No announcement yet.

Taxi bellhousings and overdrive search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:the factory used a engine plate to match the V8 bellhousing and tranny to the sixes for taxi use.

bell housing 1548859 was used in Y1 sedans with 10.5 inch clutches whether six or V8!

A day of searching found the sixes rear engine plate 1546534 used with standard tranny and 10.5 inch clutch presumably with the above mentioned
    bellhousing.
    Somewhere I have a V8 bellhousing but to find a 1546534 backing plate No one said life was easy

The discouraging part about our parts books is we can figure out how Studebaker did something but 40 years out from the shutdown our parts books sometimes are just a historical record because no one figured that an oddball part like a taxi bellhousing or shifter would have any value when the car eventually died the whole car went to the scrapper to be turned into washing machines and later Toyotas.

Jeff T.

Jeff T.

"I'm getting nowhere as fast as I can"
    The Replacements.
    \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
    The Replacements.

Comment

quote:the factory used a engine plate to match the V8 bellhousing and tranny to the sixes for taxi use.

bell housing 1548859 was used in Y1 sedans with 10.5 inch clutches whether six or V8!

A day of searching found the sixes rear engine plate 1546534 used with standard tranny and 10.5 inch clutch presumably with the above mentioned
      bellhousing.
      Somewhere I have a V8 bellhousing but to find a 1546534 backing plate No one said life was easy

The discouraging part about our parts books is we can figure out how Studebaker did something but 40 years out from the shutdown our parts books sometimes are just a historical record because no one figured that an oddball part like a taxi bellhousing or shifter would have any value when the car eventually died the whole car went to the scrapper to be turned into washing machines and later Toyotas.

Jeff T.

Jeff T.

"I'm getting nowhere as fast as I can"
      The Replacements.
      \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
      The Replacements.

Comment

Working...
      X