No announcement yet.

Need advice on a tow vehicle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I paid a premium of about 5K when I bought the 03 cummins and at trade in time it was a 7K bump in value. An 03 gasser is worth nearly nothing by comparison.
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

My .02? Definitely get a 3/4 TON. I drive Suburbans, all 3/4 ton 4X4. Nice to have 4x4, even if you do nearly all higway driving. Because sooner or later, at a car show, you will be directed to park your trailer in a muddy field.

I won't buy a Diesel that requires DEF. Never. Older Diesels are fine, and great for towing. Like Jeff says, the newer gas engines are so much better that the advantage of Diesels for towing is much reduced, as is the fuel economy advantage. Were I to buy a new truck, I would go with gas. If a newer used truck, than what I already own, a Diesel pre-DEF.
      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

We have 2012 Ram 1500 2dr short bed 5.7 Hemi , 6 speed automatic . We purchased it new and it now has 62,000 miles and with the exception of a key fob it has been trouble free , we use it to tow a few times a year , We once towed a Avanti on a trailer and loaded the truck with parts to So.Bend and averaged over 14mpg, The truck has more power than needed to handle anything I've even thrown at it. During the warmer months it averages 17mpg around town , when its cold it drops to 15 mpg. The best I.ve got on the highway was 21mpg , Ed

Comment

Should a known this thread would be a HOT topic...'cause this bumper sticker......didn't appear out of thin air.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

LOL. Yes we all love our trucks. I was always a Ford guy till Dodge came around with the Cummins diesel. Now I really believe they all make a pretty dependable truck. My first truck was a 52 Ford with the flathead V8. I still have it, but needs a little TLC, to be driven again. The mine site that I work at uses all Ford vehicles (a fleet of 200 or so) and they really seem to take a lot of abuse and hold up well.

Comment

Thanks for all the input. I was planning on a 2 wheel drive, but it seems that a 3/4 ton, 2 wheel drive is almost non-existant. Are modern 4WD setups pretty reliable and maintenance free? What is the life expectancy of the automatic transmissions in 3/4 ton trucks? My past experience with automatics is that they need a rebuild around 150K miles.
              Wayne
              "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic‚Äč

Comment

I have never owned a Ford diesel truck, but when I was a course worker for the ECTA a lot of folks used Ford F-350 trucks to tow their race cars. I don't recall and ill comments about these trucks. I have a 2002 F-150 4x4 that I have used to tow cars now and then. It has always preformed well doing this task. The longest tow was a 1958 Commander from south Georgia to North Carolina. We had no problems. The truck also has over has well over 200k on the odometer.
                Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser
                Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

I have a 15 silverado 1500 with 5.3 and tow package. We get about 20 mixed driving and 15 or so towing. We have never had any issues towing a 31 ft airstream even over the Rockies. I would recommend it as a good tow vehicle. It is comfortable, stable and with integrated break controller, grade assist, etc, it tows as good or better than my Dodge 3500 Cummins. BTW, I have towed several studes on Uhaul car hauler with it from S.D., Wisc, Chicago to FL with no issues whatsoever.
                  78 Avanti RQB 2792
                  64 Avanti R1 R5408
                  63 Avanti R1 R4551
                  63 Avanti R1 R2281
                  62 GT Hawk V15949
                  56 GH 6032504
                  56 GH 6032588
                  55 Speedster 7160047
                  55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

I'm going to get soooooo beat up over this input. I all ready feel the pain coming my way.
                    Have you considered a half ton, (I'll use small letters and maybe the pain will be less) toyota tundra? They have excellent reviews and owners swear by them. They have a heavier load capacity then the Big 3 half tons and get good mileage.
                    Disclaimer: I don't own one of these, but would consider it for occasional towing of an enclosed trailer as I have several friends that have them, use them, with well over 100,000 miles and no major problems. They keep telling me that they are made in the USA...........so, maybe they are OK.
                    If you were towing all the time, a diesel is the way to go. I towed the 66 Daytona to South Bend in 2012 with my 2000 Ford F350 1 ton dually crew cab, long bed and got 15.5 miles per gallon of diesel at highway + MPH. That old truck had nearly 100,000 miles on the 7.3 diesel and was still real strong. It was an automatic and I never found out how much it could pull. We had a big 5th wheel that we pulled and I pulled an even bigger one for a friend on occasion.
                    Dang, now you have me missing that old truck again.
                    sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                    1950 Champion Convertible
                    1950 Champion 4Dr
                    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                    1957 Thunderbird

Comment

the Tundra is ok so is the Titan, no better or worst than GM, Ford or Ram, problem is you can't spec them like an American brand truck, tires, rear end, trans and engine match ups, especially for a work truck, plus their dealers don't stock as many.

I believe there are no better 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton or 1 ton pick ups in the world than American trucks.

Comment

Actually, Toyota builds a nice truck. They're comfortable for my 6'4" frame and tow beautifully. I had the use of a ninety-six T100 that pulled my 25' Terry T.T. with total aplomb. But then again, so does Bess ('56 Parkview) and my V8 Champ. As for myself; the proposed load you are describing, I would only attempt with a one-ton truck, if I had my 'druthers. A 3/4 ton truck will likely do it, but can be overfaced with the load and it can get really ugly, really quickly. This illustrates what happens when a 1/2 to 3/4 ton gets in trouble with a trailer swaying (a good example of an overloaded tow vehicle going too fast):

<span style="font-family:comic sans ms;"><font size="3">
                        Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                        Ron Smith
                        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

That could have been avoided by applying the trailer brakes early on.

Comment

I'm kinda in the same situation....I'd like to upgrade from my '99 dodge 4x4, but almost all used (and new) trucks out there are 4 door.....I don't want a 4 door....if I wanted a 4 door, I'd drive a car. Doesn't anyone use a truck for work anymore where they need an 8ft bed???
                            Mike Sal

Comment

Not too many.

The four door is nice for towing a camper. 6' bed nice for maneuvering.

When I had kids at home we towed with Suburbans. We had at least six of them. I'd tow with one today if Dodge offered one with the Cummins. Maybe even a Chevy if they offered it with the diesel.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Sal View Post
                                I'm kinda in the same situation....I'd like to upgrade from my '99 dodge 4x4, but almost all used (and new) trucks out there are 4 door.....I don't want a 4 door....if I wanted a 4 door, I'd drive a car. Doesn't anyone use a truck for work anymore where they need an 8ft bed???
                                Mike Sal
                                No friends, eh? (It's a joke...a joke)
                                I insist on a full crew cab 4 door because I do not want my passenger friends to be smushed into a jumpseat sized for kids and dogs.
                                You can get a crew cab 4 door with an 8' box. They are great in above ground parking lots.
                                And they are expensive because 90+% of the buyers don't want a loooonnng truck.
                                HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                                X