Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

early 1953 studebaker vin, (serial) numbers

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Jeff_H, how come no reference to Vernon built '53 Commander Starliners (serial numbers starting at 882nnnn and ending with 883nnnn
    or same year Champion Starliners from Vernon (serial numbers starting at G-917nnn and ending with G-927nnn)?
    I have a '53 Commander Starliner which has the Tristars and is serial number 8834960 (pretty late in the run).
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
    '62 GT Hawk (4 speed, A/C, Power steering - running and DRIVING!)

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by brngarage View Post
      Jeff_H, how come no reference to Vernon built '53 Commander Starliners (serial numbers starting at 882nnnn and ending with 883nnnn
      or same year Champion Starliners from Vernon (serial numbers starting at G-917nnn and ending with G-927nnn)?
      I have a '53 Commander Starliner which has the Tristars and is serial number 8834960 (pretty late in the run).
      My post here (number 8) answers this (they were not deleted on Vernon cars).
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

      SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by brngarage View Post
        Jeff_H, how come no reference to Vernon built '53 Commander Starliners (serial numbers starting at 882nnnn and ending with 883nnnn
        or same year Champion Starliners from Vernon (serial numbers starting at G-917nnn and ending with G-927nnn)?
        I have a '53 Commander Starliner which has the Tristars and is serial number 8834960 (pretty late in the run).
        I thought Champions were "Starlight", but I could be wrong. Been trying to pin this down for months now. Registered a 1953 Hardtop a few weeks ago and the registry was grilling me on the names Regal and Starliner versus Starlight.

        Comment


        • #19
          Champions and Commanders had the same Bodies so WHY would the Champions be named differently than the Commanders?

          A Coupe is a "C" Body Starlight Coupe.

          A Hardtop is a "K" Body Starliner Hardtop.

          They came in either Champion Sixes OR Commander V8's.

          Starliners were all Regals.
          Starlights came in C3 or C5, Deluxe or Regal.

          No wonder you were "heckeled".
          Last edited by StudeRich; 12-06-2017, 03:00 PM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

          Comment


          • #20
            i'm just tickled to have one finally. i was 13 when they came out and fell in love. really appreciate all the feedback. thank you all!
            gfperry

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by studegary View Post
              55 56 PREZ 4D - (I didn't want to repeat your chart.) Your chart does not include the K body Starliners.
              I added the info to my chart. Thanks
              South Lompoc Studebaker

              Comment


              • #22
                Where did you get the low mileage 1953? Post some pictures!!!

                Comment


                • #23
                  bought the car in massachusetts. sorry, no pictures from this old guy, don't know how, don't really want to learn, this computer stuff oftentimes makes my head hurt! try to picture car in bright red with a white top that has bias ply wide whites probably 30 years old. (will be replaced by the four new hancooks just received from discount tire. thanks to a previous poster for the heads-up.)
                  gfperry

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by arkusvt View Post
                    bought the car in massachusetts. sorry, no pictures from this old guy, don't know how, don't really want to learn, this computer stuff oftentimes makes my head hurt! try to picture car in bright red with a white top that has bias ply wide whites probably 30 years old. (will be replaced by the four new hancooks just received from discount tire. thanks to a previous poster for the heads-up.)
                    If it is bright red with a white top, it is either a repaint/color change or it is a 1953 Spring Special (Bombay Red and Salem White). If so, it should have flax (cream color) vinyl upholstery and Monterey Beige metal trim (instead of Loma Gray).
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

                    SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      refer to post #9. repaint 28 years ago,(still looks great). has a red vinyl interior, i'm not a student of these cars, just a fan so can't speak to it's correctness or lack of.
                      gfperry

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by arkusvt View Post
                        refer to post #9. repaint 28 years ago,(still looks great). has a red vinyl interior, i'm not a student of these cars, just a fan so can't speak to it's correctness or lack of.
                        That really fits the description of one that I supplied parts and information for that was "restored"" in (I believe/IIRC) Minnesota at about that time.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

                        SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X