No announcement yet.

1967 Avanti "prototype"???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About ten years ago the car was for sale...I thought about buying it but decided against it. Avantis can be tough enough to own and maintain...an outlier like that one would add special types of misery in maintenance and repairs...much less a restoration should it have been required. I just couldn't see it just for the "cool" factor.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

That's one nasty hood bulge! Like some low-poly '80s hi-tech CGI.
      1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
      1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
      1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
      1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
      1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
      1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
        I think this car has been discussed on this forum before...just can't remember what was said about it. Like the BGT in the background, and the wires on the Avanti. cheers, junior
        Yes it was; at least twice:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...Rare-Avanti-II

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...h-supercharger

Craig
        Last edited by 8E45E; 12-14-2017, 05:13 AM.

Comment

I was thinking how it's odd that the supercharger fit nicely under the hood for the Stude powered version but not the SBC version. I was also wondering if this was just a proof of concept, and the clunky hood bulge would have seen a sleeker restyling if this thing had made production?
          1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
          1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
          1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
          1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
          1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
          1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Comment

I think it was likely the easiest way to install the blower without a redesign of the entire belt and accessory package. You're probably correct that if it would have been a regular production item a better way would have been designed to retain the stock hood line. The way it's set up a dual master cylinder could not have been fitted and 1967 was the year duel master cylinders were mandated by the feds. Avanti Motors, being a small volume manufacturer did receive temporary exemptions for many safety mandates.
            Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Working...
            X