53-54 sedan hood length

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 53-54 sedan hood length

I'm looking to buy a 53-54 (sedan) hood for my 55 sedan & I wonder if anyone knows the length from one rear corner to the front corner on the same side?
    (The guy said his is 131 cm / slightly more than 51.5 inches.)
    Thanx beforehand!

He could not tell if it had a huge HUMP in front, Center, (Sedan) or a low sweep as in a C or K model?

UPDATE: Yes I measured a '54 sedan at the outer edge at Fender, it is 50 7/8", because of the curve of the cowl it quickly becomes 51 1/8" or so moving toward the Center.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 09-23-2017, 01:29 PM. Reason: Added data in MAROON
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	StudeHuv.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	1716547Aha, thanx!
      So that means he probably didn't measure to the outer front corner...
      This is the hood.

Comment

I have a 53 sedan hood available/for sale. How are you going to put a 53/54 hood on a 55? The whole front end is different, isn't it? Or is that just the coupe/Hardtops.

Comment

That hood certainly appears sedan. I just did a quick measurement on my C Model and rear corner to front corner is 56", about 142 cm. I suspect the C/K models also have a narrower front edge than the sedans. Perhaps Rich could do a quick check to verify. My C model nose is close to 5-1/2", or 14 cm. Click image for larger version

Name:	P9230112.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	1716549

But Eric is quite correct. You do not want a hood from ANY '53-'54 if you hope to fit it to a '55.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Yes, there is no doubt, it's a '53-'54 Sedan Hood.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Now I found trouble enough to let the whole thing be: Josephine's hood is longer at the rear corners because she is a Ultra-Vista, so the hoods for the flatter windshields are more straight at the rear.
              I've seen those who put older/earlier front fenders on without problem so I thought the hood would also work, lucky enough I didn't buy it!
              Pitty with the looks thou, now it's cutomizing time,
              I always wanted to put a 55-56 Dodge grill on if I couldn't get a 53-54 hood so...

Click image for larger version

Name:	1955Dodge.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	1716554Click image for larger version

Name:	1956Dodge.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	193.3 KB
ID:	1716555
              As a kid I thought they were Studebakers too.
              Life just changed direction a bit...

Comment

Some years ago I owned a Dodge Custom Royal identical to the one in the photo it had a 313 cubic inch engine just before the 318s. I paid $100 because it had a thrown rod, I replaced the rod from an auto wrecker and drove it 100,000 miles trouble free. It had a push button automatic.

Comment

Nice! So it was a -56, -55's had a stick, any photo of it or is that to much off topic?

Comment

Working...
                  X