October Turning Wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• October Turning Wheels

By now some of you may have already received your October issue of Turning Wheels. It was mailed on Friday and and I have been derelict in letting you know. If you like what you see, like that we are virtually now back on schedule send a note to our Editor Ann Turner and express your THANKS for her hard work. You'd be amazed how much notes of that type pump her up. If you've got pictures (high resolution a must) send them to her as she will eventually use them. Got a great Studebaker story, well send that to her also as she is always looking for great personal first person SDC member stories.

Canadian and Foreign members, all I can say is be patient as your issue will arrive soon.
    sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

I guess that your use of "virtually" qualifies your statement sufficiently. Mailed on the 22nd is just one week late to the contract date (as of when I was in charge of such things, and since then to my knowledge) of the 15th. I am glad that progress is being made. A long time ago, I suggested that perhaps the mailing could be picked up by one day per month. This would now put TW on schedule in just another seven months. And no, I haven't received Oct. TW.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Heck I just got my September today !
      sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Gary, sorry but times and situations have changed since you were involved. Therefore the 15th does not apply anymore. In addition there are other factors that are involved. Quite frankly, if you believe that you can improve the performance of the Editor why not submit a bid for that role and try? The Board would love to consider it.

Comment

In Canada we usually get TW about a month late,I once got it the next month from publication.Never give what you say you will seems to be the motto !

Comment

Let us all thank Editor Ann Turner for the unbelievable beautiful Turning Wheels !

Comment

All things considered, the Board and Ann have made significant strides in getting Turning Wheels on a realistic schedule. Many of you will remember my involvement in a one-year project a couple of years back with monthly delivery surveys on the Forum. Since then, improvements have been made within SDC, but service has declined with the postal service, particularly in Canada where we are running as much as a month later than U.S. delivery. That is totally out of our control but we'll probably have to start compensating for such service deficiencies in the future.

Rather than get into a debate over an exact date schedule, let's all just remember that ideally we need to get Turning Wheels into the hands of members by the last day of the month preceding issue date, i.e. September 30th for October issue. If this is achieved then "What's Happening" can be read by all before the events have occurred.

The other reason timeliness is important is that our paying advertisers deserve to have their messages read in a timely manner, i.e. there is no point in notice of Christmas specials being conveyed to members when late delivery means they cannot possibly order and receive delivery in time for Christmas giving. As an old advertising man, I would quickly cancel my advertising if the publisher is unable to meet deadlines.

Since the huge majority of our members reside in the U.S. then as long as we can achieve the goal of delivery by month's end for them, then I think we have done our best. SDC cannot possibly ride herd on postal practices in the rest of the world.

Stu Chapman

Comment

I am very impressed with Turning Wheels Magazine. A very high quality club publication. And I am very thankful for the hard work it takes to make it so nice and timely. Keep it up!
                1950 Commander Land Cruiser
                1951 Champion Business Coupe
                1951 Commander Starlight
                1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
                1953 Champion Starlight
                1953 Commander Starliner
                1953 2R5
                1956 Golden Hawk Jet Streak
                1957 Silver Hawk
                1957 3E5 Pick-Up
                1959 Silver Hawk
                1961 Hawk
                1962 Cruiser 4 speed
                1963 Daytona Convertible
                1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
                1965 Cruiser
                1970 Avanti

Comment

Originally posted by Avantidon View Post
                  Gary, sorry but times and situations have changed since you were involved. Therefore the 15th does not apply anymore. In addition there are other factors that are involved. Quite frankly, if you believe that you can improve the performance of the Editor why not submit a bid for that role and try? The Board would love to consider it.
                  I understand that it is a difficult job. I wasn't looking for it to be caught up all at once. Once it is caught up, by gaining a day each month, it is still one month between issues. No matter the date of mailing, it does not change the workload or frequency of mailing. The Editor and printer would still have one issue to get out every month.

Since "...the 15th does not apply anymore", what date is now in the Request for Quotes and Contracts?
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

We will be accepting quotes for the editor's role thru the 15th of November 217 as Ann's contract is up at the end of this year. By the way she will be submitting a proposal to continue as our Editor.. The Printers contract was approved at the May Board meeting in South Bend for three years at no increase of cost to the SDC, Competing contract was more than $500.00 per month higher.

Comment

I posted on the forum about What's Happening. Events which appear in TW under What's Happening are also on the SDC site as I have them right up to Dec. 31 of 2018. There are instructions on where on the SDC site to find these events. Susan Lusted See Below
                      Just a note to remind all of you that Studebaker and related events are listed in Turning Wheels under What's Happening and also on the SDC website. At this time, there are events listed until December 31, 2018 on both the SDC site and in What's Happening. I have tried to the best of my ability to list every event in both places. For those which I receive too late to post in Turning Wheels, I do post them on the SDC site. In Turning Wheels, when you see the Facebook logo at the end of an event listing that means there is a Facebook presence for that chapter. Also, there is an update in the listing for the upcoming International Meet in 2018. I have emailed all of my event contacts a copy of the hotel accomodations also.
                      Check here and there are four ways that events are listed,
                      SDC International Meets: http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/sdcmeet.asp
                      Local Chapter Events: http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/events.asp These are listed by state or province.
                      Zone Meets: http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/eventszone.asp
                      International Zone Meets: http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/eventsintlzone.asp
                      If you need more information, please email me and l will assist you. studenews@outlook.com

Remember to check out the SDC Facebook presence at the link.
                      https://www.facebook.com/StudebakerDriversClubInc/
                      ‚Äč
                      Susan Lusted, What's Happening Turning Wheels
                      studenews@outlook.com

Comment

Got my October TW on the 3rd. Nice reading about the '54 models. I was pleasantly surprised to see the pictures I sent Ann a few months ago are in there.
                        Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

As I have a double interest in the thread (Studebaker owner and retired Postal employee) is the process for mailing different for 1st Class Turning wheels? Also, I would be curious if some of the forum members received their copy first class as to the date of arrival. If I understand the first post on the 26th, Turning Wheels was taken to a distribution center on the 22nd. Does anyone know how many people get their Turning Wheels First Class Mail?

Bob Miles
                          Tucson Az

Comment

Got to agree with 2R5 just got Sept issue delivery times are not improving but getting worse . Let's hope for better times ahead .

Old Fart

Comment

Originally posted by old fart View Post
                              Got to agree with 2R5 just got Sept issue delivery times are not improving but getting worse . Let's hope for better times ahead .

Old Fart
                              Well in a way that's kinda good to hear because I'm still waiting for my Sept. issue...I'm hesitant to contact cornerstone because on two or three other occasions I've contacted them to send a replacement issue out only to have the missing issue show up the next day and then the replacement issue show up about a week later. I have no idea what Canada Posts problem is, but there must be something wrong somewhere with them. Cheers, Junior
                              sigpic
                              1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Working...
                              X