No announcement yet.

What Was Spayed All Over My Firewall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, it has been three days since this thread was started. You asked a serious question, to which I first responded with an attempt at humor. (I apologize) However, seeing that the discussion is still active, I'll add this...

Since you are concerned with removing an unwanted coating while trying to preserve the original coating, I would recommend you start with a progression of weaker to aggressive solvents. I am not a chemist, but I have had lots of experience with solvents, and coatings. I have sold, installed, and serviced coatings application equipment from handheld paint guns, to robot mounted electrostatic aero bell applicators to paint everything from golf balls, BMW's, and Mack Trucks.

Our "go-to" everyday cleaning solvent in the shop was a circulating parts cleaner with a vat full of lacquer thinner. Even with tough solvent resistant catalyzed coatings, a bath in a high-grade lacquer thinner will soften the coating after a good soaking. Most of us don't have such safety equipment in our home shops, nor would we want one. If it were my car, I would start out with the mildest solvent (soap & water), and move up from there. Perhaps, as has already been suggested, try other cleaners, like household cleaner/degreaser, mineral spirits, denatured alcohol, etc. I'm sure, with a little research, you can find a listing of solvents from the mildest to most aggressive. But that would be my approach. It's been awhile, but I think you can still go to some of the big box stores and buy a can of MEK solvent that would strip that firewall down to bare metal in short order. That is if you survive inhaling the fumes and potential fire hazard.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
    X