Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"One year only" feature overlap? - Champ trucks...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "One year only" feature overlap? - Champ trucks...

In the years I have been trying to account for Champ trucks, I have tried to educate myself to what is unique to each model year, like the oval embossed door panels are unique to the '62 7E model year.

One of the things I thought was a 5E ('60) only item was the three indentations in the sheet metal above the rear window - I have seen evidence now that those three indentations might have been carried over into the 6E ('61) model year and stopped at some point.

I know people can switch a cab by removing four bolts and switching them over, but what are the chances that they all went with a 5E Champ cab...

I have a number of examples of '61s that have this:

Here is 6E5-129928 - 327th 6 cylinder truck produced:

This is 6E5-130621 - a full 1,011 6 cylinder trucks into production.

Here is a V8 - 6E7-14289:

And another V8 - 6E7-14384 - 583 V8 trucks into production, and the one that got me thinking about this whole question.

Anyone have a '61 Champ that falls under or above these VINs that have these indentations?

I seem to recall reading some discussions about those impressions on the rear panel a long time ago (in turning wheels?). Don't remember the final outcome of the article.....

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Sal View Post
      I seem to recall reading some discussions about those impressions on the rear panel a long time ago (in turning wheels?). Don't remember the final outcome of the article.....
      There was a small note in the recent TW article on the 6E Champs where Fred Fox responded to someone who got in touch with him, indicating that this sheet metal oddity existed... I remember someone saying this at a local chapter meeting back in the mid-90s, but I am sure it has been known by some from the very beginning.

Comment

I notice all your pictured examples have a sliding rear window...
        KURTRUK
        (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

I will take your word for it that all these do have the 3 indentations, but I only have a 20 Inch Monitor Screen, I guess I need a 64 Inch one to see ANY of those 4 vertical separations between the three.

It makes perfect sense that the first few '61's would get the leftover '60 Cabs, but the later ones either are not all that Late production, were modified OR just like the Car bodies, maybe they never used the cabs in Final Assembly in even CLOSE TO any kind of first in, first out sequence at all!

Being an Original "Family Owner" of a '60 5E6-122 myself, I think the MANY "Other" differences between the '60's and ALL the rest, are much more interesting. Just MHO!
          Somewhere there is a String or Posts where we listed all of those.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I have a 5E cab here with serial# 131782 that does not have the indentations. I brought home last week the original cab from my 61 Champ which was a V-8, also without the indentations. I don't have the serial number for it right now but according to the build sheet it was made in late January 1961.
            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
            64 Zip Van
            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

My late 61 E715991 does not have those indentations. It does not have the "kicked up" trim on the fenders either. I believe it has different front fenders though.
              1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

I see three indentations below the rear window on the front panel of the truck bed.
                Is that what you are talking about?

Comment

I don't understand either????? What indentations?...Above the rear window?....I don't see any.....
                  what am I missing?
                  My 62 does NOT have the three lines/indentations on the front panel of the bed.
                  Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
                  I see three indentations below the rear window on the front panel of the truck bed.
                  Last edited by Lou Van Anne; 10-12-2017, 02:38 PM.
                  Lou Van Anne
                  62 Champ
                  64 R2 GT Hawk
                  79 Avanti II

Comment

Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
                    I have a 5E cab here with serial# 131782 that does not have the indentations. I brought home last week the original cab from my 61 Champ which was a V-8, also without the indentations. I don't have the serial number for it right now but according to the build sheet it was made in late January 1961.
                    E5-131782 falls into the 6E production numbers - first one was E5-129601.

Originally posted by Lou Van Anne View Post
                    I don't understand either????? What indentations?...Above the rear window?....I don't see any.....
                    what am I missing?
                    My 62 does NOT have the three lines/indentations on the front panel of the bed.
                    This is the panel that goes from the top of the rear window to the roof. I think the indentations in the bed was only on the narrow bed - wide bed was different.

Comment

Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
                      The early Champ cabs had three indentations in the sheet metal above the rear window. They were deleted later in production. I cannot see them in any of the above photos, but they are clearly visible in real life.
                      Skip Lackie

Comment

I just took these pics to help clarity what Patrick is talking about.

The '60 has the 3 rectangles, the '62 does not.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1978.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	1716763

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1979.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	1716764

Comment

Thanks Matt - the photos I am using were taken by other people so I cannot get the detail others might need to be able to see the differences better.

Comment

My 61 original Champ cab has serial # E7 15829 with no indentations as noted in post #6.
                            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                            64 Zip Van
                            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Last weekend in October - 'bump'

Comment

Working...
                              X