Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halibrand1
    replied
    I was in the lobby with Steve and he made the comment I don't know if the Car will get noticed where it was located . Right after that the guys that did this report showed up that answered that question with this feature and continued to receive attention . Steve and Andy Beckman had information posters displayed so the public got educated about how Special the car is and why it's in a Prime Location . After the Show it was on its way to the Studebaker Natiomal Museum so make sure to check it out .

Leave a comment:

• 4thtolast
    replied
    Seeing Steve’s luck finding this barn find, I would like him to buy me a lottery ticket!

Leave a comment:

• Buzzard
    replied
    I think one word describes the pic in post # 16 "Elegance".
    Owning a '63, of course I am prejudiced.
    Bill

Leave a comment:

• daytonadave
    replied
    I visited Steve when he started pulling the car apart.Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0762.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	1717303

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    Originally posted by R3 challenger View Post
    Great job of restoration, Steve. Beautiful car, and being the Chicago Auto Show Hawk makes it pretty special. I was the friend Steve referred to who helped him determine that this was the Motor Trend cover car and Chicago Auto Show Hawk. It was a fun, rewarding research project; 'glad I was able to help.
    It looked FANTASTIC in the lobby of the Donald E. Stephens Convention Center:

Craig

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
    Does this car have the 1962 firewall that Studebaker used in the early 1963 Hawks?
    I guess they wanted to use up the left over stampings.
    The defroster hole was blanked off on those.
    I have one of those bodies and a complete R2 engine with original R2 carb and N.O.S. air cleaner and a full dash with 160 speedo and red line tac plus automatic from a 1963 Hawk for sale if some wants to build a clone of this car.
    Robert Kapteyn
    studebaker@mac.com
    No Robert, this Car is Late enough to have a real '63 Firewall, even though it IS Early enough to have a Silver Dash and Flush Turn Signal, Housings, Lenses, Side Grilles and Side Grill Housings, a WHOLE Lot of '63 GT's were what call "Early" because of that, not just a few VERY early ones like your's.

I have seen a few VERY early '63 GT's like your's with leftover '62, blanked out Defroster Holes, we had one here.

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    Originally posted by PeterHawk View Post
    I had the pleasure of judging this GT Hawk in South Bend. When doing so I noted the tail light housings were painted like the '64 GT Hawk and the chevrons on the doors were more like the '64 GT Hawks. When I questioned Steve about this he referred me to the Chicago picture. I wish he would have the production order to authenticate the car as the "Chicago" GT Hawk with those deviations from the stock '63 GT Hawks. That should be part of the display documentation.
    That would have been easy, too, Peter.

I'm assuming you judged the car at the 2017 SDC International Meet this past May, 2017? If so, Steve could have had a copy of the April 2014 Turning Wheels. That car was the cover car and had my feature article about the car being found and its restoration. Included in that article is the detailed Shippers Copy of the Production Order.

However, even the Shippers Copy of the Production Order could not authenticate the custom touches applied to the car after it was shipped, like the wire wheels and the painted half roof. That is where the period photos would have to be accepted as proof of the car being restored to "As displayed by Studebaker at The Chicago Auto Show" status. BP

Leave a comment:

• PeterHawk
    replied
    I had the pleasure of judging this GT Hawk in South Bend. When doing so I noted the tail light housings were painted like the '64 GT Hawk and the chevrons on the doors were more like the '64 GT Hawks. When I questioned Steve about this he referred me to the Chicago picture. I wish he would have the production order to authenticate the car as the "Chicago" GT Hawk with those deviations from the stock '63 GT Hawks. That should be part of the display documentation.

Leave a comment:

• R3 challenger
    replied
    Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
    George: If you listen very closely at 2:26 in the video, Steve acknowledges you as having determined it was "that" car.

There's a lot of noise in the background at that point and the microphone is pointed the wrong direction to hear Steve with clarity, but he does reference "a friend of mine; George Krem." BP
    You're right, Bob; thanks.

A mutual friend of ours painted this car. if you study the paint job closely, you'll find it's one of the finest in the country. Howard Steinfath's paint jobs have won top awards many times; this R2 Hawk certainly shows it. (He also did a beautiful job on my Golden Hawk.) Howard is a real artist when it comes to body work and painting.

George

Leave a comment:

• Buzzard
    replied
    Thanks for the wonderful post, Bob. Now I'm all enthused about getting my '63 back on the road, perhaps this next year, with Jack & Jeff's magic on a 308 CID. Seeing as my car is all original black, I guess I won't have to paint the roof panel!

Also my spear lights were never turn, but rather park only.
    Great exposure, thanks again.
    Cheers, Bill

Leave a comment:

• Commander Eddie
    replied
    Awsome! A great story and great coverage. Lou seemed genuinely impressed by the car, as was I.

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    Originally posted by R3 challenger View Post
    Great job of restoration, Steve. Beautiful car, and being the Chicago Auto Show Hawk makes it pretty special. I was the friend Steve referred to who helped him determine that this was the Motor Trend cover car and Chicago Auto Show Hawk. It was a fun, rewarding research project; 'glad I was able to help. George
    George: If you listen very closely at 2:26 in the video, Steve acknowledges you as having determined it was "that" car.

There's a lot of noise in the background at that point and the microphone is pointed the wrong direction to hear Steve with clarity, but he does reference "a friend of mine; George Krem." BP

Leave a comment:

• R3 challenger
    replied
    Great job of restoration, Steve. Beautiful car, and being the Chicago Auto Show Hawk makes it pretty special. I was the friend Steve referred to who helped him determine that this was the Motor Trend cover car and Chicago Auto Show Hawk. It was a fun, rewarding research project; 'glad I was able to help.

George

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
    Does this car have the 1962 firewall that Studebaker used in the early 1963 Hawks?
    The defroster hole was blanked off on those. Robert Kapteyn
    I dunno, Bob. There are some close-ups of the firewall in Lou's video, so take a look and tell us what you think. BP

Leave a comment:

• rkapteyn
    replied
    The defroster hole was blanked off on those.
    I have one of those bodies and a complete R2 engine with original R2 carb and N.O.S. air cleaner and a full dash with 160 speedo and red line tac plus automatic from a 1963 Hawk for sale if some wants to build a clone of this car.
    Robert Kapteyn
    studebaker@mac.com
    Last edited by rkapteyn; 11-22-2017, 08:07 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X