Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ah the dreamers of the world..................

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
    Sal IMHO, those that collect cars strictly to speculate, seriously damage the hobby with escalating prices, often shutting out those who would want the same car to purchase, hold, and enjoy for a good number of years....yes I realize many variables can be in play here, but just how I personally feel.
    One I partly restored, Frame on, bought 59K last year. It was an automatic with AC car. Don't poo-poo rising values because it prices you out of the hobby. The current financial climate of the middle class precludes expensive hobbies. Stupid things like food and shelter take precedence.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      These kind of offerings really make you wonder, How it is that a 22,000 Mile Car would need all the Upholstery ripped out and replaced with Leather (if it IS) plus all the Interior Trim Panels on the Dash, Console etc. re-painted or re-covered in flat Black ruining the Original Finish, and a "Restoration" done to everything probably including Paint?
      I don't want to jump to conclusions on the interior just yet. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...-(July-1-1963)

There was a window where cars with black interior would receive a black steering wheel and dash trim. This car could be one of them.

Craig

Comment

OK, since it does have a Black Steering Wheel, there is a chance that the Black Trim Panels came that way.
        It says it is Serial # R3842, does anyone know the Serials with that limited time Trim?
        However it does not explain the "Restoration" on a 22,000 Mile Car.

It seems to be getting very common lately for especially Classic Car Lot "Flippers", to actually BELIEVE that the High Quality low gloss Vinyls on '63 to '66 Studebakers is actually LEATHER, so I guess this could be still another case of just that.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I like it a lot, but have a question;

I believe this is the first Avanti I have seen where the rear view mirrors are mounted on the fenders. Was this a factory installation?
          Money may not buy happiness, but it's more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes than on a bicycle.

Comment

Mirrors on most 1960's Cars were NOT Standard, so a Dealer or an Owner could place the Side View Mirrors wherever he or she liked, and buy some kind of Mirror at the Dealer, Pep Boys, Sears Roebuck, Montgomery Wards or Western Auto.

They were only Factory installed on request and rarely were. The common sense answer is, without the New Owner IN the Car, there is no way to be sure they would be usable!

On Avantis however, Studebaker did promote that Model of Accessory Studebaker Mirror for the Avanti, and did show pictures with them where possibly Raymond Loewy liked them. Dumb idea though, since their USE is questionable at that distance.
            Last edited by StudeRich; 12-11-2017, 06:25 PM.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

The familiar Volume 10,#3 Automobile Quarterly shows a white Avanti with fender-mounted mirrors, but the less expensive Stratoline style.

Craig

Comment

R-3842 was built in March, 1963.

The all Black interior became available in May, 1963.

The first Avanti with the all Black interior is R-4130, Egbert's Avanti.

The first Avanti with the Black steering wheel and dash trim is R-4654, built in June, 1963.
                Bob Langer
                Glenshaw,PA

Comment

It seems to be getting very common lately for especially Classic Car Lot "Flippers", to actually BELIEVE that the High Quality low gloss Vinyls on '63 to '66 Studebakers is actually LEATHER, so I guess this could be still another case of just that.
                  I find that with ANY make of car with a vinyl interior. Arguably, the worst offender has to be used Mercedes Benzes for sale. True, many of them did have genuine leather, but a good many did not, having what Mercedes called "M-B Tex" hard wearing vinyl.

Craig

Comment

I thought about the few 'black' cars also. However, I believe it is too early a serial number. I have R4551, ordered on 5/27/63, which has the BKV option. Dinoc panels, wood graon steering wheel, round control knobs etc.

I don't know if mine is one of the ones with bad dinoc, but I do know that the bkv option was where they started testing it. FWIW, it has round headlight openings and all black interior.

I believe the one in question has too early a serial number to be one of the painted black panel cars.
                    78 Avanti RQB 2792
                    64 Avanti R1 R5408
                    63 Avanti R1 R4551
                    63 Avanti R1 R2281
                    62 GT Hawk V15949
                    56 GH 6032504
                    56 GH 6032588
                    55 Speedster 7160047
                    55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

I wonder how it got five doors...
                      If you include the hood, trunk and gas filler door maybe?
                      "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

"cugine", "scarole", "Ciao"! ???????????
                        Have you forgotten that the last I checked,
                        this is still the United States of America, and our Language is English!
                        I'm still living in the Studebaker age, and don't understand those words either.

I also don't understand a low mileage car needing a complete restoration.

Comment

Maybe it wasn't a matter of NEEDING, but more of WANTING to bring it to a higher standard ?

These kind of offerings really make you wonder, How it is that a 22,000 Mile Car would need all the Upholstery ripped out and replaced with Leather (if it IS) plus all the Interior Trim Panels on the Dash, Console etc. re-painted or re-covered in flat Black ruining the Original Finish, and a "Restoration" done to everything probably including Paint?

Sure I understand that it's 54 Years old, but what kind of care would it have to have had to destroy EVERYTHING, probably including the Engine in only 22,000 Miles?
                          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

One additional thing......my uncle was in the automotive/truck interior business for over 50 years, taking over the business from his father.......I grew up in that shop and can tell you one thing, my uncle would never do seats like I see in this car.......look at the folds on the material, that should have been adjusted with a steam wand and hand manipulation, other things that others have pointed out bother me as well......instrument cluster overlay, steering wheel.......dash, roll bar cover et al.........I do not want to pick the car to death.......and I could........point being as I previously mentioned for 48K dollars the car "should" be almost perfect.......oh for Champ and the others: Cugine=cousin, Scarole=money (shortened from Escarole being "green") Ciao=short informal way to say goodby, Arrivederci would be the formal way. To all those reading this I say Grazie mille, or in English...a thousand thanks:-)

Comment

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
                              Sal IMHO, those that collect cars strictly to speculate, seriously damage the hobby with escalating prices, often shutting out those who would want the same car to purchase, hold, and enjoy for a good number of years....yes I realize many variables can be in play here, but just how I personally feel.
                              Yeah, yer probably right, but they are here nonetheless. Worst case scenario is those speculators will cause the value of your poor ole Avanti triple in value. Now that would be a cryin shame...
                              sals54

Comment

One other thing: This car has a 160-MPH speedometer, used only on R2 & R3 Avantis. An R1 car should have a 140-MPH speedometer. I agree with all the observations others have made. To me the car looks like it has been modified to the owner's taste.
                                -Dwight

Comment

Working...
                                X