Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Push button transmission

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Push button transmission

    A sales guy stopped by & was looking at my '63 Avanti & said he remembers a neighbor who had a sliding roof Wagonaire back in the '60's. He said he thought it had a push button transmission. Sorry, but I'm not as knowledgeable about transmission options for Studebakers back in the '60's, other than Avantis, so I said I'd post the question. Am I showing my total lack of knowledge on this subject in which case I apologize to those who might be offended. I just figured I'd appeal to the historical collective knowledge of the "wiser" ones.
    Thanks
    "Every man I meet on the street is superior to me in some respect, and from that I can learn."
    R.W. Emerson

  • #2
    Originally posted by dleroux View Post
    A sales guy stopped by & was looking at my '63 Avanti & said he remembers a neighbor who had a sliding roof Wagonaire back in the '60's. He said he thought it had a push button transmission. Sorry, but I'm not as knowledgeable about transmission options for Studebakers back in the '60's, other than Avantis, so I said I'd post the question. Am I showing my total lack of knowledge on this subject in which case I apologize to those who might be offended. I just figured I'd appeal to the historical collective knowledge of the "wiser" ones.
    Thanks
    Chrysler cars (Plymouth, Dodge, DeSoto and Chrysler) used push-button automatic transmission shifters starting in 1956. They used them for a few years, but I don't remember when they went back to conventional shifters. Several other cars offered them at one time or another (Packard, Edsel). Studebaker? Never.
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

    Comment


    • #3
      Ramblers owned by my uncle and grandfather had pushbutton automatics, these were 1959 and 1962 models. Not sure when Rambler went back to the column shifter. In any case, the person you spoke with was probably confusing Studebaker with Rambler, which isn't the first time this has happened, lol.

      Comment


      • #4
        I am sure Studebaker never used push buttons for their automatics. I did have a 1956 Packard with an electronic push button transmission. It was wonderful. Wish Studebaker HAD used them. But, no.
        Ed Sallia
        Dundee, OR

        Sol Lucet Omnibus

        Comment


        • #5
          I believe Rambler used push buttons. May he is confusing the Wagonaire with a Rambler stayion wagon.
          78 Avanti RQB 2792
          64 Avanti R1 R5408
          63 Avanti R1 R4551
          63 Avanti R1 R2281
          62 GT Hawk V15949
          56 GH 6032504
          56 GH 6032588
          55 Speedster 7160047
          55 Speedster 7165279

          Comment


          • #6
            My neighbor had a pushbutton tranny in his 63 Nova. It hung loose under the dash because his car had a Mopar transplant.

            Comment


            • #7
              To answer the immediate question: No, Studebaker didn't have any push-button shifters. The closest would have been the electric push-button shifters on Studebaker-Packard Corporation-built 1956 Packards and Clippers.

              As others have said, people have confused Studebaker with Rambler and MoPar. Many people think Rambler and Studebaker are the same company anyway! BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

              Ayn Rand:
              "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

              G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                To answer the immediate question: No, Studebaker didn't have any push-button shifters.
                Exactly! http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ght=pushbutton

                Craig

                Comment


                • #9
                  The last year for push button transmission in Mopars was 1964. Probably more than one reason for the change, but I vaguely remember some mention of government (no necessarily the Feds) requiring PRND21 shifters for fleet orders as a standardization issue.
                  Jim K.
                  63 Hawk

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Thanks for the history lesson & I'll pass along the "correct" information. I always "learn" something new at each car event. Two weeks ago a guy walks up to me and asks, "What year did they quit making the Avanti in Germany?" Huh?
                    Sunday is the Snohomish meet & who knows what I'll learn there.
                    "Every man I meet on the street is superior to me in some respect, and from that I can learn."
                    R.W. Emerson

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by dleroux View Post
                      Thanks for the history lesson & I'll pass along the "correct" information.
                      Good luck with that. Let us know how it goes.
                      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

                      17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                      10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                      10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                      56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                      60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Push button shifters aren't exactly new. The 1914 Norwalk Underslung had an electric gear shifter mounted on the right side of the steering column. You can see the pushbuttons in the mirror against the right door.
                        Attached Files
                        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Answering the guy about what year they quit making Avanti's in Germany I'd answer "1961!"...
                          sigpic

                          Josephine
                          -55
                          Champion V8
                          4d sedan

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I like it. I'll keep it in mind the next time I'm asked. At another event a guy walks by with his young son in hand & says, "That's one of those cars that goes in the water." "Not intentionally," I answered.
                            "Every man I meet on the street is superior to me in some respect, and from that I can learn."
                            R.W. Emerson

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by 53k View Post
                              Push button shifters aren't exactly new. The 1914 Norwalk Underslung had an electric gear shifter mounted on the right side of the steering column. You can see the pushbuttons in the mirror against the right door.
                              So did the 1918 Premier. The shift mechanism was made by Cutler-Hammer.

                              Craig

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X