around under a supported vehicle, to reach up and grab onto the frame for leverage to move around. Try not to do that. It is possible to move a vehicle off the jack stands that way. Even the rubber protectors you can buy, to place over the jack stand contact points, do not completely protect them from sliding sideways if enough lateral force is applied.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
            X