Tachometers for 6 volt positive ground systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tachometers for 6 volt positive ground systems

Although I am new here, I've been on several boards (mainly old Ford related) for a long time, and in my travels, I have seen more than a few requests looking for tachometers to run on 6 volt positive ground cars. There seems to be one choice, and they are quite bland and expensive. Because of this, I've gotten together with a friend who is a long time electrical engineer and we have developed a "black box" that allows the use of most currently available 12 volt negative ground tachs on 6 volt positive ground cars. We made three prototypes about a year ago and have been field testing them since. The tests were successful, so we incorporated a few improvements we deemed desirable, and have just finished a run of 10 production units. Six have been spoken for, so I still have 4 available. I am posting this here to see if there is any interest. I've posted a couple of photos, The first shows a small SunPro unit in my '51 Ford at idle. The second shows the unit itself (the black box mounted on the firewall; please excuse the messy wiring; I'm still in test mode). Also, here is a link to a YouTube video of one of the prototype units running on a Mercury engine on my test stand. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaxpuDkWAqc

If anybody has any interest in these, you can contact me by email at dennyodoms@gmail.com. The units are priced at $120 each plus $7.15 shipping.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Tubman; 09-24-2017, 06:42 PM.

That is a very useful and needed item Denny thanks for posting.

We know a Guy here that runs his '55 Stude. V8 at the Muscle Car Drags, that maybe could use that!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Rich, thanks for the kind words. I appreciate them. Yeah, for racing you can run one of the fancy new units with a shift light and rev limiter and all that jazz. We have tested this with everything from a $10 "swap meet special" to a $600 Autometer high end racing unit, and they all worked. We have found the more expensive the tach, the more accurate it will be.
      Last edited by Tubman; 09-23-2017, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Bringing this back to the top because I have only two of the original run left. If there is enough interest, I will try to get 10 more done before I leave for Florida (it it's open) for the winter next month.

Comment

Working...
        X