1967 Avanti "prototype"???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1967 Avanti "prototype"???

I can't figure out how to post youtube stuff here, otherwise I would've done it...
    Go to youtube & write:

"RARE!! 1967 Avanti/Studebaker Prototype Supercharged Low Milage Magazine Car"...

I bet you're gonna wonder what this guy is aiming at...

Is he a pathetic lier?
    sigpic

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

There were Avanti11 anniversary cars built with super chargers. I don't remember the year.

Comment

Nox,
      Is this the car you were talking about?

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

To do a "COPY" and "PASTE", when you are watching something, move the cursor to the address bar, then left click to make it highlight in BLUE, then right click and "COPY".
        Then come back here, type your message, then I hit enter a couple times and right click, then hit "PASTE".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExKx3ngDr1o

Comment

I think this car has been discussed on this forum before...just can't remember what was said about it. Like the BGT in the background, and the wires on the Avanti. cheers, junior
          sigpic
          1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

If that's the car being referred to, it was one-off...it's been described as being built for Robert Morrision of Molded Fiberglass and also that it was intended for high-speed runs at Bonneville. Which of those reasons might be true I've no idea...maybe both are wrong. It's also been written that Nate Altman believed it to be a monstrosity and didn't like it.

It was in a magazine write-up back in (I believe) 1968. The review wasn't very positive as the car was in a poor state of tune at the time. I have the magazine stored away somewhere.
            Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

The trim on the gauges looks like it's getting pitted. It should have been wiped down a couple times a year with an oily rag.
              It still can be helped some by using a soft cloth and Semi Chrome polish.

Comment

He won't tell you the serial number of the car, either.
                64 GT Hawk (K7)
                1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

It is NOT a "prototype".
                  It is NOT a "Studebaker".
                  It was a special build at Avanti. I vaguely remember reading about an early Avanti II with a supercharger and a hood bulge to accommodate the S/C. It may have been for Morrison (MFG).
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The supercharged Avanti 11 that was written about in the performance magazine as I recall was white. And yes , the review was not kind.

Comment

I wonder when and by whom, the Studebaker "S" 's were uncovered!
                      Avanti II's had Blacked out Emblems.
                      Last edited by StudeRich; 12-11-2017, 11:18 AM.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
                        I think this car has been discussed on this forum before...just can't remember what was said about it. Like the BGT in the background, and the wires on the Avanti. cheers, junior
                        Yep, I think someone posted about this video recently

Ah, here it is.....

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...l=1#post571842
                        Last edited by Bordeaux Daytona; 12-11-2017, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Yep Jeff, that's the one!
                          & as I also figured; StudeGary's thoughts are the same as mine.
                          I'm not to familiar with Avanti's but if Studebaker only made'em 63-64 it's pretty silly to call it a Studebaker, & as for "Prototype", I just thought there might be something I & the rest of the world missed...?
                          Last edited by Noxnabaker; 12-11-2017, 12:25 PM.
                          sigpic

Josephine
                          Champion V8
                          4d sedan

Comment

Gun is correct, the car was featured in Car Life in 1968........the car was a "dog" and as such was brought to Pacers Auto in Island Park LI to get some "balls' out of the bowtie 327.....they did improve the output some but Altman was correct the car was just plain "wrong"
                            Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                            If that's the car being referred to, it was one-off...it's been described as being built for Robert Morrision of Molded Fiberglass and also that it was intended for high-speed runs at Bonneville. Which of those reasons might be true I've no idea...maybe both are wrong. It's also been written that Nate Altman believed it to be a monstrosity and didn't like it.

It was in a magazine write-up back in (I believe) 1968. The review wasn't very positive as the car was in a poor state of tune at the time. I have the magazine stored away somewhere.

Comment

Correct it was white
                              Originally posted by lark55 View Post
                              The supercharged Avanti 11 that was written about in the performance magazine as I recall was white. And yes , the review was not kind.

Comment

Working...
                              X