Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking to turn my 65 Cruiser into a 4 barrel beast!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to turn my 65 Cruiser into a 4 barrel beast!

Do I need any Studebaker-special parts to turn my 283 65 Cruiser into a 4 Barrel? Can I just grab any 283 intake manifold with a Rochester 4 barrel to keep it stock? What about air cleaners? I don't know what the Studebaker ones look like. Of course, if anyone has a set-up for sale, I would be interested. Thanks.

Justin- in smoky Napa

Click image for larger version

Name:	back b.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	1755922

Studebaker did not use any 4bbl stuff so just go with any Chevy stuff you can find
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Make sure you get an intake with the oil fill hole in the front or you will have to change your valve covers to the later style with the fill holes in them. Edelbrock makes a nice performer type intake called the EPS that has the hole in front and the last one i bought came with the oil tube and cap.

Comment

Also, the manifold bolt holes need to be the type that are 90 degrees to the head. Somewhere around the mid/late 80's the center bolts changed angles and in the later versions were completely vertical. If your going with a 283 I wouldn't use anything more than an Edelbrock Performer (or equivalent).

They may be linkage length/connection issues and connection of the transmission cable. I have a '85 350 in my Daytona that has a Performer intake and carb. I have a 700R4 not a B/W trans with a home made, adjustable TV Cable bracket. Perhaps something similar for the B/W trans. Try and mimic the length and position of the original. Not showing, but I believe a little tweaking on the original throttle linkage was all I did.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by wittsend; 10-14-2017, 08:15 PM.
        '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

I have the manifold mentioned by lumpy with a 600cfm Edelbrock carb. on the 283 in my '65 Cruiser. I also am using a We used the stock air cleaner by simply enlarging the hole in the bottom of the stock two barrel unit to fit the new four barrel unit. I works fine. I too am using a 700R4 tranny.
          Joe Roberts
          '61 R1 Champ
          '65 Cruiser
          Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

On my '65 Wagonaire, I swapped in a 4-bbl manifold from a '63 Chevy with a Rochester 4GC carb. I had to fabricate a new bracket for the transmission cable. I also had to drill the exhaust manifold for a choke heater tube, so I'd recommend get a '65 or later intake manifold with the heater embedded in the manifold. I used the air cleaner that came with the 4GC. It's been running fine for 16+ years, though the mileage is only 15 mpg.
            Gary Ash
            Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
            ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
            '48 M5
            '65 Wagonaire Commander
            '63 Wagonaire Standard
            web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Edelbrock 1406 carb has an electric choke. It worked on my '62 GT.

Comment

Not sure just adding a 4 barrel will make a "BEAST".
                I have a 4 barrel on my 66 Daytona and it runs well, but don't plan on setting any land speed records or winning many drag races.
                sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                1950 Champion Convertible
                1950 Champion 4Dr
                1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by thunderations View Post
                  Not sure just adding a 4 barrel will make a "BEAST".
                  I have a 4 barrel on my 66 Daytona and it runs well, but don't plan on setting any land speed records or winning many drag races.
                  Well with a few other goodies it might come close. Mine has a mild cam, and a few other things and though not a monster it is not wimpy either. "Beast" is a matter of interpretation. I do know that with just the four barrel I saw an improvement.
                  Joe Roberts
                  '61 R1 Champ
                  '65 Cruiser
                  Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

I do know that with just the four barrel I saw an improvement.
                    On a stock 283", a 4-bbl will add 15 - 20 horsepower, all above 3500 RPMs, if a good dual exhaust system is also added.

jack vines
                    PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                    X