Installing new seals.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing new seals.

Today, I was installing some new seals/gaskets.
    Got to the cowl seal. Couldn't decide which was the best location.

Should the cowl seal be installed all the way back against the vertical wall of the shelf?

Or all the way to the front of the shelf?

Or in the middle of the shelf?

Also, is this the way the seal goes on, or does it go the other way around?
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Looking at mine it appears it should go in the middle of the shelf and the other way round.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
      Looking at mine it appears it should go in the middle of the shelf and the other way round.
      Thanks Ed.
      Is your's original? Is your seal still the one that was installed at the factory?
      thanks.
      Jerry Forrester
      Forrester's Chrome
      Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

I've owned and worked on MANY of these, but I honestly do not remember this detail.
        I looked at factory pictures and the cowl seal appears to be placed near the back of what you call the shelf.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

That cowl seal should have the high side forward with the leading edge just back from the firewall edge. Can forward a image of mine if you wish.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
          MELBOURNE.

Comment

Ok. I think the consensus is, I need to turn it around and place it in the middle of the shelf.
            thanks guys.
            Jerry Forrester
            Forrester's Chrome
            Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
              Ok. I think the consensus is, I need to turn it around and place it in the middle of the shelf.
              thanks guys.
              Okay. Yesterday morning I glued the cowl seal on. I turned it around and put it close to the front edge of the shelf. That left about 3/16" between the seal and the vertical part. Looks good there.
              BTW, I have found that for installing rubber seals, I much prefer the brush-on contact adhesive as opposed to the black super 3-M trim adhesive that I have always used in the past. With the 3-M adhesive you have apply the adhesive then tape the seal on and wait for it to dry and hope it stays in place. Using the brush-on contact adhesive, you put a thin coat on the seal and a thin coat on the place you want the seal to be, wait ten minutes and install the seal. Just be sure you put it where you want it the first time. There will not be a second chance.

Jerry Forrester
              Forrester's Chrome
              Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
                Thanks Ed.
                Is your's original? Is your seal still the one that was installed at the factory?
                thanks.
                Jerry,
                Yes, I need to replace mine. It is the one that come on the truck from the factory and is overdue for replacement.
                It looks like you got your installed. It looks just right. I may try your contact cement idea as long as that stuff can hold up to the weather.
                Ed Sallia
                Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Working...
                X