Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3d file makers

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 3d file makers

    I was exploring the possibility of having a pair of license plate frames 3d printed. Anybody out here in studebaker land have the capability of creating a 3d file from a photo ?

  • #2
    I'm watching, I'd like to have my pot metal ones reproduced for everyday use
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

    Comment


    • #3
      Look into a local Maker group. They may have a Kinect or even a regular 3D scanner set up to do that.
      1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
      1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
      1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
      1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
      1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
      1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

      Comment


      • #4
        When you say "license plate frames" are you speaking of the frames that surround the plate, possibly with advertising or the like on the frame? If so when making them some states, including North Carolina have a law that technically bans those. I think they don't enforce it unless it covers any of the printed material on the plate.
        Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser
        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by DougHolverson View Post
          Look into a local Maker group. They may have a Kinect or even a regular 3D scanner set up to do that.
          What about chroming? or "chroming"? Or whatever can make it shiney and silvery?
          Ron Dame
          '63 Champ

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
            When you say "license plate frames" are you speaking of the frames that surround the plate, possibly with advertising or the like on the frame? If so when making them some states, including North Carolina have a law that technically bans those. I think they don't enforce it unless it covers any of the printed material on the plate.
            It seems to be not enforced here, unless you are pulled for something else and they need a reason. We still have plates with the clear covers over them too, and they are illegal as well.
            Ron Dame
            '63 Champ

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post
              What about chroming? or "chroming"? Or whatever can make it shiney and silvery?
              I don't know of any law here in Nazifornia that has anything to do with the frames. Plastic can be chromed and there are places that do 3d printing with metal. Lot of places to do the printing, but first you have to make a STL file of the object to be printed. I think that is the expensive part. I thought maybe a stude person on here might know how to do it at a lower cost. I have been kicking around the idea to try and sand cast one, but I would need the proper blank or take one with lettering on it and remove the lettering then glue the proper lettering on the blank to use for a pattern. Kind of a pita, but I am hell bent on having the dealer frames on my Wagonaire from the dealer that sold it !

              Comment


              • #8
                If I were going to make one, I would make it Generic like the really COOL actual Stude. Dealer Name on Figueroa at 48th. St. in Los Angeles that my Dad's New '64 Daytona came from:
                "Village Studebaker".

                That way, you could defray the cost by selling them to EVERYONE!

                I think this WAS probably it.
                https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9992...7i13312!8i6656
                Last edited by StudeRich; 12-06-2017, 03:06 PM.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

                Comment


                • #9
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Torvick license frame.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	1717493 This is what I want to make, I have had wanted ads on the internet for about a year now. No leads so far

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    For the record, in the US it is against the law in every state to cover the state name or any part of the license number with a frame or anything else that would interfere with it being read. However, states cannot prohibit covering over any slogan or other material (ie, "Garden State") that the state chooses to put on its license plates. That was the decision of the US Supreme Court in the late 1960s, after a person covered over the legend "World's Fair" on his 1964-65 New York license plates. The court ruled that the purpose of a license plate is vehicle identification, and both the state name and tag number were essential to fulfill that function. But vehicle owners could not be obligated to carry advertising for their state or industry.

                    The problem is that some states put their name on the top of the plate, and some on the bottom. So a single "universal" plate frame would have to have thin margins on both the top and bottom -- leaving not a lot of room for readable text.
                    Last edited by Skip Lackie; 12-07-2017, 03:32 AM.
                    Skip Lackie

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by rbigcal View Post
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]69026[/ATTACH] This is what I want to make, I have had wanted ads on the internet for about a year now. No leads so far
                      Try O,Brien Truckers, they cast old club plaques. You may need a minimum order.

                      http://www.obrientruckers.com/

                      Bob

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I don't know if we've discussed this before, but 3D printers are like anything else that manufacturers an actual product. They are "size dependent." Meaning, they might be able to print something as simple as a coffee mug, or a set of pistol grips, but unless it has a fairly large print bed, it might not be capable of printing the rather flat overall dimension of a license plate.

                        For example, my "go to" computer guy sells used 3D printers. From him, you can get into the 3D printer game for under $500 bucks. In his shop, he has a whole wall with a table loaded with various 3D printers. Different capabilities, sizes, and of course, prices. Several times, I have threatened to buy one. But, I know if I ever do, I'll probably never get any of my other projects completed. From what I recall, most of these desk top printers make objects and components within a 5" cube space. Much larger than that, and the price elevates rapidly. Otherwise, I believe larger objects would have to be printed in smaller component/segment pieces and assembled for their completed size.

                        My computer sales friend, for his charity mission work, prints artificial hands, in segments, and assembles them to donate to war victims in Africa. If you have a machine with the appropriate physical print area, a license plate frame should be rather simple once the program is written.
                        John Clary
                        Greer, SC

                        SDC member since 1975

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by jclary View Post
                          I don't know if we've discussed this before, but 3D printers are like anything else that manufacturers an actual product. They are "size dependent." Meaning, they might be able to print something as simple as a coffee mug, or a set of pistol grips, but unless it has a fairly large print bed, it might not be capable of printing the rather flat overall dimension of a license plate.

                          For example, my "go to" computer guy sells used 3D printers. From him, you can get into the 3D printer game for under $500 bucks. In his shop, he has a whole wall with a table loaded with various 3D printers. Different capabilities, sizes, and of course, prices. Several times, I have threatened to buy one. But, I know if I ever do, I'll probably never get any of my other projects completed. From what I recall, most of these desk top printers make objects and components within a 5" cube space. Much larger than that, and the price elevates rapidly. Otherwise, I believe larger objects would have to be printed in smaller component/segment pieces and assembled for their completed size.

                          My computer sales friend, for his charity mission work, prints artificial hands, in segments, and assembles them to donate to war victims in Africa. If you have a machine with the appropriate physical print area, a license plate frame should be rather simple once the program is written.
                          My daughter's 3D printer will print an object about 10" long and 10" wide, I don't know how high, maybe 10 inches.. She could print a license plate frame but it would have to be in two pieces. I'll ask her about making a file from a picture.
                          Jerry Forrester
                          Forrester's Chrome
                          Douglasville, Georgia

                          See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            You can have one 3D printed in white nylon for about $65 each, black nylon for $66, plus tax and shipping. Size is about 12-1/8 x 6-3/4 x 1/4. Don't even ask what it would cost in metal! You can spray it with any color paint you want. The lettering is raised about 0.040". It's not exactly the same font, but closest available to me. Close enough copy for you?

                            I lived and worked in Santa Rosa in the 1970s, remember the Torvick dealership, but they weren't a Studebaker dealer then.

                            Click image for larger version

Name:	license plate frame 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	1717494
                            Gary Ash
                            Dartmouth, Mass.

                            '32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                            ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                            '48 M5
                            '65 Wagonaire Commander
                            '63 Wagonaire Standard
                            web site at http://www.studegarage.com

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by garyash View Post
                              You can have one 3D printed in white nylon for about $65 each, black nylon for $66, plus tax and shipping. Size is about 12-1/8 x 6-3/4 x 1/4. Don't even ask what it would cost in metal! You can spray it with any color paint you want. The lettering is raised about 0.040". It's not exactly the same font, but closest available to me. Close enough copy for you?

                              I lived and worked in Santa Rosa in the 1970s, remember the Torvick dealership, but they weren't a Studebaker dealer then.

                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]69027[/ATTACH]
                              Is that picture exactly as it would be printed ? Is that the 3d file ?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X